Viva Pedro: The Almodovar Collection on Jan. 30

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Haggai, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Haggai

Haggai Producer

This boxset release is the expected aftermath of the touring film series that 's been playing around the country:

2. Nick Shookla

Nick Shookla Agent

Ah, great news. I was worried a while back when Talk To Her and Bad Education were going out of print... Glad to see Matador finally making its R1 dvd debut as well.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I have no free will . . . [​IMG]

M.

4. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    Glorious! But will these titles be available separately? I already own all his films except MATADOR and LAW OF DESIRE. I'd love to have them, but not if I have to re-purchase all the other titles.

Does anyone know?

(Personally, I'm sick of the damned sets when the movies are not available on their own!!!)

5. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

I'd like to have LAW OF DESIRE and MATADOR seprately also. I already own TALK TO HER, WOMEN ON THE VERGE... and BAD EDUCATION. It sucks that I have to buy the whole set to get those 2 titles.

6. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Joshua
    I already own Talk to Her and Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, but I'll gladly give them to my sister-in-law (another Almodovar fan), just so I can own the two Almodovar films not previously available on R1--Matador has been on my wishlist for a long time! [​IMG]

7. Jean-Francois Masse

I wonder if there are french subtitles. I have no problem with subtitles in general but as a french, it's easier to read french than english. And what about the video quality ?

By the way, even if I'm a french canadian, I have no problem with english only covers. In fact I prefer it that way, for english movies.

Thanks.

8. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

All of the films have optional French subtitles, except for Bad Education. Picture quality is excellent.

9. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

How do the discs of WOMEN ON THE VERGE and LIVE FLESH compare to their previous MGM releases? Better, worse, or do they appear to be direct ports?

10. Lino Reno

Lino Reno Stunt Coordinator

11. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

It's a great set. I just kind of wish, though, that Columbia had held off till VOLVER's DVD release, to include that, too (as well as making it available singly).

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I should be receiving my set in the mail today. Ordered the set for a song last month after Bestprices mistakenly listed it for around $36 (and then I applied a $10 Google checkout bonus on it to drop the price down even more). I heard the packaging uses the overlaying DVD leafs.

13. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Lucky stiff! I got there too late, and they'd fixed the mistake.

M.

14. David (C)

David (C) Stunt Coordinator

Where’s “Tie me Up, Tie me Down”?

15. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Joshua

I don't know who owns the rights. I have the Anchor Bay disc from a years ago, but it's been out of print for awhile. Fox Lorber owns the DVD rights to two 80s Almodovar films: Dark Habits and What Did I Do to Deserve This.

16. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

TIE ME UP was a Miramax release.

17. LorenzoL

LorenzoL Second Unit

I wasn't able to find it online or in B&M stores in Canada so I got it from Amazon.com

This is a great set although it's a little disappointing that some of the movies have lost the extra features that were present in their previous releases. I also like the movie postcards included on the set.

Now, how about the other companies releasing the other Almodovar movies in Region 1.

18. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Miramax still controls TIE ME UP TIE ME DOWN and HIGH HEELS. I predict there will be some sort of issue of these when Sony announces their VOLVER release.

Since Sony splurged to acquire the rights to earlier Almodovar titles such as the MGM releases, MATADOR and LAW OF DESIRE, I would wager a few more dollars that they will eventually acquire the remaining Cinevista releases that Fox Lorber previously issued.