What's new

Warner Bros. Discovery and Paramount in merger talks (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
To me, the question of whether Zaslav is allowed to be in charge of yet another studio is a “burning question.”

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I had no idea Paramount's parent company/largest shareholder (whatever the case may be) is National Amusements. They're great at running dumpy outdated theaters in bad neighborhoods :)

Not sure how to feel about this tbh. As long as it doesn't affect the physical media juggernaut the studio has been engaged in for 3 years now, I guess I really don't give a rat's patootie who owns them.

Reactions: PMF

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
So, the Disney/Fox deal wasn't technically a merger...Fox just sold off the bulk of its assets to Disney. But there's still a separate Fox entity.

Sounds like the possibilities here run the gamut from a deal like that to a straight up merger.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The bigger the company, the less chance there is for someone to really care about its assets. That's why Disney doesn't know wtf to do with Star Wars and Marvel right now.
I think Disney placed too much emphasis on Star Wars and Marvel and have basically ignored many Fox classics.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Per the Variety article:
The biggest hurdle for dealmakers may be putting a value on Paramount’s linear cable networks such as MTV, Nickelodeon, VH1, Comedy Central, Paramount Network, TV Land and more. Those channels were once the backbone of Viacom, but their value is shrinking every year as traditional cable subscribers exit for their own self-made menus of streamers. Warner Bros. Discovery already has its own legacy linear cable networks to bolster (TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network, Discovery, TLC, et al.) so a merger of the two could see mini-mergers of channels and probably the sunset of some once-stalwart cable brands.

THEY BETTER NOT TOUCH TCM.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So, the Disney/Fox deal wasn't technically a merger...Fox just sold off the bulk of its assets to Disney. But there's still a separate Fox entity.

Sounds like the possibilities here run the gamut from a deal like that to a straight up merger.
If you want to be pedantic about it, Disney got the 20th Century part and Fox is still Fox.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Besides the fact that I think he’s an inept administrator, Zaslav is poison to the creative community […]
Sounds equal or worse to the period in which Gary Barber was blockading archivist accesses to the vaults at MGM (along with The Board thereafter) allowing vinegar syndrome and more to destroy our American film heritage.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I think Disney placed too much emphasis on Star Wars and Marvel and have basically ignored many Fox classics.
One can only speculate where classic Fox films might be now, had there been someone like the late Nick Redman still with us today to guide and influence..

Last edited:

filmfreak

Agent
Real Name
Brian
The bigger the company, the less chance there is for someone to really care about its assets. That's why Disney doesn't know wtf to do with Star Wars and Marvel right now.
Disney has a treasure trove of 20th Century Fox film noir titles that may never see the light of day again. It sucks!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Disney has a treasure trove of 20th Century Fox film noir titles that may never see the light of day again. It sucks!
It would be an impossibility - which goes against all logic and financial returns - to learn that such an expensive acquisition was for the sole purpose of locking away a crucial part of American film history forever.

Not a chance. Never.

And you can bank on this projection.

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Per the Variety article:
The biggest hurdle for dealmakers may be putting a value on Paramount’s linear cable networks such as MTV, Nickelodeon, VH1, Comedy Central, Paramount Network, TV Land and more. Those channels were once the backbone of Viacom, but their value is shrinking every year as traditional cable subscribers exit for their own self-made menus of streamers. Warner Bros. Discovery already has its own legacy linear cable networks to bolster (TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network, Discovery, TLC, et al.) so a merger of the two could see mini-mergers of channels and probably the sunset of some once-stalwart cable brands.

THEY BETTER NOT TOUCH TCM.
As Captain Kirk said in Star Trek VI, that’s the biggest reason why this is a TERRIFYING IDEA. Paramount owns its share of Classic films. Not the least of which is Its a wonderful Life. Warner Leadership does not have my confidence in this regard

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
As Captain Kirk said in Star Trek VI, that’s the biggest reason why this is a TERRIFYING IDEA. Paramount owns its share of Classic films. Not the least of which is Its a wonderful Life. Warner Leadership does not have my confidence in this regard
My concern is for unreleased deep catalog titles.

WB already has such a vast catalog of films that at the current rate they'll simply never get through remastering them all. It'll take decades. Add the Paramount library of titles to that, and some are just never going to make it.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
My concern is for unreleased deep catalog titles.

WB already has such a vast catalog of films that at the current rate they'll simply never get through remastering them all. It'll take decades. Add the Paramount library of titles to that, and some are just never going to make it.
My concern is for all the people and families that may lose their jobs/primary sources of income/have their careers derailed (and the downstream effect in the industry) when these mega consolidations occur. Deep catalog titles, yes a shame but there are more pressing concerns out there.

Last edited:

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
My concern is for all the people and families that may lose their jobs/primary sources of icome/have their careers derailed (and the downstream effect in the industry) when these mega consolidations occur. Deep catalog titles, yes a shame but there are more pressing concerns out there.

Well there's multiple reasons to see such a proposed merger/acquisition as not such a great thing. Expressing concern for one aspect of this need not imply disregard for others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks