What's new

International Via Vision Entertainment announces new premium Blu-ray label IMPRINT (3 Viewers)

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I saw it when first broadcast and just about everyone complained about the final episode. It showed contempt for the viewers who, from the advance publicity, expected a conclusion but it was just self-indulgent style above plot.
I agree with this assessment. Rhe episode blew my 8 year old mind:

“For the first time in my life, here was something that never condescended to its audience, never compromised to make sure the slow folks could keep up. It's far from perfect, but The Prisoner was an early indication of what television could aspire to, combining the immediacy of film with the narrative expanse of a good novel. Its eccentricities were always surprising and yet somehow still familiar; strip away the trappings, and it's just this story about a guy who doesn't fit in wherever he goes. And for once, he's not the one who's screwed up.”

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Saying the 'public expected a conclusion' is a 2024 mindset projecting itself into the past. As for final episodes, it was 1968. Almost all shows back then didn't have a 'final wrap-up episode'. They just ... ended.

Which was appropriate because most didn't have an on-going story. It wasn't the style.
The public reaction to the finale is pretty much cult TV legend and even the episode previews tout the episode as the exciting finale to The Prisoner.

The previous episode, shot months earlier for this purpose, was meant to lead into the finale. The public was led to believe the series was going to have a climax instead of just reruns until it vanished.

Regardless, though, I don't think McGoohan had any idea how he was going to end it and he reportedly wrote the script for Fall Out, from start to finish, in 48 hours. When the series started, George Markstein was a main creative force and once he left, the series went from off-center spy allegory to fever dream as McGoohan took full control.

Whatever one thinks of it, the finale is what makes the series as famous as it is. Imagine if the episode was just a straightforward spy yarn. No. 6 meets No. 1, blows up the village and goes home. He finds out it's run by the "other side." Snore.

As it is, the events of the episode can be taken as an allegory, or maybe even the crashing sanity of No. 6 as he's finally broken. In any event, Fall Out is not meant to be taken literally, with the events left to interpretation. But it does seem like the Village went from being a place where some organization puts high risk government employees to a cult compound. Maybe that's what it always was.

It would have gone down easier if the series was always that abstract, but the public tuned in to a post Danger Man espionage adventure and watched it become something weird and then finally incomprehensible.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What’s the best domestic (U.S.) source for ordering Imprint if I’d like to get in on some Prisoner action? I missed the previous sets and wouldn’t mind owning this at a reasonable price.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit

Wayne Klein

Second Unit

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
This is tempting, but I already have both the US Blu-ray set from A&E and the UK Blu-ray set from Network. And there are enough other things to spend money on.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
This is tempting, but I already have both the US Blu-ray set from A&E and the UK Blu-ray set from Network. And there are enough other things to spend money on.
If you have it already, Imprint's releases - while amazing - are probably too pricey for what usually amounts to at least a triple dip if you're not a super fan or a completest. But if you don't have the long OOP A&E and Network sets and/or if you want a set that's mostly likely not region locked, this is a great choice. I have yet to be disappointed with one of their releases and they do try to pack in as many of the bonus features from previous sets as they can as well as new stuff. I'm just as excited for the HD Danger Man episodes as I am The Prisoner. Also their packaging has shelf appeal while still being shelf-friendly.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
The public reaction to the finale is pretty much cult TV legend and even the episode previews tout the episode as the exciting finale to The Prisoner.

The previous episode, shot months earlier for this purpose, was meant to lead into the finale. The public was led to believe the series was going to have a climax instead of just reruns until it vanished.

Regardless, though, I don't think McGoohan had any idea how he was going to end it and he reportedly wrote the script for Fall Out, from start to finish, in 48 hours. When the series started, George Markstein was a main creative force and once he left, the series went from off-center spy allegory to fever dream as McGoohan took full control.

Whatever one thinks of it, the finale is what makes the series as famous as it is. Imagine if the episode was just a straightforward spy yarn. No. 6 meets No. 1, blows up the village and goes home. He finds out it's run by the "other side." Snore.

As it is, the events of the episode can be taken as an allegory, or maybe even the crashing sanity of No. 6 as he's finally broken. In any event, Fall Out is not meant to be taken literally, with the events left to interpretation. But it does seem like the Village went from being a place where some organization puts high risk government employees to a cult compound. Maybe that's what it always was.

It would have gone down easier if the series was always that abstract, but the public tuned in to a post Danger Man espionage adventure and watched it become something weird and then finally incomprehensible.

I think it was always meant to be that because it had all the hallmarks of a cult. The show was about personal freedom. I agree that the public tuned in thinking that the series would be less surreal than it was but they also didn’t expect Danger Man because it Was a departure from that series. I didn’t find the ending incomprehensible and I was 8 when I saw it. It seemed quite clear that he could never escape and that he was still a prisoner just in a bigger version of the Village. In hindsight as I’ve gotten older it also makes sense that the reveal about number One was predicted from the very first episode. It also suggested that, the crushing bureaucracy aside, he himself was a prisoner because of his own choices. It’s far more complex than it being “run by the other side” and the narrative conclusion also suggests that this is noth8ng more than another experiment on No. 6 like “The Chines of Big Ben”.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit

To be fair, it was unusual for a series to have an ending at that time. The only series that did within that time frame was "The Fugitive". McGoohan could have easily written and shot the final episode of the series if he had chosen to do so. He felt that the narrative deserved an ending.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
If you have it already, Imprint's releases - while amazing - are probably too pricey for what usually amounts to at least a triple dip if you're not a super fan or a completest. But if you don't have the long OOP A&E and Network sets and/or if you want a set that's mostly likely not region locked, this is a great choice. I have yet to be disappointed with one of their releases and they do try to pack in as many of the bonus features from previous sets as they can as well as new stuff. I'm just as excited for the HD Danger Man episodes as I am The Prisoner. Also their packaging has shelf appeal while still being shelf-friendly.
Agreed. The extra disc with Danger Man episodes and the three new interviews just isn't enough additional content (even with the book running 120 pages) to justify it (at least for me) to buy again. I'd prefer to see an HD release of Danger Man at this stage but I can understand why Imprint is doing this; it comes down to the popularity of the series and how well it has continued to sell on Blu-ray and DVD over time. It'll make money and it is truly for the collector.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
To be fair, it was unusual for a series to have an ending at that time. The only series that did within that time frame was "The Fugitive". McGoohan could have easily written and shot the final episode of the series if he had chosen to do so. He felt that the narrative deserved an ending.
Route 66 had an actual finale, also. A two parter. Tod got married and Linc went his own way. But sure, it was certainly uncommon. An ITC series typically was made to run in any order after the premiere, which is usually why characters didn't grow. The Prisoner, was very much atypical. Unlike Danger Man, The Saint, The Champions and all that, The Prisoner was presented as a quest show with mysteries. Will No. 6 escape? Why did he resign? Who runs the village? Who is Number 1? These weren't just format questions to fuel random weekly adventures. The implication was that at some point, view would be given answers. But instead of he usual straightforward story they were probably expecting, Fall Out was oblique. Sure, there were answers: Number 6 escapes. He is Number 1. He resigned, we learned earlier, for piece of mind. But he presented those in an episode that was weird at best.

I think it was always meant to be that because it had all the hallmarks of a cult. The show was about personal freedom. I agree that the public tuned in thinking that the series would be less surreal than it was but they also didn’t expect Danger Man because it Was a departure from that series. I didn’t find the ending incomprehensible and I was 8 when I saw it. It seemed quite clear that he could never escape and that he was still a prisoner just in a bigger version of the Village. In hindsight as I’ve gotten older it also makes sense that the reveal about number One was predicted from the very first episode. It also suggested that, the crushing bureaucracy aside, he himself was a prisoner because of his own choices. It’s far more complex than it being “run by the other side” and the narrative conclusion also suggests that this is noth8ng more than another experiment on No. 6 like “The Chines of Big Ben”.
What was incomprehensible was: who are these oddballs chanting in a cave and singing "Dry Bones?" Why does The Village have massive rockets for evacuation? You can't tale "Number 6 is Number 1" at face value, it has to be a metaphor. In 1968, people weren't looking for metaphors. They wanted Blofeld. So yeah, to a great many people, the episode is incomprehensible because it's not meant to be taken like a straight drama. But people didn't want that. Even now, how you interpret the episode is gonna differ from others. Which was the point, but again, that's not what Mr. and Mrs. 1968 was used to.

Yet, that's what makes the show what it is today. It's not a straight drama. Even when it was a more straight espionage adventure, it was still weird, in the best sense. It was always a strange show.

Agreed. The extra disc with Danger Man episodes and the three new interviews just isn't enough additional content (even with the book running 120 pages) to justify it (at least for me) to buy again. I'd prefer to see an HD release of Danger Man at this stage but I can understand why Imprint is doing this; it comes down to the popularity of the series and how well it has continued to sell on Blu-ray and DVD over time. It'll make money and it is truly for the collector.
My A&E Blu Rays got damaged a few years ago, but I didn't want to pay a premium to replace or get a Region B set, so this worked out well! Good timing Imprint.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I’ve been disappointed by some Imprint releases. Secret of the Incas was unwatchable (literally—I stopped watching). Their packaging is fantastic, but I’ve read that they don’t any work on what they get from the studios, and sometimes their discs come from old masters. In this case, though, I assume the set will look as good as A&E’s ancient set, which looked pretty darn good.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Even when it was a more straight espionage adventure, it was still weird, in the best sense. It was always a strange show.

100% - if you’re watching a show where a giant white balloon enforces discipline and you’re a viewer that’s then completely shocked that it had a finale that wasn’t straightforward, I feel that’s a little on the viewer for not accepting what the show has been saying it was from the start.

In hindsight I think this show would have actually worked better with fewer episodes and everything I’ve read about it over the years suggests that McGoohan also wanted a more limited run but was contractually obligated to deliver more episodes. I think that padding out to 17 episodes has the counterproductive effect of luring viewers into expecting something more episodic and straightforward than what they were actually doing.

Thanks for the tip on ordering from Imprint - I didn’t realize they shipped to the US, I might have mixed them up with another label that doesn’t. The shipping cost was high but they had the remake of The Prisoner available inexpensively and it didn’t add to the shipping cost, so getting both together made it worthwhile. I don’t think the remake is nearly as good as the original but I also know that once I finish the original, I’ll be curious to see it again, so might as well be prepared.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Route 66 had an actual finale, also. A two parter. Tod got married and Linc went his own way. But sure, it was certainly uncommon. An ITC series typically was made to run in any order after the premiere, which is usually why characters didn't grow. The Prisoner, was very much atypical. Unlike Danger Man, The Saint, The Champions and all that, The Prisoner was presented as a quest show with mysteries. Will No. 6 escape? Why did he resign? Who runs the village? Who is Number 1? These weren't just format questions to fuel random weekly adventures. The implication was that at some point, view would be given answers. But instead of he usual straightforward story they were probably expecting, Fall Out was oblique. Sure, there were answers: Number 6 escapes. He is Number 1. He resigned, we learned earlier, for piece of mind. But he presented those in an episode that was weird at best.

What was incomprehensible was: who are these oddballs chanting in a cave and singing "Dry Bones?" Why does The Village have massive rockets for evacuation? You can't tale "Number 6 is Number 1" at face value, it has to be a metaphor. In 1968, people weren't looking for metaphors. They wanted Blofeld. So yeah, to a great many people, the episode is incomprehensible because it's not meant to be taken like a straight drama. But people didn't want that. Even now, how you interpret the episode is gonna differ from others. Which was the point, but again, that's not what Mr. and Mrs. 1968 was used to.

Yet, that's what makes the show what it is today. It's not a straight drama. Even when it was a more straight espionage adventure, it was still weird, in the best sense. It was always a strange show.

My A&E Blu Rays got damaged a few years ago, but I didn't want to pay a premium to replace or get a Region B set, so this worked out well! Good timing Imprint.
Agreed that they wanted a conventional ending.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks