What's new

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play (4 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I cleaned the disc each time it froze. Sometimes I wonder if it is the player and not the disc, but the player does play all my other 4K discs from Kino, Warner, Shout Factory, Blue Underground, Severin...
Seems like the HP discs themselves might be faulty, but Ive played them all before and never had this problem with any of them. It's really odd !
What player model?

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Price FROZE and sputtered at the one hour mark...I switched to the Blu-ray which had stronger audio anyway!
I feel like Im going to have to watch every major studios' UHD movies only make sure they don't freeze up ( Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Back to the Future, etc)
This seems to happen in box sets where the discs are not in hubs, but the HP movies are in hubs.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Took a chance and bought a used copy of Big Jim McClain and it totally froze on my Sony and Oppo players around the 40 minute mark. Disc is pristine physically. Bummer. $4 isn’t bad but does anyone know if the dvd on Amazon is a MOD or is it still pressed? Amazon wants $24 for it so it’s not worth taking a chance if it fails too.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Took a chance and bought a used copy of Big Jim McClain and it totally froze on my Sony and Oppo players around the 40 minute mark. Disc is pristine physically. Bummer. $4 isn’t bad but does anyone know if the dvd on Amazon is a MOD or is it still pressed? Amazon wants $24 for it so it’s not worth taking a chance if it fails too.
It shows its a 2007 Warner Home Video DVD. So its old but pressed. Its not a WAC mod pressed or burned disc unfortunately. WAC discs have a better track record than WHV

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I played my 2007 DVD in its entirety. The DVD played flawlessly, however, it's too bad the movie is still a pile of political propaganda crap. One of my least favorite John Wayne movies but he's my favorite movie actor so it stays in my disc collection.

VintageMacGS

Auditioning
Real Name
J Mark
After having some playback issues with two discs, I decided to do some research and this thread came up. At first, I though my Sony player was at fault but I tried the discs on other players and my computer drive and the same freezing issues persisted. I looked through all 52 pages here but I don't think I've seen these two titles listed which will not play after around 40-45 minutes:

The Shoes Of The Fisherman starring Anthony Quinn, dated 2005

It Happened on 5th Avenue starring Don DeFore, from the TCM box set Greatest Classic Films Holiday dated 2009 and comes with 2 flipper discs (someone mentioned this title but it was a standalone disc)

Both discs have the IPFI 2U code and have been played before with no problems. I do have many discs so I probably watch some titles every 2-3 years but it is disappointing to find out about these problems. Thanks to the many posters who have mentioned the titles that are suspect and I will add any more if I find them.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I learned from this thread that the "Made In Mexico" stamp on the packaging was a sign the dvds were not from the impacted factory/plant. l only found the Complete Hepburn/Tracy box set to be "Made In Mexico", ironically most of those I have on blu-ray.

I am at the point where I may just toss my many, many Warner DVD box sets, each purchased the week they came out because I worked near the now-defunct J & R Music World. Some I never even opened, like the Greta Garbo box (which is my own fault.)

The ones I may focus on individually testing are the post-2008 Forbidden Hollywood sets (volumes 3 to 10.) They don't say Made In Mexico but I have not read too many complaints about them.

VintageMacGS

Auditioning
Real Name
J Mark
I learned from this thread that the "Made In Mexico" stamp on the packaging was a sign the dvds were not from the impacted factory/plant. l only found the Complete Hepburn/Tracy box set to be "Made In Mexico", ironically most of those I have on blu-ray.

I am at the point where I may just toss my many, many Warner DVD box sets, each purchased the week they came out because I worked near the now-defunct J & R Music World. Some I never even opened, like the Greta Garbo box (which is my own fault.)

The ones I may focus on individually testing are the post-2008 Forbidden Hollywood sets (volumes 3 to 10.) They don't say Made In Mexico but I have not read too many complaints about them.
Have you tried using the email listed in the video posted earlier ([email protected])? I am currently trying to see if the two titles I listed above can be replaced due to their freezing issues. I did receive a reply back asking for the movie/DVD information as well as my personal information so I'll see what happens. Since I did receive a reply, someone must be monitoring the email.

Kirben

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
Does anyone know if the effected DVD plants, that caused these DVD failures, were used for overseas releases too? just wondering if buying older DVD releases from Europe or Australia is better option.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Does anyone know if the effected DVD plants, that caused these DVD failures, were used for overseas releases too? just wondering if buying older DVD releases from Europe or Australia is better option.
I can only speak from my own experience so this is not authoritative, but I've never had a play-back problem with European DVDs.

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
ALL digital media and that includes dvds and blurays,, have a limited life span.
True, though my understanding is that as long as the CD, DVD, or Blu-ray is manufactured correctly and taken care of properly, their lifespan should outlast ours, or come pretty close. I still have CDs from the early 1980s that look and play like new. Discs that won't play only a decade later clearly have something wrong with them.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
True, though my understanding is that as long as the CD, DVD, or Blu-ray is manufactured correctly and taken care of properly, their lifespan should outlast ours, or come pretty close. I still have CDs from the early 1980s that look and play like new. Discs that won't play only a decade later clearly have something wrong with them.
While I agree, I also know that CDs are significantly less complex to manufacture (while at the same time being far more fragile). DVDs and BRs are complex beasties, often having 2 layers of data. There are up to 4 layers on a DS/DD DVD. That involves glue which is the typical cause of failure when its bond between the layers breaks or it becomes too cloudy rendering that 2nd layer unreadable.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
After having some playback issues with two discs, I decided to do some research and this thread came up. At first, I though my Sony player was at fault but I tried the discs on other players and my computer drive and the same freezing issues persisted. I looked through all 52 pages here but I don't think I've seen these two titles listed which will not play after around 40-45 minutes:

The Shoes Of The Fisherman starring Anthony Quinn, dated 2005
I haven't had issues with my copy of Fisherman, and I play that one fairly regularly, a few times a year or so.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
While I agree, I also know that CDs are significantly less complex to manufacture (while at the same time being far more fragile). DVDs and BRs are complex beasties, often having 2 layers of data. There are up to 4 layers on a DS/DD DVD. That involves glue which is the typical cause of failure when its bond between the layers breaks or it becomes too cloudy rendering that 2nd layer unreadable.
I think UHDs are even worse - we’ll see how durable they turn out to be.

VintageMacGS

Auditioning
Real Name
J Mark
I haven't had issues with my copy of Fisherman, and I play that one fairly regularly, a few times a year or so.
Did you check to see if it's from the factory that produced the problem discs? I never had a problem with that one either until a month ago. I have multiple players and it wouldn't work on any of them and it started in the same spot so clearly a defect. Same with It Happened on 5th Avenue which is from that same factory with the IPFI 2U code.

Some copies of The Shoes Of The Fisherman have French subtitles for Canada. Do you have that version?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks