What's new

VR discussion: Oculus Rift, Vive, Morpheus and more! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
So anyone get the PSVR2 yet? Have only spent about 90 minutes in it with Horizon and Kayak, but it looks absolutely amazing. Haptics in the controllers and headset are great. Actually feels like your paddle is hitting water in Kayak.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Got it yesterday. Spent a few minutes in Galaxy's Edge before Sense controllers needed to charge. Haven't gotten back into it yet due to lack of time.

I wear glasses and felt that the headset didn't feel as comfortable as VR1. Needed to tweak a lot for the sweet spot (lots of chromatic aberration outside of center of FOV) but didn't feel super comfortable with it once I thought I was there. But that was only with the PS menu. In the game, it looked pretty much flawless and worked excellent.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I got the headset this morning. I haven't had a chance to set it up yet. What is unbelievable is that Canada Post delivery left the thing in on my front step. This thing is insanely expensive in Canada when taxes are added and they left it on the doorstep. I only happened to see it because I glanced at the front door as I was getting ready to leave. If I hadn't seen it, it probably would have been gone by the time I came back.

Amazon started that stupid practice and everyone else has adopted it. If I had wanted the package left on my doorstep then I would have told them to leave it there.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I set it up yesterday. Connecting it and sett7ng it up was relatively painless and easy compared to the original helmet. The screen and resolution is vastly improved. I wish it had come with headphones instead of earbuds. I really dislike earbuds. They are uncomfortable and make my ears itch.

The other issue, I had was setting the play area for sitting. The area is set with you in the center. This makes it awkward to play MOSS, which supposedly can be done in all three play modes.

Playing with the play area set to sitting causes you to be plunked right in the middle of the game, making it extremely awkward to move the character behind you, as now you have to twist almost 180 degrees in your seat to see where you are going.

So far, I haven't run into the controller issue, but I have played only a bit of MOSS and the demo of Cosmonious High. That one annoyed me a bit by not giving you method in the game to NOT buy it at the end of the demo.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Playing with the play area set to sitting causes you to be plunked right in the middle of the game, making it extremely awkward to move the character behind you, as now you have to twist almost 180 degrees in your seat to see where you are going.
Seems like something very odd is going on there, did you try holding down the Options button to re-center yourself? If that doesn't work then it seems like a bug in the game. You should never have to turn around to see where you're going.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So anyone get the PSVR2 yet? Have only spent about 90 minutes in it with Horizon and Kayak, but it looks absolutely amazing. Haptics in the controllers and headset are great. Actually feels like your paddle is hitting water in Kayak.
Considering buying it (And the PS5). The first "must play" VR game for me and I'm in.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Seems like something very odd is going on there, did you try holding down the Options button to re-center yourself? If that doesn't work then it seems like a bug in the game. You should never have to turn around to see where you're going.
I tried re-centering. That seems to have worked for the most part. The "fence" that is set up for sitting appears to be restrictive in that I can reach outside the parameter fairly easily with the controllers. I have a coffee table in front of my chair, so maybe that Is throwing a wrench into things. At least I have been able to play the game fairly easily now.

I tried playing some "Far Cry 6" just to test it with a non-VR game. The image on the headset screen is nowhere near as sharp as when I'm playing it on my TV, so I find it hard.to believe that the headset is true 4K. It us still much better than the original.

I tried the Star Wars game in demo mode. It was okay, but I kept dropping the gun. For some reason, I did feel a little motion sick after awhile when playing it: felt mildly nauseous.

The two demos I have tried haven't made me want to buy them.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My arm is sore as hell from holding out the bow for the better part of a half hour practicing to win this.

Man, just be careful you don't give yourself a case of tennis elbow. I have learned that the hard way. I can't be absolutely sure, but I think I gave myself a case of it while playing Grand Turismo 7. It has been over a week and I have just now started feeling like I'm getting some range of motion back in my arm.

I have been popping painkillers for the last week trying to get enough relief to get to sleep. It's been miserable.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Finally got to play a bit of Horizon yesterday. It's great, but I ran into the issue with the right Sense controller. It was resolved by quitting the game (going to the main game menu) and re-loading my save. Took a bit of time to figure that out, though. So it looks like maybe it's an issue with the games or firmware or something and not the controller hardware?

I also played Moss Book II for a little bit. Yeah, the sitting mode play area is small and its really easy to hit the edges of it, plus the view being dead-center is a bit awkward. I immediately re-centered with the Options button and it was basically fixed, though. Also, if you reach your hands outside of the play area, the game doesn't stop, it just pops up the bars showing you're reaching outside of the play area and...let's you keep playing. Which is good!

As for the screen, it really is a 4K OLED screen, but it's split between each eye. Instead of seeing a full 4K image (which is really 2K tall by 4K wide), each eye is seeing 2K x 2K. The reason the screen might not seem as sharp as a real 4K TV is that it's simulating a screen at a particular distance away, which is going to look like it's lower than 4K because of sampling to generate the geometry correctly. You can also change the size of the virtual screen in the PSVR2 settings so that it's bigger or smaller, which may affect how good it looks to you.

Something else: the headset only displays at 120 Hz if your TV supports it. This is because it will display content on the TV and can't generate the image twice (one framerate for the headset, another for the TV). So if you're playing a game and it doesn't seem super smooth, go into the VR2 settings and adjust this.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Finally got to play a bit of Horizon yesterday. It's great, but I ran into the issue with the right Sense controller. It was resolved by quitting the game (going to the main game menu) and re-loading my save. Took a bit of time to figure that out, though. So it looks like maybe it's an issue with the games or firmware or something and not the controller hardware?

I also played Moss Book II for a little bit. Yeah, the sitting mode play area is small and its really easy to hit the edges of it, plus the view being dead-center is a bit awkward. I immediately re-centered with the Options button and it was basically fixed, though. Also, if you reach your hands outside of the play area, the game doesn't stop, it just pops up the bars showing you're reaching outside of the play area and...let's you keep playing. Which is good!

As for the screen, it really is a 4K OLED screen, but it's split between each eye. Instead of seeing a full 4K image (which is really 2K tall by 4K wide), each eye is seeing 2K x 2K. The reason the screen might not seem as sharp as a real 4K TV is that it's simulating a screen at a particular distance away, which is going to look like it's lower than 4K because of sampling to generate the geometry correctly. You can also change the size of the virtual screen in the PSVR2 settings so that it's bigger or smaller, which may affect how good it looks to you.

Something else: the headset only displays at 120 Hz if your TV supports it. This is because it will display content on the TV and can't generate the image twice (one framerate for the headset, another for the TV). So if you're playing a game and it doesn't seem super smooth, go into the VR2 settings and adjust this.
Yep, I have a projector, so 120hz isn't an option. The 120hz setting in advanced settings lets you override this and from what I gather, it just disables the 'social screen' output completely if the tv is on. I just leave the projector off when using the vr, and the 120hz override is grayed out in that case.

The 'seated' setting boundaries are extremely small for some reason. When I was playing Kayak, it continuously showed the red circle around the controller, even though I wasn't extending that far away from center. You can turn boundary sensitivity to 'low' I guess to help some, but you shouldn't have to in my opinion. On my Quest 2 the seated boundary never does this unless I stretch basically as far as I can. A workaround I guess is to use the roomscale boundary and just draw it around where you are sitting so you don't hit the edges.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So, I have been playing a ton of Gran Turismo 7 with the PSVR2 and it has been pretty amazing. I have gotten more use out of the headset in the few weeks I've owned it than in all.of the years that I owned the PSVR1.

Frankly, using this headset on GT7 is the first time where I've actually been able to drive in one of these racing games without constantly crashing, spinning out or weaving all over the track from overcontolling. The added depth perception with the helmet really helps.create the feeling of actually driving. I've never been able to drive any of these video game cars using a manual transmission until now, with the helmet.

I still suck at it, blowing shifts or mistiming them, but I can actually use the function and I am slowly getting better at it.

Frankly, after using the helmet I would never bother playing any racing game or flight Sim without it.i even started looking at buying Fanatec GT pro package for the PS5. It comes with an 8nm wheel base, a wheel designed for GT7 and gas, clutch and load cell brake pedal.

The wheel can be used with PC and XBOX racing games with the appropriate Fanatec wheel sets, with all of the wheels that make being compatible with the base. The only thing really stopping me is the 1800 dollar Canadian price tag for what is considered an entry level Fanatec wheel set.

Other than that the only other thing I wish this.PSVR2 had was the clarity and colour pop of the game's graphics when played flat on a 4K set; however, the tradeoff for depth perception versus better resolved graphics is worth it.

I hope they can fix or minimize the reprojection issues the unit has. In actual racing, there isn't too much of an issue, but in VR replays the cars get double images which makes them even blurrier than usual. Either it is due to reprojection or the OLED cannot refresh fast enough or something.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
So, I have been playing a ton of Gran Turismo 7 with the PSVR2 and it has been pretty amazing. I have gotten more use out of the headset in the few weeks I've owned it than in all.of the years that I owned the PSVR1.

Frankly, using this headset on GT7 is the first time where I've actually been able to drive in one of these racing games without constantly crashing, spinning out or weaving all over the track from overcontolling. The added depth perception with the helmet really helps.create the feeling of actually driving. I've never been able to drive any of these video game cars using a manual transmission until now, with the helmet.

I still suck at it, blowing shifts or mistiming them, but I can actually use the function and I am slowly getting better at it.

Frankly, after using the helmet I would never bother playing any racing game or flight Sim without it.i even started looking at buying Fanatec GT pro package for the PS5. It comes with an 8nm wheel base, a wheel designed for GT7 and gas, clutch and load cell brake pedal.

The wheel can be used with PC and XBOX racing games with the appropriate Fanatec wheel sets, with all of the wheels that make being compatible with the base. The only thing really stopping me is the 1800 dollar Canadian price tag for what is considered an entry level Fanatec wheel set.

Other than that the only other thing I wish this.PSVR2 had was the clarity and colour pop of the game's graphics when played flat on a 4K set; however, the tradeoff for depth perception versus better resolved graphics is worth it.

I hope they can fix or minimize the reprojection issues the unit has. In actual racing, there isn't too much of an issue, but in VR replays the cars get double images which makes them even blurrier than usual. Either it is due to reprojection or the OLED cannot refresh fast enough or something.
I have that exact wheel and it is fantastic. The game becomes so easy and fun to play. Played it flat with that wheel, and only had the last 7 S tier licenses left for the platinum but eventually gave up because it was just too time consuming to play them over and over trying to get 0.5 seconds faster. Went back when the VR2 came out and nabbed all seven of them relatively quickly. Soooo much easier with the depth perception.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have that exact wheel and it is fantastic. The game becomes so easy and fun to play. Played it flat with that wheel, and only had the last 7 S tier licenses left for the platinum but eventually gave up because it was just too time consuming to play them over and over trying to get 0.5 seconds faster. Went back when the VR2 came out and nabbed all seven of them relatively quickly. Soooo much easier with the depth perception.
I've been reading conflicting opinions about it. A lot of guys think the GT pro wheel is kind of cheap, but other reviews have said it is laid out pretty well for GT7. A lot of other guys say the Logitech pro wheel is preferable, due more torque their proprietary force feedback.

I was thinking about the Fanatec, because it can also be used with PC and XBOX games with the appropriate wheel. I figured it would have some life in it if I wanted to try PC-based Sims.

What brand cockpit are you using? I was looking at those DOF Reality motion rigs because they are supposedly affordable compared to other 3 or 6 DOF rigs. They are still pretty pricey though.

Right now, the only thing holding me back on the Fanatec is the crazy price in Canadian dollars.

I have also read some pretty negative comments about Fanatec's customer service if a problem develops.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
The Fanatec wheel is capable of plenty of torque. I really think it's up to the game you are playing as far as that's concerned. GT7 provides realistic feedback I guess which is lighter than you might expect. Dirt 5 on the other had jerks the wheel so hard it's hard to keep a hold of it. My arms are sore after 15 minutes in that.

I just have a wheel/pedal stand, not a full cockpit. It's portable and I put it in front of my couch and works fine.

Fortunately I haven't had any issues with the wheel at all, so I haven't had to deal with customer service.

I've heard great things about Logitec as well, you probably can't go wrong with either, so it would just come down to how much you are comfortable spending on the thing.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Did you buy the CSL gas, clutch and load cell brake pedal from Fanatec as well or go with something else?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh. I should have also asked whether you bought the "booster" power supply to increase the torque to 8nm or just go with the base 5nm?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks