What's new

Vandersteen 2Ces Vs. ??? For Home Theater (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Hernan Hernandez
LOL. My computer froze as I was sending a reply and I (it) wound up posting the same reply four times and so, now everyone can see that I am actually losing it :)

Real Name
Hernan Hernandez
Kevin,

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering why no one had mentioned DefTech yet and I was about to ask about it myself. They sent me a very glossy package of very possitive reviews which got my attention.

Has anybody out there had a good experience with them?... or a bad one? And can anybody compare them to some of the other speakers mentioned here?

I'll certainly look into them. Thanks for the suggestion.

H

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator

So you know what they say about opinions, they are like...never mind.

I have owned quite a few speakers in my life. From JBL's and Pioneers in the early 60's, to Infinitys in the 90's (Overture series as well as RS series) to Wharfdale to Dunlavy to Triangle and then some. I picked up a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce's last month to play around with and I have to say that I have seldom heard a finer speaker than my Vandersteen 2Ce's. I wouldn't give them up for anything. Believe it or not, I have them paired with a Triangle Nabis 222 center channel and the match is outstanding. For music they are stunning and for HT they are almost holographic. If I were you I would build around those Vandy 2CE's but that's just my opinion. I use a Denon 3806 as a preprocssor and a Sherbourn amp and the match is great.

Real Name
Hernan Hernandez
Albert,

Thank you very much for your input. It would seem that the idea of building a system around the Vandersteen 2Ces is -- by far -- the most popular advice here. I must admit, part of my original desire for "upgrading" is just because I have had these babies for 12+ years and I was hungry for "something new." Besides, shouldn't have 12 years resulted in technological improvements that would have displaced the Vandersteen's reign? Aparantly not!

I have recently reglued the Vandersteen's woofers (and yes, the Vandersteen 2Ce woofers are known to come unglued over time, so check yours if you hear any unplesant sounds from very low bass). I also made repairs to the wooden "bridges" that brace the tweeter section to the top panel of the speaker (in both of my 2Ces, these wooden "bridges" had CRACKED). Finally, I set them up correctly again as per the manual and my ears (they had drifted out of optimal placement over time). And the result??? I am in love with them again.

There may very well be another sub-$2,000 speaker or two out there that is as good or better than the Vandersteen 2Ces, but given how2 good they sound (after my repairs and repositioning), how happy I am with that sound, and the overwhelming recommendations on this and other boards... I will definitely be keeping them a while longer.

And so... now on to find an appropriate center channel, subwoofer and surrounds. Recommendations on these items is still appreciated.

By the way, I have been using the Vandersteen 2ce's with a "PHANTOM CENTER CHANNEL" and they sound superb that way. Much better than with the Wharfedale Moviestar 70+ center channel I had been using. This suggestion was also made by a fellow forum reader. So thanks to you all and keep the good advice flowing.

H

Real Name
Hernan Hernandez
Thank you Alan & Albert! :)

As I mentioned earlier, the "phantom channel" presentation thrown by the Vandersteen 2Ces is terrific and the sound is better than was the sound using my budget (but surprisingly competent and good) Wharfedale Moviestar 70+ center channel speaker. Being an old hand at stereo reproduction, and an "ear witness" to the near-holographic stereo image presented by the 2Ces (and a handful of other speakers), I should have thought to try the "phantom speaker" idea a long ago! Alas, my home-theater newbieness blinded me as to this possibility. Instead, I followed the herd and continued to use the Wharfedale center channel to detriment of my home theater sound. It took the suggestion of a member at another forum to motivate me to try the "phantom center channel" idea, and so I tried it and....

Surprise, surprise! The center channel image thrown by the great and legendary 2Ces, well known for their imaging, is better than the center image presented by a mismatched, outclassed, low-budget center channel speaker. Who woulda thunk??? I will be kicking myself for a long time for the almost two years wasted on inferior sound when a better solution was already available to me... at absolutely no additional cost! Doh!

OKAY, so now this is my question....Now that I know that using a "phantom center channel" with the 2Ces is better than using an inferior center channel speaker -- IS THERE ANY REAL BENEFIT TO BE GAINED BY PAIRING MY 2CEs WITH A GOOD CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER??? ESPECIALLY GIVEN MY SMALL (11'x17'x8') LISTENING ROOM?

Albert (above) recommends that I consider the Triangle Nabis 222 center channel speaker (as used in his system). Others have recommended Vandersteen's own center channel speakers (either of the two models available). Would these solutions provide a REAL benefit over simply using the 2Ces "phantom center channel"?

Being an old audiophile, I wasn't sure that I could learn anything of value through these forums. I have, and I thank you all for the good advice. Keep the good advice flowing folks!

H

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Hernan:

I'm a big believer that once you get to a certain level of quality in your speakers - and your Vandys are clearly beyond that level - a phantom center is as good or better than having another speaker. Now that's just my opinion; others feel differently. I think the only practical advantage to a center speaker is for those sitting off-axis who may prefer to have the dialogue sort of "anchored" to the image as opposed to hearing the nearer speaker emphasized. There are also theoretical advantages that have technical explanations as to why a separate speaker is better, but for me they never translate into practicality.

That being said, most people will agree that the IDEAL would be three identical speakers across the front. If that were feasible for me -economically and spatially - I'd definitely consider that. Beyond that, I consider either a horizontal speaker or a speaker from another brand a compromise that I can't justify.

Now I fully admit that while I spend more time watching movies, I'm a borderline 2-channel guy. My 2-channel quality is much more important to me than surround sound is. So that has a little something to do with my views of a phantom center. Other people who are more about having higher quality multi-channel set-ups tend to see things differently, and hopefully they'll chime in with some opposing viewpoints.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator

I Actually didn't recommend you buy that Triangle center. I just happened to have it so I tried it and the match is outstanding. That center channel was discontinued long ago. Systems with two front speakers in the soundstage, as opposed to three, can rival those with three, for movies, but with SACD and 5 channel music, I believe, having all three speakers in the front soundstage can be advantageous.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Hernan,

There is a better sub-$2K speaker on the market than your Model 2Ce, it's the Vandersteen Model 2Ce Signature. ;) But you better hurry, the price just went up, from $1,550/pair to $1,680/pair. :D

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator

Now there's a thought. Move your 2Ce's to the rear, buy two new sig's for the front, add the sub, and your good to go at or under your budget!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I agree with Albert and Dan.....that will allow you to keep the Vandersteen sound that you love, but also satisfy what appears to be your desire to get some newer speakers since your current ones are 12 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks