What's new

VR discussion: Oculus Rift, Vive, Morpheus and more! (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was watching some boobtube content and came across some comments about the PSVR2. Supposedly, the unit isn't selling too well. It appears that it has run I to the "console curse"; the one where anything related to consoles shouldn't cost more than 300 dollars.

I really don't get why console gamers think anything related to consoles, including the consoles themselves should never cost more than 300 to 400 dollars. Have they never heard of inflation?.

Anyway, if the thing really is turning out to be dud due to price then I probably should have waited until the price was cut to goose sales. I really need to stop "early adopting". :lol:

About the only thing I wish the thing had was PQ quality and colour that actually matched what PS5 content looks on a 4K set. Using GT7 as an example, the PQ is passable but really pales next to the flat version. I prefer playing that game in VR, but it socks having to give up the level of quality displayed on a 4K set.

SONY engaged in a bit if false advertising touting it as 4K HDR.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
There are about a 100 videos out there now about that, all referencing the same original article, which appeared on Bloomberg. Bloomberg has posted the same article about pretty much every vr launch, without citing accurate sources for the claims. Don't know why they have such a hate bias against VR, but what is more disturbing is how everyone has latched onto that one single article and now it has spread like wildfire everywhere about how PSVR2 is a "Failure". I guess that was probably their intention all along.

None of it makes any sense at all of course. Yes the headset is expensive, and is a luxury item. However, that price is like half of what an equivalent competing PCVR headset costs, and is an incredible deal for what you get. Also I have no idea why when discussing price, the point 'you also have to buy a PS5' comes into it. The ps5 is it's own console and plays it's own games, and doesn't exist solely to play PSVR2 games. Did they also forget you have to buy a $1000+ pc to use pcvr too? So stupid.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There are about a 100 videos out there now about that, all referencing the same original article, which appeared on Bloomberg. Bloomberg has posted the same article about pretty much every vr launch, without citing accurate sources for the claims. Don't know why they have such a hate bias against VR, but what is more disturbing is how everyone has latched onto that one single article and now it has spread like wildfire everywhere about how PSVR2 is a "Failure". I guess that was probably their intention all along.

None of it makes any sense at all of course. Yes the headset is expensive, and is a luxury item. However, that price is like half of what an equivalent competing PCVR headset costs, and is an incredible deal for what you get. Also I have no idea why when discussing price, the point 'you also have to buy a PS5' comes into it. The ps5 is it's own console and plays it's own games, and doesn't exist solely to play PSVR2 games. Did they also forget you have to buy a $1000+ pc to use pcvr too? So stupid.
The guys I was watching were saying that only about 250000 units had been sold. They didn't quote the Bloomberg article. On the other hand, they didn't exactly say where their sales figure came from.

The part about people complaining that you have to buy a PS5 makes me scratch my head too. You have to buy a PC to get anywhere near the equivalent VR experience too, but no one seems bring that up as a problem when it c9mes to a VR headset.

They keep comparing it to the Oculus Quest and the fact that it is a.peripheral. A lot.of people figure the PSVR2 shouldn't cost more than Quest and should cost less than the console because it is a peripheral.

It is just the same old story with the console market. No matter how much power a console has or what tech console add-ons have, the products should never be more 300 to 400 dollars. It's bizarre.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
That video you saw was definitely citing the Bloomberg article. The Bloomberg article said VR2 sold 270k units in the first month. That's not great but it's also a niche product for a next-gen console that is new enough to still be the full launch price. Sony hasn't given a lot of info on what they expected to sell so we don't know if 270k is a good number or a disappointment.

The Oculus Quest isn't actually a peripheral, it's a self-contained low-res VR system. It trades power for portability and simplicity, which is cool for getting VR to be bought by more people (lower price and barrier to entry) but the quality of content hits the ceiling really fast. On the other end of the spectrum is PSVR2, which is super powerful and probably the highest quality consumer product you can buy...but it's so expensive that adoption is going to be really slow.

Whatever. I have a PSVR2, I enjoy it, there will be games made for it that I'll enjoy.

EDIT: The rumors before the VR2 launched were that Sony aimed to sell 2 million units in the first year, or something like that. If they're selling ~250-300k in the first month then I think they're kind of on target to hit 2M.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That video you saw was definitely citing the Bloomberg article. The Bloomberg article said VR2 sold 270k units in the first month. That's not great but it's also a niche product for a next-gen console that is new enough to still be the full launch price. Sony hasn't given a lot of info on what they expected to sell so we don't know if 270k is a good number or a disappointment.

The Oculus Quest isn't actually a peripheral, it's a self-contained low-res VR system. It trades power for portability and simplicity, which is cool for getting VR to be bought by more people (lower price and barrier to entry) but the quality of content hits the ceiling really fast. On the other end of the spectrum is PSVR2, which is super powerful and probably the highest quality consumer product you can buy...but it's so expensive that adoption is going to be really slow.

Whatever. I have a PSVR2, I enjoy it, there will be games made for it that I'll enjoy.

EDIT: The rumors before the VR2 launched were that Sony aimed to sell 2 million units in the first year, or something like that. If they're selling ~250-300k in the first month then I think they're kind of on target to hit 2M.
They may have been quoting Bloomberg, but they didn't properly attribute where the data came from.

I meant the PSVR2 is a peripheral, not the Oculus. Sorry, if it was not clear in the original comment.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
About the only thing I wish the thing had was PQ quality and colour that actually matched what PS5 content looks on a 4K set. Using GT7 as an example, the PQ is passable but really pales next to the flat version. I prefer playing that game in VR, but it socks having to give up the level of quality displayed on a 4K set.
The thing you have to realize is what you are expecting, logistically can never really happen. For a AAA game that's going for the best graphics possible, you have to assume that they are pushing the ps5 to what they're capable of programming for the flat version. Now when you have the same exact game in VR, suddenly it's in 3d so it now has to render twice the image data; one full screen for each eye. On top of having to render twice the data, it also has to ensure that it never drops in frame rate, targeting around 90hz at a minimum, so the VR doesn't give motion sickness.

So it's impossible to take a game that's already maxxed out, and up the frame rate and double the display processing, without compromising on image quality. That's just the way it is. Unless the base game is graphically simpler to begin with, the VR version can never look as good as the flat version.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I actually don't think the issue is going from a flat image to a VR/3D image. The PSVR2 is a huge leap over VR1 and other headsets, but you're still strapping a TV screen to your face which means all of the imperfections in the screen are magnified and shoved into your retinas. A really bright scene on a 4K HDR TV will look odd in a VR headset and there isn't much that can be done about that with current technology.

I often harp on the idea that anything past HD resolution for most TVs and applications is unnecessary (pixels are already smaller than the eye can see) but VR may be a really good example of where something like 8K would be a big improvement. Once the pixels are too small for your eyes to differentiate while still providing a clear image, the issue will go away.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
VR is the best reason for the existence of 8K. It will take 8K to make VR look like true 4K.

Wondering.what the.latest PSVR2 update accomplished. It looks like they may have worked on the foveated rendering to make the image look somewhat sharper over a larger area.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I recently bought a pair of HonsVR lens inserts so I don't have to wear glasses with my PSVR2. They work exactly as advertised and I'm very happy with them and they help a lot. Anyone else try something like these?

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I got ones for my Quest 2 a long time ago. I think they were from VROptician or something like that. Anyway they work great, but my prescription is so slight I barely need them. I use every other headset without them with no glasses just fine.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have astigmatism in both eyes (same amount, different axes) so I can get by without glasses at all but the inserts REALLY make a difference.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I know I won't buy another Sony peripheral again for any Playstation console. They always pull this shit when it comes to add-on peripherals.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think the lack of backward compatibility kind of killed it out of the gate. It's tough selling such an expensive add-on to an already-expensive system, even more when your old library of digital-only games can't go with it or you can't say at launch "look at all these great games you can play already for cheap."

Oh well, I have mine and I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks