What's new

VCR & Redundant Connections? (1 Viewer)

RayD

Auditioning
How come I see VCR instructions with setups like this:

Antenna's coaxial line runs to VCR's Ant Input.
VCR's Ant Output coaxial to TV's Ant Input.
VCR's Composite Output to TV's Composite Input.

What are the compsite connections for? It seems to record/play fine without it, even if I record one channel and watch another.

Does this provide better PQ quality or something?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I use the composite cables. But I go out to HT receiver(with audio), and to tv, with video only. That way I get Pro Logic surround, when and if, I watch a tape. Also, when I get a PPV movie off satellite, I record it. Do you have HT setup?

Robt_Moore

Stunt Coordinator
You have two different signals that are using the cables on your VCR: a "broadband" signal, and a video signal. The broadband signal carries the signal for all your TV channels, both audio and video, that is then "tuned" or "decoded", so to speak, at the TV or VCR into the video signal and audio signal for the specific channel you have selected. That is why you have the coax connection from the VCR to the TV (you wouldn't be able to watch one show and record another without this connection).

The composite cable is used to convey the video signal for the specific channel--the "tuned" or "decoded" video signal. This signal bypasses the TV's tuner and is passed to the CRT. If you use a coax connection to pass the "tuned" channel information on to the TV, you are degrading both the audio and the video. The coax is only passing on about 1/2 of the video signal, and only mono sound.

If you use your VCR as the TV tuner, make sure you watch the composite signal, and you have the stereo audio cables hooked to your receiver.

I'm sure someone with the exact specs of Coax will chime in since I can't remember the numbers.

Bob

RayD

Auditioning
Yeah I have an HT setup with a receiver, vcr, hdtv, hdtv receiver and dvd player plus 3 consoles, so things are getting really confusing.

For some reason right now I have:
Antenna's coaxial line runs to VCR's Ant Input.
VCR's Ant Output coaxial to TV's Ant Input.
And then also have 2 sets of composites running from the input and output of my TV to my receiver's video 1 in/out.

I must have seen this in one of my manuals because I run no other video cables through my receiver except for this. I just want to set it up so I have the best quality and I think I don't have it correctly connected this way for that.

Is it better to run the coaxial through the vcr or tv first?

How do you know you are using the composite connection over the coaxial if both are connected?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks