What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (FEEDBACK) (3 Viewers)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Richard M S said:
It is also interesting to speculate about the titles not on the list, like the early Garland films, the Andy Hardy pictures and various missing musicals which I hope will get the full deluxe Warners box some day.
The Andy Hardy films were supposedly planned for future releases (store/mainline releases) at some point according to another HTF member that contacted a WB rep. I hope that's the reason we're not seeing them listed at this site.
After reading the posts here, I'm getting a better feeling about the DVD quality from this outlet. If they're comparable to the usual factory-pressed DVD's, I think this is a good idea from WB.
If they hadn't rolled out this service, how many of these titles would have appeared in stores? The way I look at DVD releases is that Std DVD has been around...12 years now? And there's so many mainline studio releases out there still waiting for their initial releases.
In a way, this story getting out there before the WB chat might turn out to be helpful for overseas customers since there will be plenty of MTF posts to reference at chat time.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll say this again.
With the repeated conversations I have had with Warner over the
past few months about this rollout, the quality of these releases are
supposed to be the same as factory pressed DVDs.
Have there been tremendous restoration efforts done to these films?
I don't know, but I would highly doubt that they wouldn't have done at
least a minimal amount of general cleanup to these titles.
We'll find out more tomorrow evening. I'm going to pick up a few
titles myself including One Trick Pony which I haven't seen
since it aired on cable back in the 80s.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jeff Willis said:
In a way, this story getting out there before the WB chat might turn out to be helpful for overseas customers since there will be plenty of MTF posts to reference at chat time.
Excellent point, but in order to be fair here, I see some problems for Warner and their marketing strategy.
Yes, there is a big market for these titles from classic film fans, collectors and people just wanting their favorite films on DVD. However, the price point is rather high and without some kind of discounted pricing along with free shipping while also having to pay sales tax, these select DVDs could cost a consumer $22-23 a piece. That's not cheap for a DVD, especially for one that is without any extras and with packaging less than what consumers might get from DVDs bought at a retailer. At around 22 or 23 bucks, I could buy a Blu-ray disc cheaper than that from Amazon or other retailers.
Such a high price will affect sales and I understand Warner's desire to maximize profits, especially considering today's economic situation, but they need to realize that this economic situation cuts both ways here. Without a middle man in this marketing equation, they need to find a way to make these titles a little more affordable. Consumers even classic film lovers have less discretionary spending now a days so they need to, at the very least, continue these 25% off codes and possibly expand them for more than just five DVDs. Also, free shipping options should remain available for consumers.
Lastly, I don't know Warner's issues for not allowing these titles to be purchased from people outside of the United States so I'm going to speak to them, knowing, I am ignorant about the reasoning behind that decision, but you need to take another look at it. There is a big market for these titles from film lovers all over this world. If you really want to move some units on these titles then don't ignore these consumers. There are more of them than you realize and their passion for these titles are just as great as American film lovers. As I stated beforehand, I'll be the first to admit that there might be some issues unknown to me regarding not selling them to folks outside of the USA. However, it's really in your best interest to revisit this issue and try to resolve it so that film lovers everywhere can enjoy these titles as it will be more profitable for you to do so.
Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Robert Crawford said:
Excellent point, but in order to be fair here, I see some problems for Warner and their marketing strategy.
Yes, there is a big market for these titles from classic film fans, collectors and people just wanting their favorite films on DVD. However, the price point is rather high and without some kind of discounted pricing along with free shipping while also having to pay sales tax, these select DVDs could cost a consumer $22-23 a piece. That's not cheap for a DVD, especially for one that is without any extras and with packaging less than what consumers might get from DVDs bought at a retailer. At around 22 or 23 bucks, I could buy a Blu-ray disc cheaper than that from Amazon or other retailers.
Such a high price will affect sales and I understand Warner's desire to maximize profits, especially considering today's economic situation, but they need to realize that this economic situation cuts both ways here. Without a middle man in this marketing equation, they need to find a way to make these titles a little more affordable. Consumers even classic film lovers have less discretionary spending now a days so they need to, at the very least, continue these 25% off codes and possibly expand them for more than just five DVDs. Also, free shipping options should remain available for consumers.
Lastly, I don't know Warner's issues for not allowing these titles to be purchased from people outside of the United States so I'm going to speak to them, knowing, I am ignorant about the reasoning behind that decision, but you need to take another look at it. There is a big market for these titles from film lovers all over this world. If you really want to move some units on these titles then don't ignore these consumers. There are more of them than you realize and their passion for these titles are just as great as American film lovers. As I stated beforehand, I'll be the first to admit that there might be some issues unknown to me regarding not selling them to folks outside of the USA. However, it's really in your best interest to revisit this issue and try to resolve it so that film lovers everywhere can enjoy these titles as it will be more profitable for you to do so.
On all those issues, well said. :emoji_thumbsup:

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw the other thread about Warnes releasing classics. I was very excited to see some that ive been dying to see for along time is comming. I was so happy. That was until I saw that they wont be shipped outside US. BIG FAT SLAP IN THE FACE!

This is so rude! Im so mad! Ive been a faithful buyer of Warner Classics for 4 years now. I have given alot of my money to them, and this is how they treat me? I won't be buying anymore from them! No "Forbidden Hollywood Collection vol.3" for my money! No "Warner Gangster Collection vol 4" for my money! No "Greer Garson movies" for my money! I just download them for free!

Beast of the City

Betrayed

Chained

Dance, Fools, Dance

Emma

Forsaking All Others

Goodbye, My Fancy

Homecoming

Honkey Tonk

Ice Follies of 1939

Idiot's Delight

The Kiss

Laughing Sinners

Love

Love On The Run

Mannequin

Mrs Parkington

Payment On Demand

Possessed

Private Lives

The Shining Hour

The Single Standard

Somewhere I'll Find You

Spring Fever

Strange Interlude

This Woman Is Dangerous

Three Comrades

We Were Dancing

When Ladies Meet

Wild Orchids

30x 19,95 = 598,50

They are losing 600 dollars on just 1 person. I sure hope they are reading this and that someone will take it up on the chat tomorrow! Goodbye Warnes!

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Robert Crawford said:
Lastly, I don't know Warner's issues for not allowing these titles to be purchased from people outside of the United States so I'm going to speak to them, knowing, I am ignorant about the reasoning behind that decision, but you need to take another look at it. There is a big market for these titles from film lovers all over this world.
If Warner persist with the only U.S. sales policy, then they will just create a market of people buying the discs in bulk, then on selling them on Amazon.com Marketplace and / or eBay; most likely at inflated prices as international buyers revert to buying them from there.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Unless WB switches their policy, maybe some of us can run a "third party" mediator project for those in the UK exclusively on HTF. How about the cost of the DVDs, shipping, and a £1 fee?

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Richard MS said:
It is also interesting to speculate about the titles not on the list, like the early Garland films, the Andy Hardy pictures and various missing musicals which I hope will get the full deluxe Warners box some day.
I have been thinking of this too
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Same for Harlow, early Bette Davis, John Garfield, Errol Flynn, Mitchum, Stanwyck...

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
There are many good titles on the list, but the one that is calling out to me saying "buy me" is the worst (and probably one of the worst films ever):THE BIG CIRCUS. Overbearing, melodramatic, heavy-handed, Victor Mature and Gilbert Roland, Vincent Price and Peter Lorre as red herrings, Kathryn Grant in a trapeze performer's outfit, Irwin Allen's weird perception of Red Buttons as a romantic lead...is there anything this film doesn't have?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Patrick McCart said:
Unless WB switches their policy, maybe some of us can run a "third party" mediator project for those in the UK exclusively on HTF. How about the cost of the DVDs, shipping, and a £1 fee?
It would be a generous (typically for HTF'ers) offer, but even then a quick calculation - saying each DVD costs no more than $19.95 - a single shipment is going to work out at around £18. Well past the cost of your basic 'Essential Art House' disc, and deep into 'lovingly prepared' Criterion territory. Cost, with a plunging £, would be a huge factor here.
Personally, I'd be a tad uncomfortable relying on the generosity of others, no matter how well intended; you know how the British hate to put anyone to any bother... ;)

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
John Hodson said:
It would be a generous (typically for HTF'ers) offer, but even then a quick calculation - saying each DVD costs no more than $19.95 - a single shipment is going to work out at around £18. Well past the cost of your basic 'Essential Art House' disc, and deep into 'lovingly prepared' Criterion territory. Cost, with a plunging £, would be a huge factor for here.
Personally, I'd be a tad uncomfortable relying on the generosity of others, no matter how well intended; you know how the British hate to put anyone to any bother... ;)
I guess we have to wait till tomorrow to get some more clarification about the whole situation and Warner's general approach towards classic movies in the future.
I have this bad feeling that they are going to cut the normal releases in favor of this new line. I hope I am wrong about this.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Marcel H. said:
I guess we have to wait till tomorrow to get some more clarification about the whole situation and Warner's general approach towards classic movies in the future.
I have this bad feeling that they are going to cut the normal releases in favor of this new line. I hope I am wrong about this.
After having had time to let it all sink in, this is my greatest fear as well.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Marcel H. said:
Yup; that's my thinking too.

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
Marcel H. said:
I think you might be right. And if this isn't a success, what happens next? Sorry for being a bit doom and gloom.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Hodson said:
I'll be very interested to see if these are on DVD-Rs, and if any effort has gone into the transfers.
I've seen a number of these titles, and the quality is fine. Each master was vetted, many by Mr. Feltenstein himself. All are proper aspect ratio, and stereo where applicable. Any titles that did not make spec were eliminated until newer transfers become available. In this regard the list has been changing over the past few months as test discs were created.
This is a HUGE effort which has been in the works for a long time, and is the only viable means of offering films to the public via DVD in short runs. Films such as the silents, early Garbo / Gable MGM efforts would have otherwise remained in the vaults.
The discs themselves are burned, not pressed. None that I've seen have had any problems, and press vs. burn should not be a controversy.
I'm certain that there will be more news coming from tomorrow's chat, so stay tuned.
RAH

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Simon Howson said:
Are you sure? I'd suggest that places like Amazon.com and DVDPacific sell thousands of DVDs to overseas buyers every day. If the studios were actually upset about this they would stop THOSE companies from selling DVDs.
If they could think of a way of doing it, they would. Even now non-domestic sales are limited so the studios just accept it - but they don't like it.
If they didn;t mind, we wouldn't have to go through the whole region-coding stupidity again with BD.
Although, I accept that the majority of BD discs have been released with no region-coding.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Nebiroth said:
I am fairly sure that you can't buy or modify a Region B player to play Region A discs
Not wishing to go off track, but yes, you can (at a price). And, apparently there is a genuinely out-of-the-box all regions player currently on offer from an Australian manufacturer.
They will, I am sure, become more commonplace as the technology matures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks