What's new

Warner Home Video Tom & Jerry Replacement Program (UPDATE 1/30/07 POST #134) (1 Viewer)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I'm in shock. After almost 5 months and numerous calls to the hotline (the last one just 24hrs ago, funnily enough) I just received a call from my San Diego based friend to let me know that the Tom & Jerry Vol. 2 replacements have arrived!

Now I just hope the Vol. 1 discs don't take that long (I know from my hotline call yesterday that they haven't been shipped yet).

One caveat, though: The package contains the standard letter saying to send the discs back in the pre-paid envelope. The envelope, however, is not pre-paid, so I have to pay for it!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I received my Volume One disc today. "The Milky Waif", "The Truce Hurts", and "The Little Orphan" are indeed uncut. Unfortunately, they are also absolutely riddled with aliasing which the censored versions were not. It seems crazy that they would initiate a replacement program for Tom & Jerry Volume One that introduces the mastering defect for which they have announced that they will initiate a replacement program for one of the Looney Tunes Golden Collections, but there you have it. :confused:

Note - only the three previously censored shorts have this problem. The rest of shorts on the disc have no aliasing artifacts.

Regards,

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
To be fair, the aliasing issue will be a function of how your own DVD player de-interlaces the signal. I have some that seem to be able to handle it and others that give you the result sampled above. This makes it less of a concern than it was for certain cartoons on the fourth disc of "The Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume Two" which had aliasing artifacts visible on just about any player on which I had the ability to review them.

Regards,

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I took a look at The Milky Waif and The Little Orphan and I don't think I would have noticed the aliasing unless I had known to look for it. However, it was more noticable (but not THAT bad) on The Truce Hurts.

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Hi folks,

I'm sorry that I've been out of touch here for the past week -- after reading a few things here a little while earlier, I wish I could have been here to comment -- but unfortunately my laptop was damaged and out for repair, plus we were having our house repiped.

(The Tragic Tale: One of our cats somehow managed to send the laptop flying like a frisbee, landing several feet away from it's normal resting spot where it smacked into our hardwood floor... precisely on that little power connecter which plugs into the laptop. The connector end was twisted beyond all recognition, as was the interior of the DC plug inside the laptop. Oh, and the center "plug part" broke off and went through the back of the laptop plug and into the DC board, which apparently is what shorted it out. Apple wanted $810 to repair a $50 part… for those of you with Mac, be aware that this is their new 2007 "flat fee" repair rate for any phyiscal damage, be it a broken key on the keyboard, or a damaged LCD which averages $1000+. Thankfully, Apple provided us with a little sheet of paper with three local authorized repair center that could repair my laptop for far less... actual part cost + minimal labor charge. *Whew*).

First off, as you all obviously already know, the corrected uncensored Tom and Jerry: Spotlight Collection Vol. 1 replacement Disc 1 is available and shipping. I really wanted to pass on this good news last week, but obviously was unable to. The remastered discs were received at the fulfillment house on (or just before) January 29, and they began shipping out on January 31.

The first shipments are being sent out to those people who had received that initial incorrect two-disc replacement set -- i.e., you are automatically being "reserviced with the correct uncensored disc" as my contact promised, without the need for calling in.

My replacement disc was shipped out automatically on January 31 as well, and I received it the very next day, February 1. Several other friends also received their replacements on Feb. 2 or 3, as did several folks here.

I also really wanted to let you know that the newly-shipping disc was 100% fixed, corrected, uncensored, and uncut. The previously-censored footage has been reinstated to both The Milky Way and The Truce Hurts, and The Little Orphan is now featured in its original version (rather than a censorship cut, the offending material was instead re-animated). And as BrianP already stated, the remastered edition contains a new "forced" pre-show notice regarding the racial content on the disc.

I normally hate to say things like "I told you so," but in this case I'll make a rare exception for those disbelivers out there. I'm not sure how much clearer I could have stated it, but I told you that the problem would be rectified as soon as is possible, that there was NO need to call in, and that EVERYONE would be reserviced with the correct uncensored disc as soon as it was available. These were the facts -- not assumptions -- as provided to me by someone directly in charge of resolving this issue. (Although I did have some additional information which I was asked to keep private, I was allowed to pass on some very specific information regarding this replacement-of-the-replacements program.)

Which in turn brings me to that rather strange Warner "Press Release" that circulated around to several websites and forums, including this one. I'm not sure who wrote this Press Release, or which Warner department circulated it, but the specific information regarding the replacement/exchange process is completely incorrect. The replacement/exchange process had already been determined a week prior to the writing of this "PR" -- automatic reservicing of ALL consumers, NO need to call in, NO need to return discs prior to reservicing. Further, the fulfillment house already had the discs in-stock, packaged with an explanatory letter, and ready to ship out -- THE SAME DAY this "PR" was written and circulated, which "suggested" that the discs wouldn't even be available for at least a month.

Again, I don't know who wrote that "PR," but it's recommended that you ignore the exchange process that's listed (which is completely opposite the actual process). If you did receive the initial incorrect two-disc replacement, you should automatically receive the proper uncensored Disc 1 shortly. However, if you DON'T receive your uncensored disc within a reasonable amount of time (say… by the end of the month), only then should you give them a call so they can resend it.

Personally, I find the entire progression of this Tom and Jerry: Spotlight Collection Vol. 1 Replacement Program rather interesting, "from a certain point of view" that is.

I find it interesting that Warner sends out an inaccurate PR regarding the replacement-of-the-incorrect-replacement disc... yet they never bothered to announce the initial Tom and Jerry: Spotlight Collection Vol. 1 Replacement Program, which officially began January 2.

I also find it interesting that I am the only one who announced the Replacement Program even existed. Frankly, it was purely by chance that, during a completely unrelated conversion, I asked the right person the right question -- "Are we ever going to see this remastered?" -- only to be told "Call the regular replacement line on Monday…" (and I thought he was just joking around with me). Needless to say, I was overjoyed at the news, and pleased that I was allowed to spread the word here on the HTF (and elsewhere) that this Replacement Program did indeed exist!

And lastly, I also find it interesting that when there is an unfortunately supply error with an incorrect disc, some people will completely ignore and/or disbelieve the specific 100% correct "insider" information on how the replacements will be handled. (Not so much here on the forum, but I got several really… ummm… peculiar emails.)

It's a weird world, folks!

But in the end, all I can really say is that I'm just very, very pleased to see this long 26-month journey come to a close, as we all finally have our two uncensored volumes of Tom and Jerry shorts.

This will happily suffice until such a time that George Feltenstein is able to finally gain control over all the classic cartoons… and can release a complete uncut set of T&J shorts, newly transferred and fully restored.

Oh, and before I forget, there were some people wondering (again, a couple people here, but several more emails I received) if there were any problems with the Tom and Jerry: Volume 2 replacement program -- i.e., was the fulfillment house sending out the "wrong discs" or somesuch. The answer is… there are NO problems with the Tom and Jerry: Volume 2 replacement discs. The fulfillment house only has the properly remastered discs featuring the reinstated original audio tracks.

And with that, I'll be off. I wish everyone a slightly-late Happy Groundhog Day, and hope that you are enjoying (or soon will enjoy) Tom and Jerry in all their uncensored glory!

Regards to all…

miklselsoe

Auditioning
Real Name
Mikkel Sorensen
Does anyone know how to tell the new version from the old version when picking it up today? Is there a way to tell on the cover? As I live in Europe, I wouldn't like to go through the whole replacement programme with Warner.

/Mikkel

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I would guess that if the new versions of the discs are just being sent out that it'll take quite awhile before they are available on store shelves or to online retailers. The retailers will also probably go through their existing inventory before they get the corrected ones in stock too.

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
I called last week about the Volume 1 Disc One and it came in the mail today! There is a slight difference to this replacement discs cover, Tom just has more of a gray color to him on art than the original.

I guess I need to send the old disc back right? Just put it back in the mail box.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
I was told today that the old discs must be returned FIRST.

What gives? That's a little chancy. :crazy:

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Unless they do yours differently then mine, you will get the new discs in the mail first. I beleive they said to me I will have to send the discs back first.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
That's encouraging news. I would think most companies wouldn't want their customers to be empty-handed while a company-caused problem is fixed.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

MaelstromXR

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Im new to this fourm. Let me first off saying that I contacted that number provided before I bought the dvd's. I think it will be most benefical. They said they will send me both volumes and just to have me send back the "defective" dvd's as they called it. I even told them that I havent bought them yet. I can provide pictures when I get them to show the new fotage provided. Thanks for everyones research on this matter. All is appreciated.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
You are 100% correct.
Disc 1 / Volume 1 arrived today. Unedited and no aliasing.

The two brief bits in "Truce" and "Orphan" seem to have been hardly worth the bother of editing.

The shoe polish routine is very, very funny.

The replacement disc is well worth the wait.

Old disc is on it's way back.

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
If anyone happens to know, what's the address I should send the original censored disc to, the return address from which the replacement came from I'm guessing?

The reason I ask is, the disc envelope that was sent for the purpose of returning the censored disc is blank and from what I've read in this thread, other people have an address pre-printed on theirs.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm confused... is there a "replacement" disc being sent out for the previous replacement disc which was riddled with artifacts and interlacing errors?

I don't know about you guys, but on Pioneer 59-Avi, the PQ on the T&J Vol. 1 replacement was completely unwatchable. The disc is simply incorrectly flagged and improperly mastered.

It's utterly ridiculous and astonishing how consistent this dept. can be in screwing up the exact same things. You'd think they would at least have the common sense to devote some quality control and oversight to these replacements given the history with these sets.

I'd be quite satisfied with a full refund at this point. The sets are useless to me.

I'm not sure what your "Told you so" is proving, other than the fact that WHV succeeded in mailing out a bunch of needless defective pieces of plastic and have been utterly clueless and incompetent throughout this entire ordeal.

When I think back to the initial promise of complete, fully remastered, uncut & unedited, chronological sets... and look at what I now have sitting before me, I feel entirely taken advantage of. These sets are shameful and so has the entire three-plus-year-process of bringing attention to this been.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Here's another thread discussing these issues. It's been detailed from page 9-12, where others have acknowledged the faulty mastering issues with these new discs:

http://forums.goldenagecartoons.com/...?t=8098&page=9

For the record, I have played the disc on 3 separate players.

It's the year 2007, I should not have to do this with any new DVD.

It's equally ridiculous to try and justify these BLATANT ERRORS by turning a scapegoat to the "some TVs/players work" angle. Good for the "some people" who can actually watch the films they paid for! This is unforgivable and the exact same issue as the LTGC2 masterings.

I have a Pioneer Elite 59-AVi. I paid somewhere in the range $800 US for it a couple of years ago, brand new. It remains a top-of-the-line player in it's category. Save for disc 4 of the LTGCV2, I've never experienced any other problems like this. It's not an isolated incident. It is WHV doing what they do best when it comes to Tom & Jerry on DVD... being completely negligent to the product they're supposed to be delivering and screwing up big time, yet again.

I'm tired of all of this and I'm angry that I went out and bought both of these box sets a second time and WASTED my money, based on the promises made here and by WHV that all would be corrected. All is not corrected and the replacement discs are just as bad as the censored versions.

If I'd kept the receipts of purchase for these two sets, I'd be returning them this afternoon and spending my money on something that shows a hint of effort.

This whole ordeal is shameful and frankly, whoever's been in charge of the T&J catalogue at the company really ought to be looking for a new line of work.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit

I've got my envelope from the replacement of Vol 2 sitting here.
The destination address label reads:
Warner Home Video
400 Del NorteBlvd.
Oxnard, Ca 93030
And yes, there is a missing space between "Norte" and "Blvd.", which I'm mildly amused by.

FYI, there is also a 6 digit number on the return address label. I suspect that might be some kind of identification number so they can match up the envelope with your information. If that's the case, you may want to contact Warner anyways.

On a related note, I'm debating whether I should bother with the Vol 1replacement, given the defects on the new disks. I'm curious as to what everyone's personal opinions are. Am I better off with the original disks, or with the replacement ones when all is said and done?

-- Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks