ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thanks for another WRU, Mike!

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

As for other releases this week, I've already owned UK versions of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Cinema Paradiso for over a year now -- I'm guessing the UK version of Charlie and TCK is identical in quality and probably extras too although Cinema Paradiso might be somewhat different since the releasing company is different. Otherwise, I probably would be down for those this week. Harakiri may be of interest, but that will probably have to wait for the next B&N Criterion sale...

Thanks again...

_Man_

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
I'm so excited about Peter Jackson's Dead Alive aka Braindead! I ordered it from Amazon along with the new Tarantino Blu's. Dead Alive may not be for everyone, it's a fantastic goofy, over-the-top gore-fest. I mean, they must have been shipping in the Karo syrup and red dye by the tanker truck -- literally. And it's a movie where no good DVD release has been available.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Was I wrong for not expecting the DTV Lion King sequels to cost an extra $55?!?!?! Good grief! And, what, no BD for Hero Factory? Junior will be disappointed. :)

Real Name
Billy Affleck
Just got back from Toys R Us and I wanted everyone to know that they took both $5 off coupons for The Lion King 3D 4 disc combo pack; the $5 off from Disney Movie Rewards; and the $5 off from Subway! The total came to $17.99 ! And the 3D poster is very cool! That itself is a $19.99 value and it was free! At first I thought the cashier was only going to accept one of the coupons, but then she went ahead and scanned both of them and they worked! I'm very interested to know how this went for the rest of you out there who bought the Lion King 3D combo pack. Maybe it depends on the mood of the cashier who waits on you. Let me know. Thanks everyone!

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
Aaron Silverman said:
Was I wrong for not expecting the DTV Lion King sequels to cost an extra $55?!?!?! Good grief!
Not to be rude or anything, but I can't imagine any adult giving a crap about direct-to-DVD Disney sequels. I haven't watched one of them (the Fox & The Hound sequel that got bundled with the original on Blu-Ray is nothing more than a coaster as far as I'm concerned). If you have kids that like 'em, fine, but they strike me as considerably dumbed-down compared to their big-screen predecessors. Anyways, my BB took the $5 Disney coupon for the 2-disc version of The Lion King, so after that and the $7.50 steelcase prorder were taken out, the grand total was about eight bucks. :D I still wish Disney would provide $8 or $10 coupons again, but as long as BB continues their steelcase preorder promotion (I saw new cases for Cars 2 and Pirates Of The Caribbean 4 today), at least I can spread the payments out a little.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
but as long as BB continues their steelcase preorder promotion (I saw new cases for Cars 2 and Pirates Of The Caribbean 4 today), at least I can spread the payments out a little.

Right. You don't save anything, but the steelbook is free and it's like buying the release on layaway.

I went to a Best Buy in Manhattan today to get the 3D blu-ray sets of The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. They let me use the coupon for $5 off Beauty and the Beast AND the $5 off The Lion King PLUS a $8 discount for buying both. So it cost me $46 for both with tax! Not a bad deal. Cheaper than two of us going to see the movies in the theater. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yes Target has the soundtrack included on the lion king 3-d set and it also has a nice Red slip sleeve too. Also check at Barnes and Nonle for Ken Burns Latest "the Prohibition" for a nice price of $21.xx before coupons.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Matt's review of Disney's African Cats is now linked-to in the OP.

Thanks, Mike. I hope to have the review for The League's second season up this time tomorrow night.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Links are now up for Ken's review of Pee-Wee's Big Adventure and three(!) reviews from Timothy: Bored to Death: Season 2, Beavis & Butthead: Mike Judge's Most Wanted and The Pee-Wee Herman Show on Broadway.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by TonyD

Also check at Barnes and Nonle for Ken Burns Latest "the Prohibition" for a nice price of $21.xx before coupons.

Hmmm... Is that really worth owning? Hadn't heard anything about this one before. Was this the one they very recently aired on PBS? I seem to recall my daughter having to catch something like that on PBS for a homework assignment earlier this week though I could be mistaken about the actual doc. There's currently a 20%-off member's coupon floating about...

_Man_

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Brisby said:
Not to be rude or anything, but I can't imagine any adult giving a crap about direct-to-DVD Disney sequels. I haven't watched one of them (the Fox & The Hound sequel that got bundled with the original on Blu-Ray is nothing more than a coaster as far as I'm concerned). If you have kids that like 'em, fine, but they strike me as considerably dumbed-down compared to their big-screen predecessors.
If I gave a crap about them I'd probably be more upset. :) Big shocker, they'd be for my kid -- if they'd been reasonably priced. Like maybe an extra $10 or $15 over the regular edition. $55 is ludicrous! Actually, some of the Disney DTV sequels are supposedly pretty decent. (In fact, some of the Mouse's DTV sequels to DTV originals are fine kiddie fare as well -- I've seen the second Tinkerbell movie and some of the "Buddies" movies and they aren't half bad.) And don't forget that Toy Story 2 started out that way.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
ManW_TheUncool said:

Hmmm...  Is that really worth owning?  Hadn't heard anything about this one before.  Was this the one they very recently aired on PBS?  I seem to recall my daughter having to catch something like that on PBS for a homework assignment earlier this week though I could be mistaken about the actual doc.  There's currently a 20%-off member's coupon floating about...

_Man_

It was just aired this week, although they've been running half-hour "promos" for it for months and months. It's based Daniel Okrent's book, which I hear is excellent. I only saw part of it, but what I saw I really enjoyed. I definitely recommend it, but I'm sure PBS will air it again plenty of times if you don't feel like buying the disc.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Jason_V

Lion King for sure come Wednesday afternoon. And I'm sorely tempted for Thor and the first 2 Transformers movies on BD. Maybe even GI Joe...but don't tell anyone.

Well hopefully you didn't pick up the Lion King...I had to double check the number, but you won a copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks