What's new

VR discussion: Oculus Rift, Vive, Morpheus and more! (2 Viewers)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Why own a PS5, Xbox Series X, and Nintendo Switch plus a year of PS+, GamePass, and Nintendo Switch Online when you could have just ONE Quest Pro?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Anybody looking at pre-ordering the PS VR2? I was contemplating it, but apparently Luxembourg is a more important market to SONY than Canada.

Price is pretty steep, though and I never used the PS VR1 much because the screen graphics were shit and the external camera made it almost useless. This second iteration looks vastly improved just by eliminating the external camera.

Although, it doesn't surprise me that VR has mostly been a dud as a mainstream consumer item. I mean, if people were whining about having to wear a pair of glasses to use 3D TV sets then why would anyone think a format requiring a bulky headset would be any more successful outside of a core group of tech geeks?

The Quest looked interesting, especially price-wise, but it had one big failing: it required a Facebook account to use it. That took it off my list for that alone.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I already preordered the PSVR2. I used my PSVR1 a good amount and thoroughly enjoyed it, with the handful of annoyances (the breakout box doesn't transfer HDR for the launch unit, the camera and extra cables need to be set up to use it, my PS3-era Move controllers are almost never charged) alleviated with the PSVR2 by design. My only hope is that they announce a bunch of patches for VR1 games to work on VR2.

And yeah, its expensive, but I can afford it or can just cancel the preorder before it comes out.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Game Stop is offering a pre-order for the PSVR2 in Canada. The VR system plus the voucher for Call of The Mountain but... damn.....820 Canadian Pesos before taxes. I can afford it, but that is a lot coinola for a unit with only 10 launch games, of which only two look of any interest.to me.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
The general consensus is that it is indeed a very expensive luxury toy, but for what you actually get for that price it is an extremely good deal.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm just surprised that for the price they are asking SONY didn't make sure there were more titles available at launch or, at the very least, backward compatibility with some PSVR softwares.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I believe there's a bunch of titles announced but the big launch exclusives were only 10-12 total. Could be wrong but I thought it was like in the 20-30 total range, including ports from Oculus like Star Wars stuff.

The issue with backward compatibility is that the games on PSVR1 used the camera and light balls/bar on controllers to track, which isn't easy to just cover up with some software magic apparently. But I hope Sony has some pipeline to allow VR devs to patch in PSVR2 support to old games. I have a good amount of PSVR1 stuff that I'd rather keep playable without keeping the headset and breakout box. This would make a wonderful Game Awards announcement.

Either way, you buy into a platform on the promise of the future and I'm totally content to beta test it for everyone.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
There's a very large amount of titles already announced for launch, and they're not done with announcements yet. Many PSVR1 titles have announced PSVR2 native versions.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So I took the plunge and pre-ordered this before I allowed myself to regain sanity. Right now at this date in time it is 920 Canadian monopoly bucks.

I just hope I won't regret it as I wasn't overly impressed with the first generation unit. It is just too bad that SONY will not allow.this helmet to be used with anything but the PS5. It is not like they would lose any market share by making the unit more accessible for use on other platforms.

Edit: I also wish they had made the PS5 and this unit 3D film compatible. The upgrade in screen resolution would have made full 1080p playback of 3D films possible.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be surprised if there are hacks to make the PSVR2 work on PC relatively quickly after release.

I'm surprised a bit by the lack of 3D movie support, but I'd guess its a decision driven by data on how many people used the feature on PSVR.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just think it is strange how fast SONY abandoned 3D support, considering they were the ones that originated it for the home. I mean, damn, they supported Betamax for years after the format essentially died.

Either way I think it is a loss since this new unit looks like it has a huge improvement in display quality. Guess it also depends on how comfortable the PSVR2 will be to wear. The first Gen wasn't all that comfortable for.long periods of wear, partly due to the weight.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Also, it will be interesting to see how long it takes someone to hack it for use on PCs; although, it would have been better if SONY had made it PC compatible from the get go. Cutting off a potential source of revenue by excluding a market just seems dumb to me, especially if someone is successful in hacking it for use on the PC.

Did someone manage to hack the PSVR for PC use?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The PSVR was usable on PC pretty fast, but I don't know if you could use it for full VR very easily. I think the camera peripheral had a special plug that only the PS4 could fit, so people needed to make an adapter or use a different camera. That said, I believe it had some accelerometers in the headset so there was some simple motion tracking built-in and it functioned easily as an external display.

The PSVR2 is just a single USB-C cable for the headset itself so its probably easy to hack. Sony probably didn't want to support PC because they don't make VR games for PC and their revenue is based primarily on software sales. They don't need to be pro-consumer if they're the top dog.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

New PSVR2 Launch Title Announced​

zombieland.jpg

Rebuilt from its original 2021 release for PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows and Oculus Quest, this version of Headshot Fever takes advantage of the power of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation VR2 with a wealth of improvements. These include a brand new cel-shaded art style, new character models, new animations, new lighting, ragdoll physics, new music, a completely re-designed progression system, a new game hub, a whole host of brand-new gameplay content, and exclusive PlayStation VR2 features.

Those exclusives include:

• Adaptive triggers: making every weapon feel different
    • Controller haptics: unique haptic feedback every time you fire a weapon
    • Headset rumble: feel the horde approaching in the headset
    • Eye-tracking: supports eye-tracking for foveated rendering
  • If that wasn’t enough, Headshot Fever Reloaded now includes a new story level, three new remix levels, new Gun Range challenges, new guns, new perks and new gun skins.

Zombieland: Headshot Fever Reloaded will be released for the PlayStation VR2 for $24.99. You can pre-order the game from the official PlayStation Store.

Source

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks