What's new

Wes Craven's "RED EYE" - Any reviews? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
DreamWorks tends not to send out screeners until street date, so don't expect much - if anything - before then...

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I just picked it up today. Hoping to watch it this weekend. Not sure why I didn't see it theatrically-a film like this is usually right up my alley.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I also saw this today but didn't get it. Got Constant Gardener instead. Had a bad experience with blind buying Craven's last movie. What was its name? The teen werewolf movie.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Cursed and Red Eye are very different. The primary difference is that one (Red Eye) is good and the other (Cursed) is bad. And this is coming from a lifelong Craven fan. :)

Red Eye is a thriller and is completely different from anything Craven's done before. It's more an episode of 24 than like Scream or A Nightmare On Elm Street. I never tell people to blind buy a movie but I highly recommend it as a rental.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Cursed was also heavily tampered with by the studio making it from what was probably a **1/2 - *** star fun movie into a * - *1/2 star dud.

Red Eye has a unique premise and is very well done. Give it a rent. I'm sure you'll enjoy.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, as I said to someone earlier today: Craven kind of redeemed himself with "Red Eye" after he did "Cursed." It's not as good as his classics (Last House on the Left, NOES, The Hills Have Eyes), but it's worth at least a rental for any Craven fan.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Looking foreward to this dvd, I LOVED the film and had a great time utterly loathing Cillian Murphy's character (BOO, HISS!!). I mean, how could he be so mean to someone as sweet and lovely as Rachel McAdams? ;)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Um, did you not see Mean Girls? :D What a bi**h.

I think they said that the entire script pretty much made it to screen. So there isn't some hidden director's cut. Craven filmed pretty much everything the screenwriter had written, and the studio changed very little if anything about the film during production.

For those interested... CURSED was written and they filmed 90% of the movie. Dimension THEN decided the script had problems, and had them rewrite it. They rewrote the entire film, removing whole characters and changing the entire structure and storyline and filmed it again. Again, Dimension thought more work was needed and they went back for more reshoots.

Dimension then removed 2+ minutes of violent footage, covered all the foul language so the movie could get a PG-13 rating.

What exists now is a movie with what seems like no real flow or purpose. You can see the parts that would make up a great movie, but too often it slips into side-stories that add little to the movie. It's a perfect example of a hollywood copy/paste film. Elements of the 3 movie scripts they filmed were taped together to make the closest thing to a workable film. Too bad.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Red Eye was a decent thriller but it could have been so much more if Craven didn't give in to his own horror cliches.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Just watched my R1 copy. Good movie not great but better than the normal average nowadays.

Case is the same as The Island with the 2 locking clips on the spine you either break or undo all the time.

No DTS only DD 5.1. Picture quality is amazing, saw it on my Dell 2405WS TFT via DVI and it looks as good as anything else on DVD (even the all digital transfers!).

Extras are not all that as only 3 short EPK like docs + a commentary but as it is only a single DVD release to be expected. No trailers for Red Eye but some boring forced previews of other DW titles which can be skipped.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
With a short running time (around 82 minutes), they were probably able to jack up the bitrate for the film.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'll probably get my review copy on or shortly after street date. I'll get a review up as soon as I can.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

That's another thing I loved about this movie, it was short and to the point. It seems to me that alot of movies today feel like they need to have at least a two hour running time (whether it needs to be that long or not) since you paid $9.50 to get into the theater. And the end credits are pretty long so the actual story's run time is even shorter than 82 minutes.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
The Walking Tall remake had nearly 11 minutes of credits. I remember watching this at the theater, and they really padded out the credits, usually the names are bunched together and small, but legible on the screen and go by at a nice pace, but Walking Tall's credits were slow, and 1 name at a time scrolled by on the screen. That was lame.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it. A good thriller with good performances from McAdams and Murphy and they both looked great too.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
The Canadian copy I own looks bad, it feels like I'm looking through a jail bar (there are vertical discolouration throughout the movie). I've exchanged the copy at Futureshop and even the 3rd copy have the same problem. :frowning:

Too slow of a movie, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks