What's new

what av receiver to buy? (1 Viewer)

Bunkie_r

Auditioning
hi guys! i am new to the forum.

i just got myself b&w series 3 602s, 601s and an LCR60.
have not gotten a receiver yet. would appreciate your help in purchasing a good receiver that will be used 100% of the time for watching movies.

i was thinking of getting a denon 1803 or a 3802. will the 1803 be just right or underpowered? i am not really well versed in HT. someone said i should get the 3802 which is a bit more expensive.

which of the two should i get? can you guys suggest something more compatible to my speakers if ever? thanks

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome to the forum. I can recommend the 3802,it should be a good match for your speakers. I can't comment on the 1803 as I've never heard it. I'm the type who will always spend a little extra to avoid buyers remorse. Have you ever heard anyone say "damn,I wish I bought the smaller T.V." :D Good luck in your choice.

RobertSchaez

Stunt Coordinator
If I remember right, those speakers aren't too hard to drive, so I think either one will have enough juice (you can always ask the place you bought your SPEAKERS, the place selling the receiver may say anything for the sale). The big question, is how much money do you truly have to spend on a receiver, and are you one of those people who likes to upgrade to the latest, greatest new features every year or so. If you are the later, get the 1803. If you are willing to hang on to it for a few years, get the 3802, if you can make the $ jump. Just remember, as long as the extra cash isn't going to break you (or cause the wife to!), you may kick yourself later for "settling for" the 1803. Every time I got something I subconsciously thought was inferior, I later regretted saving the few bucks. Of course the ultimate decision on how much money to spend is yours.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
I agree with Robert - I have never regretted spending more. If you don't intend getting a sub, then the 3802 will be substantially better than the 1803 as it has a much bigger power supply going by Denon's track record with their receivers. The straight power figures are misleading unless they are for all channels driven like NAD, Rotel and HK.

Bunkie_r

Auditioning
ok. i am beginning to seriously consider the 3802. Craig_Kg, you mentioned NAD, Rotel and HK. what models of these brands are comparable to the 3802 and more or less in the same price range? are they better than the denon?

thanks for the help guys. dont want to make a mistake by just jumping in the HT thing blindly

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
You would really be happy with the 3802, though there are other great receivers also. It just depends on how much time you want to spend reading reviews and forums and trying to decide on one. You already have your speakers? You must really be anxious to get something so you can hear them! Were you going to buy the receiver locally or on the internet? Lot's of people were buying the 3802 for $699 through the 6th Avenue online site. (somebody help me with the web site here)

Bunkie_r

Auditioning
yup, got the speakers already :) was thinking of buying online bec. it is cheaper but i live in the philippines and shipping will set me back another $200 or so. here they go for $1K so most likely i will get them here.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I recommend you demo the Pioneer 45TX. With the easy automatic set-up(it comes with a microphone)with manual overrides for fine tuning and built-in equalizer, it is hard to beat in the $1000 and under price range, IMO.

All of the receivers mentioned would be satisfying, but I think Pioneer has taken it to another level with the 45.

Good luck,

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks