What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment brings the third season of the HBO series Westworld to 4K UHD Blu-ray with a very good transfer. I wish I could say the same about the season.

Parce Domine (2020)

Released: 15 Mar 2020
Rated: TV-MA
Runtime: 68 min

Director: Jonathan Nolan
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi

Cast: Evan Rachel Wood, Thandie Newton, Jeffrey Wright, Tessa Thompson
Writer(s): Jonathan Nolan (created for television by), Lisa Joy (created for television by), Lisa Joy, Jonathan Nolan, Gina Atwater (story editor), Karrie Crouse (staff writer), Suzanne Wrubel (staff writer), Michael Crichton (based on the film written by)

Plot: Dolores sets out to find the architect of the Rehoboam; Bernard tries to blend in; Ex-soldier Caleb tries to find his way in neo-Los Angeles.

IMDB rating: 8.4...

Continue reading...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for the review.

Loved the first season. The second, not so much, but I watched it all.

This third season? I watched the first (and possibly) second episode, turned it off, and decided this just wasn't worth watching any further.

Your review seems to indicate I didn't miss much.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I felt really let down by this season. I think your appraisal was spot on and I don’t think it would have played much differently in a different year. I feel like this show doesn’t know what it wants to be, and perhaps misunderstands why people were interested in the first place. For a show called “Westworld” we spent precious little time in that titular location. I wasn’t really enticed by their depiction of the world outside the theme park and so much of the season felt like retreads of concepts that have been better explored elsewhere and had already been beaten to death. And the central conceit of the season being about stopping an AI that otherwise has nothing to do with Westworld seemed like a reject plot from Nolan’s prior Person of Interest series.

This season neither explored the best of what made this show work in previous seasons, nor did it bring any new ideas to the table. Everything felt like “been there, done that.”

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Thank you for the review.

Loved the first season. The second, not so much, but I watched it all.

This third season? I watched the first (and possibly) second episode, turned it off, and decided this just wasn't worth watching any further.

Your review seems to indicate I didn't miss much.
I am finding it harder and harder to watch movies and shows that mirror our current society, especially those with a bleak outlook.

For example, this season of NCIS: New Orleans has decided to set the show in the present world, showing how the detectives have to conduct themselves while facing a pandemic. The first two episodes dealt with the pandemic head-on, showing an overflowing morgue, overworked medical staff, families having to deal with lost bodies, with the main plot having to do with a ship carrying PPE supplies not being allowed to dock due to possibly infected crew members while conducting a murder investigation. The following episodes have lightened up on the pandemic somewhat, but the show still pushes (and rightfully so) the need to wear PPE and practice social distancing.

The Good Doctor was similar, in that its first two episodes of the season dealt with the pandemic and how it affected the staff of the hospital (and dedicating those two episodes to all who lost their lives and the front line workers who have to deal with it on a daily basis), but changed gears starting with the third episode, putting the pandemic aside and not making it part of the show's narrative after the series' star, Freddie Highmore, introducing that third episode by saying that the rest of the season takes place in a world post-pandemic, yet acknowledging that the pandemic is still an issue. It has made the show much easier to watch, and allowed the writers to go back to the lighter tone of the show.

When I sit down to watch a movie or TV show, it is usually to escape, even for a few hours, everything going on in the world today. I rarely turn on the news anymore, except to catch up on current events, and even that is often difficult to do.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah this season is just an unfortunate mess. If HBO was hoping Westworld was going to turn into the next GOT, it seems like it is for all the wrong reasons.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I bought Season 3 during a sale on iTunes, and I agree with the consensus here that the season was a real mess. We only have watched about half the episodes, but neither my wife nor I are really pushing to finish the season. This was a real disappointment after the first two seasons. If the series comes back for a fourth year, I doubt that we will watch

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reel-to-reel
Recent bookmarks