What's new

What are you cleaning your screen with? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I figure I'd better find out what works best on cleaning my RPTV screen before my 3 yr old sneezes on it.

So, what does everyone use. I have the protective cover on my Toshi, it's plastic. I've read Windex is corrosive to plastic and should not be used. I've also read that I should just use warm water... but.. that seems like it would leave streaks... particularily with the well-water I have in my house.

I have a box of "Anti-static" CRT wipes sitting on my desk here at work... they smell like straight isopropyl... would that work?

Has anyone used: Screen Kleen?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Dave, here's the last thread to appear here about the topic:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ing+TV+screens

Avoid any amonia-based glass cleaners; Windex and its ilk are complete no-nos. As for water, only distilled will do; not tap water with its high mineral content.

Non-amonia-based cleaning fluids for eyeglasses and computer screens will also work in a pinch.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Depending on what it is, I just use a clean, dry, soft cloth. Nothing fancy. Of course, my RPTV doesn't have a smooth screen shield either, so cleaning the exposed lenticular screen is quite different.

_Man_

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
Why is Windex a no-no for the protective screen of my 57" Tosh RPTV???

I've used windex on my 27"er for years without problems.

:frowning:

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Why is Windex a no-no for the protective screen of my 57" Tosh RPTV??? I've used windex on my 27"er for years without problems.
Because your Tosh's screen is plastic and the amonia in Windex can damage platic. Your 27" were most likely tube TV's w/ glass screens.

Peace,

DM

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Today's direct-view monitors and TVs are coated with an anti-glare material that's easily ruined by amonia-based cleaners. If the anti-glare material is completely gone, the TV should still be good—but your best viewing experiences will never be during daylight hours.

ChrisMark

Agent
Of course, my RPTV doesn't have a smooth screen shield either, so cleaning the exposed lenticular screen is quite different
_Man_,

I am in the same boat. My screen has some smudges thanks to the kids. The cleaning cloth sent by SONY does not work. What do you use?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I haven't had any particularly bad smudges yet from our hyperactive pre-schoolers. I just use a clean, dry, soft cloth and gently, yet firmly, "work at it". Mostly, I do it in a small, steady, vertical motion, going along w/ the grain and individual ridges of the lenticular screen. Whenever I do go across, instead of along, I keep it gentle, not really "working at it".

In fact, that's how I got rid of some caked-in, off-white smudges that came out-of-the-box on mine. I didn't notice until I saw some bright images that highlighted the smudges, which were off near the bottom left edge of the screen. It was hardly detectable when the TV's off--had to really look for it knowing it's there.

Anyhoo, my guess is that we should worry more about the kids scratching the screen or throwing stuff at it than mere/minor smudges for mildly grubby little fingers. Gotta train them to not break the TV so they can continue to enjoy their cartoons and kiddie movies on it. :D

If you have a baby/toddler (or particularly hyperactive kids) that can't be trained yet, maybe you'll just have to set up a barrier (eg. a toddler gate/fence) to protect the TV. I had to do that just to keep them from playing w/ all the buttons, poking at the main speakers, etc. when they were younger, and I still do it to a lesser extent just for the TV now. I placed our 3ft-squared, glass-top coffee table centered and about a foot in front of the RPTV--it's just enough to keep them from wanting to run pass the TV screen or do anything standing there in the smallish gap.

Every little bit helps w/ hyperactive pre-schoolers...

_Man_

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No, Adam. See my post above. Today's direct-view sets are coated with an anti-glare treatment that is ruined by amonia-based glass cleaners.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
I recommend Endust for Electronics on a protective screen ( not directly on lenticular) or direct view. It's non ammonia based and has worked flawlessly (with a super soft cloth) on my RPTV and home gear for some time. It will take care of any toddler smudges and has even taken care of toddler ink ( DON'T ask!) once.

Just be sure that when you use the pump spray it gets applied onto the cloth, otherwise it may drip down the screen and mess with the electronics/CRT's underneath! Good luck!

Matt

James Herrod

Stunt Coordinator
I used Windex just once on my plastic shield for my Mits RPTV and then immediately checked the manual and found that I shouldn't use ammonia-based cleaners (I know. I should've reversed the order of that procedure). Anyway, I re-cleaned it right away with a damp cloth and I don't notice any damage or changes to the appearance of the screen. My question is; could I have done any damage to the screen that may show up later? As of now, it doesn't appear any worse for wear, but no more Windex for sure. Thanks.

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking last night about swiffers (dry)... but am unfamiliar with their texture... are they abrasive? can i glide them over the screen without touching it to pick off dust?

TimWalsh

Auditioning
Swiffers contain a waxy/oily substance that would make a bigger mess than you probably already have. Follow the distilled water advice above.
Tim

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I've use those Endust mittens that they sell in packs. They say they have NO chemicals or anything on them and they do a great job of picking up dust.

Dan.B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks