What's new

Coyote vs. Acme Cancelled By WB May Go To Streaming Service (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
As I've said before, I don't know why we should believe a random Twitter account. That being said, I would expect Warner Bros. and their lawyers to come down hard on anyone who attempts to leak one of their films.

The majority of Millennials and especially Gen Z think they know how everything works in the world today. They think if you bully enough you can get results and if they were to break the law, such as leaking a film out, they can do so without dealing with any consequences as well.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
A better name for this movie would have been COYOTE VERSUS WARNER BROTHERS.
I know it's never going to happen, but I thought you know if someday, sometime, if the current upper echelon were ever replaced and the one following one of the Lampoon some of the decisions that had been made they could remake the movie and have it that and have that film in the middle of it just bookend it. The question is have there even been even remotely one test screening to where they can get you know any kind of indication on how well this would do?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I know it's never going to happen, but I thought you know if someday, sometime, if the current upper echelon were ever replaced and the one following one of the Lampoon some of the decisions that had been made they could remake the movie and have it that and have that film in the middle of it just bookend it. The question is have there even been even remotely one test screening to where they can get you know any kind of indication on how well this would do?

Animated GIF

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Talk to text with autocorrect:mellow:

If the next group of people running the studio decide to poke fun of the people currently running the studio.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The question is have there even been even remotely one test screening to where they can get you know any kind of indication on how well this would do?
The director said it was tested several times, and tested well:

"Director Green wrote, “For three years, I was lucky enough to make a movie about Wile E. Coyote, the most persistent, passionate, and resilient character of all time. I was surrounded by a brilliant team, who poured their souls into this project for years. We were all determined to honor the legacies of these historic characters and actually get them right. Along the ride, we were embraced by test audiences who rewarded us with fantastic scores. I am beyond proud of the final product, and beyond devastated by WB’s decision. But in the spirit of Wile E. Coyote, resilience and persistence win the day.”" (Indiewire)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The director said it was tested several times, and tested well:

"Director Green wrote, “For three years, I was lucky enough to make a movie about Wile E. Coyote, the most persistent, passionate, and resilient character of all time. I was surrounded by a brilliant team, who poured their souls into this project for years. We were all determined to honor the legacies of these historic characters and actually get them right. Along the ride, we were embraced by test audiences who rewarded us with fantastic scores. I am beyond proud of the final product, and beyond devastated by WB’s decision. But in the spirit of Wile E. Coyote, resilience and persistence win the day.”" (Indiewire)

I’ve seen that quote.

Do we know if Argylle had good test screenings?
Did Madame Web have good test screenings?
Did Cats have good test screenings?

I just saw that Werner Herzog saw a screening of Barbie, and thought it was horrible.

Do test screenings actually mean anything?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I’ve seen that quote.

Do we know if Argylle had good test screenings?
Did Madame Web have good test screenings?
Did Cats have good test screenings?

I just saw that Werner Herzog saw a screening of Barbie, and thought it was horrible.

Did Cats have any screenings before it's actual release is question we all want to know

Screenings in general I don't think make or break a film for a studio these days, just good or bad for publicity is all.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I saw that quote. My impression is that he was talking about just watching the movie, not a test or advance screening.

Test screenings do mean something because the filmmakers will often adjust the film in response to feedback and reactions they witness at test screenings. Jeffrey Katzenberg wanted to cut "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid after it failed to hold kids' attention at a test screening. They actually did cut "If I Never Knew You" out of Pocahontas because kids got bored during it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My understanding is that the purpose of these sorts of write-offs was supposed to be a means to stop the bleeding by not continuing to throw more good money after bad. In the pre-streaming days, when releasing a picture meant tens of thousands of dollars or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in distribution costs to make prints and ship them around the country, in addition to millions in marketing expenses, it made sense to shelve movies that weren't going to be profitable.

If Warner Bros. doesn't see a path to profitability for this film theatrically, fair enough.

But in this case, a number of streamers were reportedly offering tens of millions of dollars for this movie. Warner Bros. turned them down because they would rather take the write-off. It seems like there's something wrong with our tax law if it's more advantageous financially to lose more money than it would be to lose less.

If they didn't, studios wouldn't pay for them.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The majority of Millennials and especially Gen Z think they know how everything works in the world today. They think if you bully enough you can get results and if they were to break the law, such as leaking a film out, they can do so without dealing with any consequences as well.

Yeah, Millennials and Gen Z invented breaking laws and flouting copyright.

No prior generation ever did that! :rolleyes:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
…Warner Bros. turned them down because they would rather take the write-off. It seems like there's something wrong with our tax law if it's more advantageous financially to lose more money than it would be to lose less.
That should be considered fraud.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Warner Bros. turned them down because they would rather take the write-off. It seems like there's something wrong with our tax law if it's more advantageous financially to lose more money than it would be to lose less.

That should be considered fraud.

It's the plot of The Producers, creative accounting. Making more money with a flop, than with a hit.

1708882907542.png

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Makes me think that WB is being run by Les Grossman of Tropic Thunder. Or someone equally loathsome.

Hopefully the film will see the light of day one way or another.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
James Gunn worked on this film. He is credited with the screen story. He is also the co-CEO of DC Studios and reports directly to David Zazlav, who made the decision to scrap it. Obviously, Gunn is an important employee for the company. If even people as valuable as Gunn can have their movies scrapped for a tax write-off, that doesn't send a very compelling message to other creative talent who might be considering setting up a project at WB. But it is Zazlav's decision to make.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Makes me think that WB is being run by Les Grossman of Tropic Thunder. Or someone equally loathsome.

Hopefully the film will see the light of day one way or another.
It won't. Once the write off is taken, it's locked away forever like the statue of disgraced Penn State college football coach Joe Paterno. In both cases, I don't think it is cause for mourning. These are the realities of the business right now.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Zazlav saw too much of the Coyote in himself and thought the filmmakers were doing his biography. :laugh:
You know, its easy to vilify these accounting decisions when they impact cinema because we love it so much but compared to what Thalberg and Mayer did to Von Stroheim and Buster Keaton, or what George Schaefer did to Welles, or what James Aubrey did to Peckinpah (and there are countless other examples of an artist being victimized by the Hollywood system) is this really that bad? It's just Recency Bias. Countless TV pilots have been shot and not picked up and never see the light of day too. A ton of TV shows have been canceled after airing a few episodes and then the rest buried...This is not that different. Yes, it is very sad for everyone that was involved but as I said, these are odd times in the industry and they are masters of creative accounting and exploiting tax code loopholes (like every other major business.).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks