What's new

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I decided to watch Madame Bovary from the literary classics set. I first checked the Special Features and found none of them played. The film was fine until about chapter 22 when it started stuttering. I haven't checked the other titles from the set yet but I expect the worst. I hope Warner release a Blu-ray of Bovary which is an excellent film.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Alas, another Warners DVD bites the dust. The Bride Came C.O.D. from the Cagney box set freezes at the halfway mark. :angry:
I ordered a Warners MOD of The Bride Came C.O.D. from the Archive program to replace this disc from Amazon. What I received was an obvious bootleg with no Warners logo on the DVD. I'm now trying to get Amazon to credit my account :angry:

K72

Auditioning
Real Name
Klaus
TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE - THE BEGINNING unrated edition (New Line/Warner)
Plays until approximately 72 mins. then pixels and gone.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I ordered a Warners MOD of The Bride Came C.O.D. from the Archive program to replace this disc from Amazon. What I received was an obvious bootleg with no Warners logo on the DVD. I'm now trying to get Amazon to credit my account :angry:
WOW Thomas, that's just insane!! Hope you were able to get the legitimate Archive MOD!

Maybe Amazon should send you the replacement disc C.O.D., but only after you get to pop the disc into your player to verify its legitimacy? ;)

CHEERS! :)

Real Name
Eric
TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE - THE BEGINNING unrated edition (New Line/Warner)
Plays until approximately 72 mins. then pixels and gone.
Oh man! Now I need to check my disc. I have a feeling a lot more New Line Cinema discs will be added to the list as they pressed their discs at the same plant as Warner

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Oy! Two more Warner discs bite the dust. Both from box sets. Dragon Seed from the Katharine Hepburn collection freezes at the halfway mark and Lucky Me from the Doris Day Collection Vol. 2 also freezes about an hour and 10 minutes into the film. So disheartening :(

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Oy! Two more Warner discs bite the dust. Both from box sets. Dragon Seed from the Katharine Hepburn collection freezes at the halfway mark and Lucky Me from the Doris Day Collection Vol. 2 also freezes about an hour and 10 minutes into the film. So disheartening :(
My Lucky Me has also bitten the dust. I'm hoping Warner Archive release it on one of their magnificent Blu-ray discs.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I decided to watch Madame Bovary from the literary classics set. I first checked the Special Features and found none of them played. The film was fine until about chapter 22 when it started stuttering. I haven't checked the other titles from the set yet but I expect the worst. I hope Warner release a Blu-ray of Bovary which is an excellent film.
My request was soon fulfilled with Madame Bovary coming in December on Blu-ray 😀

K72

Auditioning
Real Name
Klaus
Warner:
4 Film Favorites: Urban Action Collection
Disc 1 "Black Belt Jones" & "Hot Potato": Second movie (after layerbreak) over and out.

Real Name
Eric
Warner:
Disc 1 "Black Belt Jones" & "Hot Potato": Second movie (after layerbreak) over and out.
Confirmed. Saw your post and checked my disc and it was also dead. Seems like most of the affected discs are from August 2006-May 2008 but this being a 2010 release makes me nervous the affected discs are in a much wider range

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Warner:

From looking at ebay photos of this set showing the silver sides of the discs, it appears the discs were manufactured at the now-defunct Cinram Olyphant, PA plant (IFPI 2U**) which was the source of many problematic Warner discs over the mid-late 2000s.

According to amazon listings, this set was first released in January 12, 2010. The change of Warner from Cinram to Technicolor happened sometime in mid 2010, where the first official announcement was on February 2, 2010.

This is not a set I see often at wallymart or dump bins. I have no idea if Warner would have made subsequent pressings after the initial batch at Cinram.

Noir Norn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Warren
Warner:
Thanks to your post, I dug out my Urban Action Collection last night to rewatch "Hot Potato" ... which froze several times but continued to play to the end of the credits.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I know I made the thread for DVD, but my Warner UHD of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets kept freezing at the 2 hour mark all the way to the end. I wound up switching to the Blu-ray to finish. This was the first Warner UHD to give me problems. Universal UHDs give me the most problems :(

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I know I made the thread for DVD, but my Warner UHD of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets kept freezing at the 2 hour mark all the way to the end. I wound up switching to the Blu-ray to finish. This was the first Warner UHD to give me problems. Universal UHDs give me the most problems :(
You've probably checked this, but just in case, make sure you don't have any fingerprints on your 4K disc. I've been bingeing on the latest Hitchock 4K collection, which are kind of hard to get out of the case without touching the bottom side of the disc. In my player, at least, if there's even a slight visible fingerprint, I'll get glitches somewhere into the film. I thought I had a bad disc until I wiped it clean with a cloth. Then it played just fine.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
You've probably checked this, but just in case, make sure you don't have any fingerprints on your 4K disc. I've been bingeing on the latest Hitchock 4K collection, which are kind of hard to get out of the case without touching the bottom side of the disc. In my player, at least, if there's even a slight visible fingerprint, I'll get glitches somewhere into the film. I thought I had a bad disc until I wiped it clean with a cloth. Then it played just fine.
I cleaned the disc each time it froze. Sometimes I wonder if it is the player and not the disc, but the player does play all my other 4K discs from Kino, Warner, Shout Factory, Blue Underground, Severin...
Seems like the HP discs themselves might be faulty, but Ive played them all before and never had this problem with any of them. It's really odd !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks