What's new

Warner Home Video Tom & Jerry Replacement Program (UPDATE 1/30/07 POST #134) (1 Viewer)

Patrick.C

Second Unit
Tory - try calling back and see if you can get a different person. I just called and they didn't need any proof of purchase. They just took my name and address and that was that.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
For those of us outside the States who own the sets and for whom, quite honestly, it is too much hassle to seek a replacement, does anyone know when the corrected discs will be available to suppliers (e.g Amazon). I'd rather just buy the CORRECTED DVD again.

Andrew Easton

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
I've just bought, (December 28th), the Spotlight Collection 1 and 2 together and on opening Collection 2 found on checking the disc contents that they were the original release, not the corrected ones.

So until the original stocks run out I don't believe the new versions of either set will ever be available from retailers. Their plan seems to be just to replace as requested, which obviously makes good economic sense for them, but as the disc replacement is limited to the US and Canada only I doubt any overseas purchasers will be able to get them at all :frowning:

Unless that is you have friends or relatives in the US who can get them for you.

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Whoops…

I received my replacement discs for Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collection: Volume 1 today. Just as with the Vol. 2 exchange, Warner is shipping the replacement discs along with the pre-paid envelope to return your original censored disc in.

However, I was a bit confused… You might have noticed that I said "I received my replacement discs" -- upon opening my package I found it contained replacement copies of both Discs 1 AND 2. To my knowledge, only Disc 1 was problematic as it contained three censored shorts. I've never noticed, no heard of, any existing problems with Disc 2.

So I put in my Disc 1 to view these newly uncensored shorts for myself, and discovered to my utter delight that… the shorts were unfortunately still the edited versions. WTF?!?

I pulled out my original set and compared the pressing codes and discovered they were exactly the same. Seems that the folks at Warner sent me a replacement set consisting of the original defective first pressing.

So, make sure to CHECK YOUR DISC when you receive it to ensure you HAVE received the corrected repressed version. If you only receive a single Disc 1, you're probably safe. However, if you instead receive both Discs 1 & 2 as I did, they are likely the incorrect original pressing.

*SIGH*

I need to place a call in this Monday to an acquaintance/contact at Warner regarding a different matter, and I'll ask about this issue as well. I'll be sure to keep you folks updated on this should I find out any information I'm able to pass along.

Oh, and for those of you interested in the contents of the enclosed letter, it states as follows:

(FYI: And before you ask, yes, I copied the previous exactly as written…)

Regards,

LCD22

Screenwriter
Could someone please refresh my memory on what the three censored shorts are on Vol. 1?

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Received replacement discs today, and as with Jeff's, there were two discs
(1 & 2). The numbers on the old set and new set are excatly the same:
7Y 65878.1.B VB04
7Y 65878.1.A VA01
and a shorter number 1FP1 906
1FP1 907
i am not sure what is what, but i think i can assume these are the same discs as the ones i already have. i don't know why disc two was included at all.

And as with Chris, it has been so long since the first volume came out i forgot....which are the shorts that should have been redone?
Help would be appreciated so i can view disc #1 before making any call to Warner Brothers.
What i also find annoying, is, that not being 27 y.o., i need a darn hand lens to read these silly numbers!!

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I expect my discs should arrive soon. However I'm not very confident they will be the corrected versions from the reports. Did anyone call back customer service to find out what happened? I remember they did this before when the corrected DVDs of Kiss Me Kate were available. It took a couple of tries before I received the right disc.

Patrick.C

Second Unit
I also received the two discs and letter that Jeff received. I guess I'll wait to see what Jeff finds out from his contacts before I do anything else.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
I received my "replacement" disc for Vol 1. I also got a disc two for whatever reason. I can't remember what was cut from the originals but it appears from the running times on these three shorts that I got the same incorrect disc I had. The running times were the same on both discs:

The Little Orphan: 7:45
The Truce Hurts: 7:55
The Milky Waif: 6:44

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I would suggest everyone that received the wrong discs to call again. I called Warner customer service this morning informing them of the problem of sending non corrected DVDs. The woman I spoke with seemed surprised but after putting me on hold she returned to say they were aware of the problem, and were trying to figure out what they were going to do next. They told me they would give me a call back later in the week on what they planned on doing, and not to send anything back for now.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Ditto Brian,
i called this morning as well...and that lady was suprised too. The very pleasant lady asked me to hold for a minute, while she talked to her superior. She returned, telling me that i would receive a call at some time down the road. There was no time line. All my info was collected again. Took a while, but they were pleasant and effective.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
If I don't hear from them by Friday I'm calling back. Hopefully they will get the mix up straightenend out and get the correct DVD(s) next time. I don't think I've ever had a DVD exchange with Warner go smoothly the first time. :frowning:

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
I was just told by a WHV Manager to HOLD onto the Vol.1 discs until you receive the correct disc shipment. Do yourself a favor and call to straighten it out. I also didn't find it comforting to have received this screw-up before I received Superman discs and T&J Vol.2 discs, but they're on the way!

Thank you WHV.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I sent back the old discs with a note saying the new discs have the same problems as the old ones. I hope I didn't screw myself.

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to pass on an update I received regarding the Tom and Jerry: Spotlight Collection Vol. 1 issue.

In addition to myself and you folks here at the HTF, several friends of mine also received the exact same original censored pressing (both discs 1 & 2) as a replacement.

I spoke with an acquaintance/contact with Warner late this afternoon on a separate issue, and brought this matter to his attention. Here's the gist of that conversation (i.e., "What I found out…"):

First off, above everything else, you should all know that Warner is absolutely aware of this problem, and will be rectifying it as soon as is possible. There is no need to call in to report the problem -- everyone will have to be reserviced with the correct uncensored disc. (More shortly…)

As I'm sure most of you have already figured out, everyone who called in to request a replacement copy of Tom and Jerry: Spotlight Collection Vol. 1 unfortunately received the original censored pressing of Disc 1 rather than then the uncensored edition.

Additionally, even though only Disc 1 was problematic, everyone also received a replacement copy of Disc 2. This has lead to speculation that the original Disc 2 also contained some censored material, or had some other previously-unknown problem. (Which isn't the case… the original Disc 2 is perfectly fine!)

For those of you who aren't aware of this, Warner utilizes an outside fulfillment company to handle all their disc replacement/exchange programs. (Warner simply does not have the internal resources necessary to handle thousands of phone calls, mailings, exchanges, etc. In fact, nearly all the studios utilize such a fulfillment company to handle recalls and similar replacement/exchange programs.)

When the fulfillment company received their shipment of the Tom and Jerry: Spotlight Collection Vol. 1 replacement discs (which if I understood correctly, was shipped directly to them from the pressing facility), they were listed as the corrected uncensored version. In addition, instead of receiving just Disc 1, their shipment contained both Discs 1 AND 2.

The fulfillment company was originally told that only Disc 1 was censored and would be replaced. However, when they received both Discs 1 & 2 -- and both were listed as the uncensored replacement discs for the Tom and Jerry Vol. 1 exchange program -- they simply assumed there was a previously-unmentioned problem with Disc 2, and subsequently began shipping out both of these replacement discs as they were contracted to do.

Unfortunately, the fulfillment company has no way of knowing (or checking) for themselves whether the replacement discs they've received are indeed the "corrected" versions. Although they have a general knowledge of what the problem is (from what Warner tells them), they don't know the EXACT specifics -- in this case what footage was censored, where the censored material occurs in the shorts (i.e. timecode), or even which shorts were affected. They simply handle the actual consumer exchanges/replacements -- they take the phone calls, arrange for the exchange(s), and ship out the replacement discs they've received from the studio and/or pressing facility. As such, they can only assume that the materials they've received for replacements are the proper corrected pressings as listed.

In any event, as I stated earlier, both Warner and the fulfillment facility are absolutely aware of the problem, and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. As I hope you all know, this was simply due to an unfortunate error that occurred "somewhere" along the line, and was not done intentionally. As of this afternoon they are still looking into the cause of the problem -- since both "censored" and "uncensored" versions now exist, they must first track down what happened before they can "fix" the issue. (If it was something as simple as a warehouse employee mistakenly marking and/or shipping out the wrong discs to the fulfillment facility -- this would be fairly quick and easy to correct. However, if the problem is tracked back to the pressing facility, and the wrong master was utilized for the repressing, it'll take longer to fix since this would require another repressing. But remember… until they actually track the cause down, it's all just conjecture at this point.)

Again, Warner will be rectifying this problem as soon as they can, so that the fulfillment facility can ship out the proper uncensored copies of Disc 1. As I stated earlier, there is also no need to call in to report the problem as EVERYONE who requested a replacement will be reserviced -- i.e., when the proper replacement discs are received, you will automatically be sent the corrected uncensored discs.

Further, if you've already received the incorrect replacement discs, hold onto them for now -- there is no need to return them just yet. It's probable that you will need to return these with your original Disc 1 as soon as the fulfillment facility receives and ships you the correct uncensored disc.

If there are any other specific details regarding this exchange, I'm sure it will be listed on the letter enclosed with your replacement-of-the-replacement disc.

And that's basically where Tom and Jerry Vol. 1 stands right now. It's certainly a shame that it occurred, but at least the problem was quickly identified and Warner is working hard to correct this as soon as possible. We all just need to be patient for a little while longer…

Lastly, should any of you decide to call up the fulfillment facility anyway about this issue, don't be surprised if the operators or customer service reps don't have any information regarding this -- most of what I've told you above is not yet known by them (so kindly cut 'em some slack if they don't have the answers you are looking for just yet… they're good people over there).

Should I find out any additional information, I'll be sure to post an update if I'm able…

Regards,

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
3 weeks ago I called and said I needed a replacement for disc 1 vol. 1. Last nite I got disc 1 & 2 with a return envelopement. The new disc 1 is the same as the old disc 1. I called today and the lady said they were going to have to call me back on what I should do with the wrong disc(s).

...and the saga continues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks