What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Malcolm Bmoor said:
As a person who now seldom goes to the cinema, and almost left THE HATEFUL EIGHT last week overcome by excessive sound levels and the stench of popcorn, I'm nostalgic for the time when films had ONE production company logo.

Now there can be five elaborate promotions before the film actually begins - with all those companies now listed again before the title appears.

Whilst I'm complaining I'll add how much I hate it when the credits continue in a leisurely fashion after the start of dialogue.

A typically stupid example is in THE MISSION when the voice announces ONLY ONE MAN COULD ...... as the credit DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY .... appears.

One day, all of those Logos will run longer than the movie itself :thumbsdown:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Malcolm Bmoor said:
As a person who now seldom goes to the cinema, and almost left THE HATEFUL EIGHT last week overcome by excessive sound levels and the stench of popcorn, I'm nostalgic for the time when films had ONE production company logo.
And oftentimes that one production logo was pretty elaborate in itself, as with Columbia's Sunburst/Abstract Torch, or Paramount's Blue Mtn.

Here's the Sunburst/Abstract Torch from 1980 (still, IMO, one of the best of movie studios' production logos, even after all this time):

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Oliver Ravencrest said:
One day, all of those Logos will run longer than the movie itself :thumbsdown:

The end credits are already close. Completely ridiculous that every individual that had a fingerprint on the production, no matter how large or small, has to be listed.

I wish we'd move back toward the days when we had the studio logo, title card, cast list at the beginning, and "The End" at the end. Period.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Malcolm R said:
Completely ridiculous that every individual that had a fingerprint on the production, no matter how large or small, has to be listed.

No kidding! I can't imagine why people and businesses want credit for their work. I mean, anonymity never got in the way of sustaining/building a successful business, right?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Malcolm R said:
The end credits are already close. Completely ridiculous that every individual that had a fingerprint on the production, no matter how large or small, has to be listed.

I wish we'd move back toward the days when we had the studio logo, title card, cast list at the beginning, and "The End" at the end. Period.

This has nothing to do with ensuring that every last person gets listed on the screen and everything to do with union rules ensuring that every last person gets paid properly. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
bmasters9 said:
And oftentimes that one production logo was pretty elaborate in itself, as with Columbia's Sunburst/Abstract Torch, or Paramount's Blue Mtn.

Here's the Sunburst/Abstract Torch from 1980 (still, IMO, one of the best of movie studios' production logos, even after all this time):

I've always been partial to the old Tri-Star logo, myself. (It reminding me of Glory, my favorite movie, probably has something to do with it.)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Aaron Silverman said:
I've always been partial to the old Tri-Star logo, myself. (It reminding me of Glory, my favorite movie, probably has something to do with it.)

I've seen that before! I remember it very well, especially how the Pegasus ran in from the left, and the three stars joined together to make the T which the Pegasus seemed to leap over as it were a hurdle.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Malcolm R said:

Back then, all the techs worked for the studio. You got your credit in a paycheck and when the studio logo came onscreen. :)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Dr Griffin said:
while we're at it -

I remember that one very well too, especially how the stars that went into the O in "Orion" seemed to be specifically selected for that spinning letter O.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Malcolm R said:

Part of the problem is a lot of movies are placing all of the credits at the end of the movie now, so they feel even longer.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Aaron Silverman said:
As a youth sports coach, I have no problem with giving each kid a trophy, as long as the kids who win the championship get a bigger one! ;)

You don't teach them the agony of defeat? :lol:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Dr Griffin said:
You don't teach them the agony of defeat? :lol:
Here's a great way to do it-- Vinko Bogataj's incredibly violent tumble off the side of this ski ramp (1970, I believe it was; apparently recreated for this 1986 ABC Wide World of Sports opening). He survived it, though, and it is the clip that, for the longest time, Jim McKay used to illustrate "the agony of defeat" in the opening of WWOS.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Mike Frezon said:
Was that Al Trautwig playing the part of the skier (before and after the actual footage of the wipeout)?!?
I think that it might have been-- I'm not quite certain, though.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
For some reason I thought of this after watching the ABC Wide World of Sports video. Dave Wottle is still my hero!

Look at that white guy beat two Kenyans! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks