What's new

War of the Worlds SE on 11/1/05 (1 Viewer)

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The Digital Bits is reporting that the delay in the release War of the Worlds SE is due to Steven Spielberg's desire to delay it. I guess King Steven couldn't stand the competition so he decreed we peons(customers) will have to
wait. I think that Spielberg has become a egotistical maniac. Why I don't know because the movie will probably do
very well even if it is the worst movie ever made. The rumored date is 11/1 but I wonder if King Steven has approved of that or will he decree that his movie's DVD release come first and order it to be delayed?

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
huh.
So when Saint Steven barks "Jump!"
Paramount pleads "How high?"
Interesting.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
"As we reported in the last Rumor Mill update, our sources have informed us that Paramount's classic War of the Worlds: Special Collector's Edition is tentatively expected to street on 11/1. The title had originally been set for a Summer 2005 release, but we've learned that director Steven Spielberg asked for it to be delayed until AFTER his re-imagined War of the Worlds arrived in theaters (on 6/27). Presumably, you can expect the revised street date to coincide with the DVD release of Spielberg's version of the alien invasion epic."

This is exactly what the Bits says about the delay. Really, guys, how many times are the original movies pushed back until the DVD is released? Let's stop jumping to conclusions and bad mouthing everyone under the sun.

Yes, all these King Steven, et al., comments could very well be right. But from a studio standpoint, it might have made more sense all around to delay the release until a special deal with the old and new versions could be put together.

Guys, chill, really.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
It was Paramount's decision to release the SE to coincide with the remake's release up until 1-2 months ago. I think most originals are released or re-released when the remake
comes out. I don't think that Paramount would suddenly
decide to change their mind. The first season of Bewitched is being released to coincide with the movie. Apparently King Kong's release will coincide with the remake. A Spiderman SE was released to coincide with the release of Spiderman 2.

I think its infuriating that one man has that power. If it
weren't for us paying to see his movies, he wouldn't be where he is. Again the question has to be asked, why does it bug him so much so that he wanted the original delayed?
If he is worried about the original stealing some of his
thunder then will he share the spotlight when the DVDs are released or will he demand another delay? I'm glad he isn't directing King Kong so he can't mess that up.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
What difference does it make if it is realeased in November instead of June? If you have an urge to watch it, the original bare bones disc is still available.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I simply don't understand the anger about this. Who really cares if the original comes out in June or November, just like Bradley said. If it comes out in June, how many people are going to pick it up and watch it immediately? It's the middle of the summer.

Plus, for it to have come out in June, wouldn't there have had to be a big announcement or something in late March or early April? I don't remember a thing about.

Besides, all this was posted in the RUMOR mill. It could be a RUMOR.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The dvd was never posted for preorder at any of the etailers, so I don't see the problem.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Harlan Ellison is always pissed about something. I can definitely understand a preference of Kurosawa over Spielberg but to state, as he does in that link, that the worst moment of a Kurosawa film is better than Spielberg's best is absolutely insane. Think of all the iconic Spielberg moments and then think of a 2nd unit or establishing shot from a Kurosawa film and tell me he's right.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
When isn't Harlan pissed about something?;)
God bless his crotchety hypocritical old soul.....what I mean by that is of all people to point the finger of Egomaniacal accusation, Harlan isn't exactly beyond reproach in that category......and I'm sure he would be the first to say so.:D

I just read an old interview with him from 1977 in Starlog and great googly-moogly does that man have a high opinion of his talent.....on the other hand as Ali said "It ain't bragging if you can do it".

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Just today I was rereading the "Rocketeer" graphic novel from 1988 and in the introduction Harlan Ellison rags on Spielberg quite a bit so he seems to have a pretty long-standing dislike for the man. As for the DVD, I can certainly wait until November for the Collector's Edition release.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Harlan Ellison isn't the only one always pissed about something! Seems like a small group of HTFers are, too. Like Bradley, Jason and Robert C., I agree that another 6 month wait for a film that has seen several home video incarnations already is hardly the end of the world. Those of us who have been waiting something like 25 YEARS for The High And The Mighty to show up on home video in ANY format don't have much sympathy for you fellas.

Spielberg has the power. Good for him!

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
If anything, I think all the marketing for the upcoming movie actually makes me want to see the original, and THEN see Spielberg's version. It is a bit annoying it will be delayed, but if he did have something to do with delaying it, I can't seem to get too angry with the man who has brought us some great, fun movies, and who made sure the original version of E.T. was put on the dvd release.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor

That right there, among other things, is the source of my respect and admiration of Mr. Spielberg.

While I would rather see the S.E. of the original released sooner rather than later, I am willing to wait.

Mark_Mc

Agent

Agreed. I've seen the original only once, several years ago on TV, but the marketing campaign for the new version has broguht back some fond memories, and the SE will now be a definate purchase.

It's a shame that the SE has been delayed, but I guess November is around the time that Spielberg's version will hit DVD, so the timing isn't too bad - it'll make a great double-bill for an evening's viewing.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Who would be the right person to record an audio commentary for the original version ?

Are any of the original cast or crew still alive ?

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
I believe other sources (might be the Bits) said that the SE would have commentary by Gene Barry and Anne Robinson, along with Joe Dante and Bob Burns.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks