What's new

Weekly Roundup 10/21 (The Man With The Hat Is HERE!) (1 Viewer)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
WOW!! Expensive weekend....and I even put some back(Whoa!)

Picked up the Indy Set and gave a customer a present(he picked the set without the extra disc and refused to believe me after I told him. Had to show him the 'bump' in the back of the set). Also picked up 28 Days Later - sight unseen. And the Pink Floyd - Live @ Pompei PM with CC ad for 12.99. I just couldn't pass(willpower...is weak...must...stop...buying...). I also ordered the Dragonslayer from DDD for $9 and change. So roughly $90. Guess I'll have to say goodbye to eating out for a while. :D

Greg S

Supporting Actor
2 discers at Costco per DVDTalk

Here are the 2 for $25 2 disc sets at Costco

Amadeus
Citizen Kane
Dr. Zhivago
Singing in the Rain
Unforgiven
Once Upon a Time in America
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Mission
Color Purple
Casablanca

Greg

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
AND NOW, A WORD FROM YOUR ROUNDUP-ER...

And that word is:
[c]THANKS![/c]

Week in and week out I see lots and lots of gratitude for my work on these threads. Since I seem to have a lot of attention this week in particular (duhhhh...I wonder why! :) ), now is a good time for me to acknowledge that.

"You're Welcome".

I still do these mainly for myself, so *I* can find a good bargain. Or two, or three, or 10. :D But yeah, it DOES take extra work to share them with you, and to include titles that I myself am not interested in.

But it's fun to do, and to see all the energy here in these threads (and various spin-off threads in the Coupons & Bargains section of HTF).

Ah, the C&B section of HTF. Who would think these days that back in early February 2002 (just a bit over a year and a half ago), the entire section was removed because of low traffic.

But we successfully convinced Packy & Ron to give the section another chance, and that they were looking more at low post counts than the thread reads. After the section was reborn, the Weekly Roundup averaged 30-40 posts per week, and got between 1500 and 1900 reads, usually. By spring/summer we were breaking 2000 reads on a regular basis, and posts were often above 50.

Nowadays there are close to 100 posts per week (more on special weeks like this one...this is post 144 in the thread!) and - except on off weeks - we usually see between 4200 and 5700 reads! :eek:

Like I said, it is YOU GUYS that make me want to do this. I've said it before and it bears repeating: there may come a day when I wake up and don't want to do it any more. May just not care about DVDs at all, in fact. It could happen. Could.

But in the meantime, your participation in this thread and all the neat info you scrounge up that helps ME find even more bargains than my research turns up is what makes me want to keep going. And, if you can't find a useful bargain, then just chime in to say what you bought this week and tell me "thanks" or "you're the man", or every once in a while let me know that I'm the King Of The World. :wink:

But I just wanted to really acknowledge all the gratitude that I'm already getting, and say "thanks" to you guys in return. It's really neat to be at the center of this thing!

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
I don't remember seeing this mentioned yet, but perhaps I missed it. I just got home from BB, & they have a buy 3 horror DVDs for $20 deal. In store & on-line.
I just picked up Killer Klowns, The Fog (2 titles that I've been meaning to pick up), & Burnt Offerings.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category

Titles included:

Species
Once Bitten
Return Of The Living Dead
The Brood
Burnt Offerings
Poltergeist 2: The Other Side & Poltergeist 3
Misery
Last House On The Left
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Stigmata
Amityville Horror
Child'S Play
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
The Fog

BB still had quite a pile of pan & scam Indy sets with the bonus disc. I saw maybe 5 widescreen sets left, & none had the bonus disc. When will they ever learn? :rolleyes

I was hoping BB would have Dragonslayer for $10 or less, but it was $14.99. This one is high on my want list, but I am going to wait a bit in hope of finding it cheaper. The pile of unwatched movies is pretty high anyway.

This really should go in last weeks Weekly Roundup but anyway, my pre-ordered Matrix Reloaded (also from BB) was in the mailbox when I got home. It included the bonus disc. Cool!

My wife also grabbed Donkey Kong Country (Color Gameboy) for $.99 while we were there! Yes 99 cents! It was marked as such on the shelf, but rang up $19.99. Cashier checked it out, & gave it to us for the $.99 price. There was only one copy left.

Todd

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Todd,

Dragonslayer is still available from DDD for $9.36 w/FREE Shipping. Seems to be the best bargain in town.

I am also headed to BB tonight to try and grab a Donkey Kong Country for .99 -- crosses fingers of course.

Dave,

Now go watch a movie man and enjoy some of that stuff you spent all your $$$ on, LOL!!!

Greg

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
Greg,

Thanks, but I had a problem with DDD (well actually the CD side, but I understand they are the same owner) earlier this year. They really ticked me off, & I have not ordered from them since. I was a very good customer previously.
I rather buy somewhere else, but may give them another chance since I've never had a problem ordering DVDs just my one and only cd order. The person I dealt with was quite insulting though. I tell ya I'm getting weak trying to hold off on Dragonslayer. Don't know if I can last. :D

Yea your right! I was really looking for some horror & the 3 for $20 really hit the spot!

Oh and good luck with DKC. :emoji_thumbsup:

Todd

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
I asked for the mgr. I was sent over to the Cust Svc desk where the response was "this is a different set, it's five discs." I replied that I would buy the four disc and immeadiately return it for the five disc since it's the same price. He gave up and honored (and confiscated) the ad.
That'll show him...:D They like to think that they're shrewder than we are...not!

Rodon

Second Unit
Picked up OAR Indy from Best Buy with the extra disc for $44.99. Considering Battlestar but am out of room on the Boltz Rack. Need to order an expansion or another rack for the back room.

Will probably get Dragonslayer as well.

Thanks Dave. You help out me and about 5 other co-workers each week. I look forward every weekend to your thread. I would pay for this service as a subscription if I had too. You have saved me quite a bit of $$$. Thanks.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Dave,

If it wasn't for the round up I would have paid $49.99 for my Indiana Jones Box set. Instead I paid $33.49 for it because of the Eckard price match. Something I would have missed if not for the round up.

So once again Dave.....Thanks :) :) :)

Joe

Robert McLay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Posted this in the wrong thread so I will repost here:

I have a funny story for you guys.

Yesterday, when I posted asking about the Star Trek DS9 set at Media Play, I couldn't find my ad. I didn't think anything about it because my dog and cats chew on the paper quite often and my fiancee will throw it out.

Well to my surprise, she comes home maybe an hour after getting Pat's response with the set in hand, stating that "Price matching can take so darn long at Wal Mart". I didn't know what to say, so I told her all about how it was a printing error on Media Plays part, all while laughing, and that I couldn't believe she got it. That's when she told me the CSM actually couldn't believe the price difference and was going to show the manager, but was going to give it to her, and walked off with the set and flyer in hand. After about 10 minutes she came back and said that she couldn't believe that deal, that she was going to pick one up herself. While making small talk, the CSM also stated that her boss couldn't believe the difference, so they called Media Play and confimed the deal.

So I don't know if they just got a young worker on the other end, who just looked at the in store ad and said yup. Either way I scored a Star Trek DS9 for 19.99 - which may be my deal of the year.

Rob

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Went to my local Wal-Mart today and scored the Indy set for $34.82.

Also found the Black Sunday for $5.88. That's a blind buy for me.

FWIW, I also got the new Barenaked Ladies CD with a bonus DVD (not exactly "bonus" -- you DO pay a lot extra). But the DVD has the entire CD contents in 5.1 AND some videos of the songs in a live acoustic performance.

Dave: a great week for the RoundUp! :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok i'm sure it has been said here already but i'll say it too incase.
i saw the black sunday, the captain cronos vampire movie and the new frankenstain movie at a wal-mart in eddystone pa 5.88 bin.

i bought black sunday.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
No. Just another great thing about this set. You fill in a stand-alone form from each set, and include your reciept.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the great information. I was happy to see the reports of great Indy prices at WalMart and surprisingly my local WalMart also had a great price - $34.29. I picked it up on Friday evening and had to watch the opening segment. Such a great start :)

Yesterday I picked up the Dick Van Dyke sets for Best Buy.

Thanks again,

Neil

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
While I was at CostCo yesterday picking up 28 Days Later, I noticed they had some DVDs with coupons for $5 off X2: X-Men United. I picked up The Transporter for $13.99 and with the $5 X2 coupon on the back of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks