What's new

What are your top 5 favorite shows from the 1960s? (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I always thought Daniel Boone hit its stride in the color years but declined when Ed Ames left. BTW, I saw tonight that Richard Boone was a direct descendant of the real Daniel Boone and he's apparently a cousin to Pat (who I knew was some relation to Daniel down the line).

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Couldn't agree with you more Ron -- once Ed Ames left "Daniel Boone", the show changed slightly, from what I could figure as a young kid, they tried to be more 'hip', so to speak -- people had much longer hair, certain storylines were similar to non-western shows on at the time, the sixties slowly creeping into the 1840s -- it didn't exactly make sense (and didn't mind it either) but I noticed it as well with other long running shows at the time: "Ironside" notably.

Also, agree about Eric Fleming in "Rawhide" -- he was a powerhouse and the true star of the show but he and Clint made the perfect team -- it is galling to see Clint front and centre on the covers of every season set of "Rawhide", but that's marketing demographics today I guess.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Jimmy Dean and Rosie Greer were both fine actors in their own right, though Jimmy was probably a bit better telling us about Big Bad John. They just weren't replacements for Ed Ames.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Ron1973 said:
Jimmy Dean and Rosie Greer were both fine actors in their own right, though Jimmy was probably a bit better telling us about Big Bad John. They just weren't replacements for Ed Ames.
Well speaking of Jimmy....how many actors didn't find themselves in a James Bond movie and didn't market sausage by a company of their own name. Shine on. :)

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
These are my favorite 60's shows today:The FugitivePerry MasonRoute 66Burkes LawDonna ReedThese are the five 60's shows I probably watched the most back in the dayThe MonkeesBatmanBeverly HillbilliesGet SmartMy Three Sons

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
My Top 5 favorite shows from the 60's:

1. Get Smart
2. Bewitched
3. The Lucy Show
4. The Flintstones
5. Addams Family

Honorable mentions to : The Big Valley, That Girl, My Three Sons, The Munsters, Dark Shadows, Petticoat Junction.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Vic Pardo said:
Okay, choosing only from shows that started after the summer of 1960, I'd have to go with:
Star Trek
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
The Addams Family
Astro Boy
F Troop
What was I thinking here? I like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie a helluva lot more than F Troop. And I liked The Man from U.N.C.L.E. in the 1960s but not when I've watched it in recent years. I have a ton of box sets of '60s series that I need to watch. I've sampled episodes of The Rat Patrol, Combat!, Ultra Seven and Ultra Q and those shows are great! So my favorites may change, although I think Star Trek will stay up there.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
My choices for shows started in the 60s (and beyond the first two, a difficult list to compse!):

Dark Shadows
Peyton Place
Gilligan's Island
Star Trek
Batman

HONORABLE MENTION: The Brady Bunch, Route 66, The Munsters, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Bewitched, Flipper, I Dream of Jeannie, Get Smart, Naked City, Petticoat Junction, The Patty Duke Show, Green Acres, The Judy Garland Show, SHINDIG!, Mission: Impossible, Gidget, The Forsyte Saga, Laugh-In

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Mind you, technically speaking there are a lot of shows that aired in the 60s that actually got their start in the 50s like Gunsmoke, Perry Mason, The Untouchables, The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and Bonanza. Under that technicality I chose not to include them, but you gotta admit, these are great shows!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Thread back from the dead....

I found this original trailer for the premiere of The Fugitive was back in 1963. It's a very short joint trailer with The Greatest Show on Earth, but I still think it's of interest. At that point ABC (or abc) was an also-ran in the ratings, but these shows were clearly quality productions that were meant to get the network back in the race.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
And here's a fan trailer for The Fugitive, using contemporary music by "Audiomachine" as the backdrop:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
This particular fan of 1960s TV has done a few trailers from shows of this era that, imho, are nicely done. Here's her trailer for the second season of The Big Valley:

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Steve Boone, bass player with sixties band The Lovin Spoonful, was also a distant relation of Daniel Boone. At least it was constantly stated at the time.

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
For what its worth, my five favorite TV shows from the Sixties (my favorite TV decade) are...

1 Route 66

2 Run For Your Life

3 Outer Limits

4 Danger Man

5 Tied: Naked City, Combat!, 12 O'Clock High, I Spy, The Virginian... and lots more.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Youtube's watchmojo has given their top ten list of TV shows of the 1960s. The video is entertaining to watch, but to cut to the chase, here's their list in the order they give it:

10. The Flintstones

9. The Beverly HillBillies

8. Gilligan's Island

7. Batman

6. Bonanza

5. Star Trek

4. The Dick Van Dyke Show

3. Dr. Who

2. The Andy Griffith Show

1. The Twilight Zone

honorable mention: Laugh In, Lost in Space, Bewitched, Carol Burnett Show, The Addams Family, I Dream of Jeanie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks