What's new

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play (3 Viewers)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Did you check to see if it's from the factory that produced the problem discs? I never had a problem with that one either until a month ago. I have multiple players and it wouldn't work on any of them and it started in the same spot so clearly a defect. Same with It Happened on 5th Avenue which is from that same factory with the IPFI 2U code.

Some copies of The Shoes Of The Fisherman have French subtitles for Canada. Do you have that version?

(On a more general tangent, as a long offtopic rant).

The Technicolor (formerly Cinram) plant at Olyphant, PA with IFPI 2U** mould code, was also pumping out crappy audio cd discs. Not just Warner mid->late 2000s era dvds.

There is a list of just about every audio cd disc manufactured with IFPI 2U** at discogs, where they obsessively document everything.

Anecdotally, my copies of David Bowie's "Lets Dance" and Metallica's "And Justice For All" had IFPI 2U** where it was obvious they were not manufactured very well. Lousy manufactured cd discs will only rip properly (in secure modes on the EAC ripper) at a slower speed. (I picked up these two titles around 7-8 years ago at wallymart from the $5 dump bins).

So over the past 5 years or so, I've been picking up old discarded cds at thrift shops or used record stores, of older pressings of cds I currently own which have IFPI 2U**. I'll only pick up newer pressings if I can determine that they were manufactured by Technicolor Mexico (IFPI KK**), Sony Austria (IFPI 94**) or BMG/Arvato Germany (IFPI 07**).

I actively avoid dvds/blurays which are manufactured by Optimal Media GmbH Germany (IFPI 97**), such as the Beatles deluxe re-releases over the past 7-8 years. They're just as bad as IFPI 2U** straight out of the package.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Does anyone know if the effected DVD plants, that caused these DVD failures, were used for overseas releases too? just wondering if buying older DVD releases from Europe or Australia is better option.

It appears each of Technicolor's disc pressing plants, were all run independently of one another. The IFPI 2U** plant (in Olyphant, Pennsylvania) which was pumping out all those defective cd and dvd discs, no longer exists.

A lot of equipment from the Olyphant plant was auctioned off in 2018. Currently unknown where all that equipment went to.

The actual pressing plant building went under the demolition wrecking ball in 2020.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Maybe I've asked before but what is a reliable email address to inquire about the impossibility of replacement discs? I've just scooped up a handful that no longer work as I check thru the WB titles in my collection. Surprisingly, my only emotion is being a bit miffed-- not thoroughly enraged.

I think I'm becoming an adult? Lulz!!

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
Maybe I've asked before but what is a reliable email address to inquire about the impossibility of replacement discs? I've just scooped up a handful that no longer work as I check thru the WB titles in my collection.
Were you being intentionally ironical in asking about the "impossibility" of replacements, or was it a Freudian slip? :)

Anyway, my guess is that we're stuck with these and can only hope they get released on Blu-ray or 4K UHD-BD someday sooner than later.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Were you being intentionally ironical in asking about the "impossibility" of replacements, or was it a Freudian slip? :)

Anyway, my guess is that we're stuck with these and can only hope they get released on Blu-ray or 4K UHD-BD someday sooner than later.
Snarky is the term, I think but, yeah. I've read a few unverifiable reports of folks who have had great success getting discs replaced-- pretty common titles, a few single discs from previously box-only sets and some titles now available only on dvdr from The Archive.

I've attempted to contact the WB with a basic email, but I'm not holding my breath on a response. It's just that the whole disc failure issue is such a thing, currently, I don't want to miss out if there's any chance of replacing some of these expensive sets that I've had for quite a while.

One of the faulty (Fawlty?!!) sets was, of course, Animaniacs Vol. 2 which had been in shrink since I got it last of the 3 and never had time to even watch. Until now. And I just opened it a while ago. And it won't play. All discs are FUBAR. And, now I can't watch!

I've got stacks of others, like Keeping Up Appearances, WB Comedy Teams box set and such that have discs where layer 2 has gone bad. But now I'm holding complete sets that won't play and won't do that "thing-that-we're-not-supposed-to-discuss-here", either.

I think I have as much chance of getting any disc replaced as, say, getting the right order at drive-thru, but there's always a chance.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Nevah mind. We're on it. Got in contact with Customer Service and they're going to see which titles (the ones I have a receipt/invoice for) can be replaced.

Pretty fast service with a near-immediate response. I don't expect the constellations to shift or anything, but at least they're willing to make good wherever possible. Big plus!

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
Snarky is the term, I think but, yeah. I've read a few unverifiable reports of folks who have had great success getting discs replaced-- pretty common titles, a few single discs from previously box-only sets and some titles now available only on dvdr from The Archive.
I wasn't trying for snarky--sorry it came across that way. I actually appreciate your posts more than you know, as I, too, have suffered from failed discs. It's good to know there may be hope in getting these replaced outside of the long-shot of them being upgraded. My only experience with trying this was with Val Lewton's The Ghost Ship (1943), not the DVD but the incorrectly mastered Blu-ray with the missing rotoscoped moth. I even sent them the UPC code and a picture of the cover. Instead--twice!--I received a copy of Ghost Ship (2002). Oh, well. I ended up buying the correct version of what I wanted from Warner Archive UK.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
My first Warner DVD to go bad on me. "Executive Suite." A regular Warner release from about a decade ago (not Warner Archive). When I got a replacement from Amazon I noticed it was a DVD-R of the Warner Archive variety.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
My first Warner DVD to go bad on me. "Executive Suite." A regular Warner release from about a decade ago (not Warner Archive). When I got a replacement from Amazon I noticed it was a DVD-R of the Warner Archive variety.
Oh dear. I like that film a lot and I'd be very sorry to have my DVD go bad. I'll watch it again in the next few days.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
I wasn't trying for snarky--sorry it came across that way. I actually appreciate your posts more than you know, as I, too, have suffered from failed discs. It's good to know there may be hope in getting these replaced outside of the long-shot of them being upgraded. My only experience with trying this was with Val Lewton's The Ghost Ship (1943), not the DVD but the incorrectly mastered Blu-ray with the missing rotoscoped moth. I even sent them the UPC code and a picture of the cover. Instead--twice!--I received a copy of Ghost Ship (2002). Oh, well. I ended up buying the correct version of what I wanted from Warner Archive UK.
Nah, I didn't use that as a swipe at you, only I was explaining my use of "impossibility" in context.
Below are my titles I have laboriously inventoried, photographed, documented and checked so far (the most frustrating ones?) and, did you know?: Amazon selectively removes old invoices? I've got a history that only goes back to 2001, but I bought things prior to that and also had orders archived. Guess what? There are no orders archived anymore! How convenient?!!

I have pages of order summaries that, at the bottom, it says "Page 1 of 6" or whatever, but for one year there's only 1 order left on the page. I think they do this for complete sets available for streaming so that people who bought complete sets back in the day have no "claim" to access the streaming version. Like, no, "I paid for this already, so I should be able to watch it on your server" thing.

Classic Comedy Teams Collection, dvd (Abbott & Costello disc works!)
Gold Raiders/Meet the Baron, dvd (single disc, original purchase before box set. Found to be defective during my recent search.)
Flintstones Complete Series, dvd (The one that looks like a stone television)
Tiny Toons, Series 1, Vol 2, dvd
Tiny Toons Vol 3, dvd
Tiny Toons Vol 4, dvd
Flying Down to Rio, Single Release, dvd
TCM Laurel & Hardy 2-Film Collection, dvd
Tex Avery’s Droopy, dvd
Pinky and the Brain Vol 1, dvd
Pinky and the Brain Vol 2, dvd
Pinky and the Brain Vol 3, dvd
Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain, dvd
Animaniacs Vol 1, dvd
Animaniacs Vol 2,dvd
Animaniacs Vol 4, dvd

Discs for which I conveniently have no receipt:
Animaniacs Vol 3, dvd
Austin Powers in Goldmember – InfiniFilm, dvd
F-Troop The Complete First Season, dvd
F-Troop The Complete Second Season, dvd
Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol 1, dvd
Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol 2, dvd
Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol 3, dvd
Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol 4, dvd
Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol 5, dvd
Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol 6, dvd
Keeping Up Appearances: The Full Bouquet 8 dvd box set
Keeping Up Appearances: Hats Off to Hyacinth, dvd (2 dead replacements)
(2 separately purchased copies of disc 8 from the set bought to be replacements which were also bad. With 3 discs in hand, 1 will not play, the other 2 will not play the video on the second layer. 6 of the 8 discs in the set will either not play or will not play the second layer.)
Tiny Toons, Season 1 Vol 1, dvd
Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collection 1, dvd
Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collection 2, dvd
Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collection 3, dvd

Last edited:

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
That movie also crapped out on me years ago, so far there is a DVDr but a Blu-ray of the movie would be much more appreciative !

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Most of the seasons of The West Wing are dead, especially season 6 and 7

I gather these are the individual season 6 and 7 sets manufactured before 2010 ?

My copy of the West Wing is a complete series set in a special "briefcase" packaging, which I purchased around a decade ago. These discs were all IFPI KK** (ie. Technicolor Mexico), where each disc was labeled sequentially from 1 to 45.

I discussed this briefly almost a decade ago in another thread on here.

Real Name
Eric
I gather these are the individual season 6 and 7 sets manufactured before 2010 ?

My copy of the West Wing is a complete series set in a special "briefcase" packaging, which I purchased around a decade ago. These discs were all IFPI KK** (ie. Technicolor Mexico), where each disc was labeled sequentially from 1 to 45.

I discussed this briefly almost a decade ago in another thread on here.

Yep, the individual seasons manufactured before 2010.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They really should just replace any defective or rotted title that gets sent to them, even if it’s out of print they should still have the disc images available to make more. This is just a ridiculous situation, and from the company that promoted DVD from the start also.

Real Name
Eric
Matrix Box Set - Discs are Dead
91eQEgYyVyL._SL1500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks