What's new

Coyote vs. Acme Cancelled By WB May Go To Streaming Service (1 Viewer)

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
It won't. Once the write off is taken, it's locked away forever like the statue of disgraced Penn State college football coach Joe Paterno. In both cases, I don't think it is cause for mourning. These are the realities of the business right now.
It will definitely be no cause for mourning when Zaslav eventually gets canned.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
You're right, it's an assumption. But if the studios thought this handful of films were likely to be critical or box office hits, they would be released. They must be truly dire to be locked away (or destroyed) for ever!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You're right, it's an assumption. But if the studios thought this handful of films were likely to be critical or box office hits, they would be released. They must be truly dire to be locked away (or destroyed) for ever!
The test screening results of this movie prove that wrong.

I've said it before but no piece of 'art' deserves to be hidden away simply so some scumbag corporation can essentially steal money by exploiting tax laws.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A ton of TV shows have been canceled after airing a few episodes and then the rest buried...This is not that different.
Comparing the canceling of a TV show to what Zaslav is doing isn't reasonable. The two situations are completely different. In the case of the TV show the show is at least allowed a chance to succeed or fail on its own merit.

WB canceled the film simply for a tax.credit before it had been released to succeed or fail in the marketplace on its own merit. Comparing it to the canceling of a short-lived TV series is ridiculous.

A tax write off to incentivize suppression of creative content is foul.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Comparing the canceling of a TV show to what Zaslav is doing isn't reasonable. The two situations are completely different. In the case of the TV show the show is at least allowed a chance to succeed or fail on its own merit.

WB canceled the film simply for a tax.credit before it had been released to succeed or fail in the marketplace on its own merit. Comparing it to the canceling of a short-lived TV series is ridiculous.

A tax write off to incentivize suppression of creative content is foul.
Read about the blacklist, Pasolini, Buñuel, Lenny Bruce, Sergei Eisenstein, Dziga Vertov or Dimitri Shostakovich, ad infinitum and let me know if the phrase "suppression of creative content" really applies to the creators of Coyote vs. Acme.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Read about the blacklist, Pasolini, Buñuel, Lenny Bruce, Sergei Eisenstein, Dziga Vertov or Dimitri Shostakovich, ad infinitum and let me know if the phrase "suppression of creative content" really applies to the creators of Coyote vs. Acme.
I don't know why you think I see any difference between what the people you mention had done to them and their work and what has been done to the work of these filmmakers. Thee is no difference.

Ensuring their work is never seen for a corporate tax break isn't any better than having a career ruined due to perceived political beliefs. It ends the same way with some "Star Chmber" deciding what will and won't be seen by people. It is srill suppression whether it is due to politics or just plain financial greed and it is foul,, no matter what mechanism is used.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I don't know why you think I see any difference between what the people you mention had done to them and their work and what has been done to the work of these filmmakers. Thee is no difference.

Ensuring their work is never seen for a corporate tax break isn't any better than having a career ruined due to perceived political beliefs. It ends the same way with some "Star Chmber" deciding what will and won't be seen by people. It is srill suppression whether it is due to politics or just plain financial greed and it is foul,, no matter what mechanism is used.
It's all bad. And I don't like to grade misery on a sliding scale. It has been bad and will continue to be bad because there is too much money involved. So let's leave it at that...

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah all of this was just cope/bargaining phase. Nothing was ever going to come out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks