What's new

USHE Press Release: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1 Viewer)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Interestingly this story is all over the internet since the BR release was announced, and one article specifically addresses the issue of maturity levels of fan reactions.
Check out this other man's take on "Steven and the Hateboys."
http://acertainpointofview.net/?p=1392
The followup comments are interesting, too, and remarkably civilized.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
In my opinion that article is a bunch of malarky. True, Spielberg and Lucas have very different ideals, but they are essentially doing exactly the same thing: suppressing a version that they no longer support. I don't agree with his assessment of why Spielberg flipped. I don't think it was because of fan pressure, but rather because of his growing involvement in film preservation. He will probably eventually allow the 2002 version to be released on Blu-ray. I doubt the same can be said for George and the original trilogy.
NY2LA said:
Interestingly this story is all over the internet since the BR release was announced, and one article specifically addresses the issue of maturity levels of fan reactions.
Check out this other man's take on "Steven and the Hateboys."
The followup comments are interesting, too, and remarkably civilized.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark-P said:
In my opinion that article is a bunch of malarky. True, Spielberg and Lucas have very different ideals, but they are essentially doing exactly the same thing: suppressing a version that they no longer support. I don't agree with his assessment of why Spielberg flipped. I don't think it was because of fan pressure, but rather because of his growing involvement in film preservation. He will probably eventually allow the 2002 version to be released on Blu-ray. I doubt the same can be said for George and the original trilogy.
Preservation my ass. If the real issue were preservation, then you preserve BOTH versions, not just the one you happen to like or the one people scream loudest about. Where are the folks bitching and moaning about the new version of that Star Trek Movie? (STTMP) By the fanboy argument, shouldn't THAT be buried and burned because it's not the original that was first released that everyone grew up with blahblahblah? Plenty of young people saw ET for the first time in 02, yet the fanatics argue that those folks shouldn't get to keep that version even as they are still getting theirs. I'm not even convinced that the loud group is the majority of the movie's audience.
If one is going to be an artist, one can say "this is MY vision, take it or leave it." If one is marketing a product, one often bows to pressure. If one were smart, they would offer both in equal quality and let everyone have their own choice. So I think Lucas and Spielberg are both erring in the wrong direction, one giving too much power to vocal fans, the other not enough. Spielberg has proven that he does allow himself to be influenced by a vocal disapproval, both in creating the 02 version and then in adding the 82 version to the DVD release at the last moment. So it's easy to see he is giving in again now.
I think this pretty much sums it up:
"A New Hope says:
06/05/2012 at 7:15 AM
That’s the thing. Hateboys aren’t against changing films. Hell, the biggest complainers over on OriginalTrilogy.com are the same jackholes who turn around and post their own fan edits. It’s all about making changes they APPROVE of. Which is why their arguments about “preservation” quickly fall apart. In the case of ‘E.T.’, they’ve always had access to a high quality version of the 1982 release and they STILL wanted [the 02 version] erased from history. So it boils down to the hateboys attempting to overrule the filmmakers to decide which changes are acceptable and which are not. The Internet gives them a weapon. That’s what’s going on here."
Personally I'm ambivalent about Star Wars. I'm not interested enough to care or even notice the new stuff in SW - but even I would be more likely to buy a package with both SW versions because it gives an extra choice. CE3K has 3 versions on the same disc, that's why I bought the DVD as I was on the fence about it otherwise.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm not going to say, as the blog in the link does, that Spielberg has no artistic integrity. I also have t wonder just how much Spielberg cares about what the "hate boys" write. He had to know including or omitting the 2002 version would make some people unhappy. Maybe he just did what he wanted to do. But then...
The cynic in me that thinks this is just a way to get us to buy the product today...and buy it again tomorrow when the 2002 versions is included. I can hear the interview responses now: "We had no idea so many of the fans wanted that version. That's why we're re-releasing ET on blu-ray with the 2002 version. If we only had known."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Since it's Spielberg's 'art', the only opinion that should matter is his own. I hope it was as simple as he thought about the SE and decided that he didn't want it to be available anymore rather than worrying that the internet would say that he raped their childhood.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Not sure I like someone calling me and my fellow OT.com members "jackholes". ;)
I personally have no problem with the 2002 version being available. How else would anybody get the jokes in the "Free Hat" episode of South Park without it?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/321107/ushe-press-release-e-t-the-extra-terrestrial/120#post_3934854
If the real issue were preservation, then you preserve BOTH versions, not just the one you happen to like or the one people scream loudest about. Where are the folks bitching and moaning about the new version of that Star Trek Movie?

Point of order. Check out the ST movies on BD thread on the HTF. There are plenty of people who were disappointed in which cuts of ST I, II and VI were present on the BD's two years ago. Personally, I liked what we got since they were the original versions...but I will pick up the director's cuts when and if they are available.

So...which ST movie are you referencing, exactly? The Motion Picture, which was released as Robert Wise director's cut with the new/finished effects? The TV versions of ST II? The director's cut of ST VI?

However, the conversation in the Trek thread tends to be much more...civilized.

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Is the 2002 version really being erased? I hadn't heard that, only that it wasn't being included now. Remember the first dvd of Close Encounters only had the director's cut, it wasn't until the 30th anniv. you could get all 3. Lord of the Rings did the separate versions thing, the Treks will all get their multiple versions eventually. Isn't this just basic home video?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
AlexCosmo said:
Is the 2002 version really being erased? I hadn't heard that, only that it wasn't being included now. Remember the first dvd of Close Encounters only had the director's cut, it wasn't until the 30th anniv. you could get all 3. Lord of the Rings did the separate versions thing, the Treks will all get their multiple versions eventually. Isn't this just basic home video?
When I previously suggested that there would be another edition down the line, I was debated by people who seemed to think it was unlikely. And then there were the hater/fanboys who insisted it would never be seen again and shouldn't be seen again...
Still, when there is plenty of evidence that Spielberg has bowed to vocal bitching before, it's pretty clear what's happening now, and there is proof all over the net that it wasn't enough for the hateboy/fanboys to get the edition they wanted, they wouldn't be happy until ET02 was buried, which is why they're gleefully claiming victory about it not being released on Blu.
If you read more than just that blog, but also the reader responses, the issue is made pretty clear by the civilized dialogue that follows it.
I wouldn't go so far as to call Spielberg a coward, but it is really obvious he has given in to the pressure just to get the haters off his back... Putting out both should have been enough for the fanboys but we all see it wasn't and as the blogger says that speaks volumes.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
SilverWook said:
It's not being erased. It's hyperbole from people with an axe to grind.
aah, that statement "hyperbole from people with an axe to grind."perfectly describes the hater/fanboy reaction to ET02 even after they got what they wanted ten years ago when both versions were given equal quality treatment - heck, the 82 disc even had its own supplements!

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jason_V said:
Point of order.  Check out the ST movies on BD thread on the HTF.  There are plenty of people who were disappointed in which cuts of ST I, II and VI were present on the BD's two years ago.  Personally, I liked what we got since they were the original versions...but I will pick up the director's cuts when and if they are available.
So...which ST movie are you referencing, exactly?  The Motion Picture, which was released as Robert Wise director's cut with the new/finished effects?  The TV versions of ST II?  The director's cut of ST VI? 
However, the conversation in the Trek thread tends to be much more...civilized.
"A New Hope says:
06/05/2012 at 10:26 AM
No one whines about “Beauty and the Beast” and “Lion King” because hateboys don’t care about those movies those aren’t geek movies. They don’t feel ownership or a sense of entitlement about them. And bottom line, it’s all about their wants and demands. Consider “Star Trek: The Motion Picture.” Its ONLY release on DVD was the 2001 “Director’s Cut” and the original cut was ignored. There was no hateboy uproar because they LIKED the new version better (and because the clown posse of “treksperts” that routinely attend conventions had mobilized the hateboy media complex to support it). So, even though the original cut of ST: TMP was “lost” to history — and history MUST BE PRESERVED, DAMN IT — they uttered not a word. There’s far more demand now for the Directors Cut to be on Blu-Ray since only the theatrical cut is available in the format. In other words, they WANT the Star Trek Special Edition and who gives a fuck about the original. So that should answer your question: “Which kinda makes me wonder why the hateboys were still complaining even though they got the ORIGINAL theatrical version of E.T. (the one they have fond memories of).” It’s because their complaints had nothing to do with availability or history or memories. It’s all about getting their way. Period."

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
TravisR said:
Since it's Spielberg's 'art', the only opinion that should matter is his own. I hope it was as simple as he thought about the SE and decided that he didn't want it to be available anymore rather than worrying that the internet would say that he raped their childhood.
The trouble with Art vs. Commerce is if you want to SELL your art, more often than not, you compromise. He doesn't really have to, but he has...
It's been said that there was disapproval from parents in 82 about aiming guns at kids, he admits taking it even more to heart after becoming a parent himself. So it's pretty clear the walkie shot was a reaction to that. Back when the 02 version was due on DVD by itself, after all the outcry, he blinked at the last minute and included the original as well... Now instead of making both versions available on Blu, after all the outcry he makes a point of ONLY releasing the first one... it walks like a duck.
He has said outright he has been overly sensitive to vocal opposition in the past... He has publicly second-guessed himself and practically apologized for the very existence of ET02 - making a point of announcing the 82 only BR to an assemblage of what was likely the most rabid opinionated fans, just to get the inevitable reaction... It talks like a duck. I'd say that's pretty ducked up.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
SilverWook said:
Not sure I like someone calling me and my fellow OT.com members "jackholes". ;)
I personally have no problem with the 2002 version being available. How else would anybody get the jokes in the "Free Hat" episode of South Park without it?
I believe jackhole is an amalgam of jackass and asshole, right? Have you been arguing against the SWSEs while posting your own edits, too? You don't sound as rabid as fanboys can get, so he probably didn't mean you...
I would be interested in your posting a more detailed description of the "free hat" SP ep here as it seems related to the topic and you've got me curious...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
NY2LA said:
The trouble with Art vs. Commerce is if you want to SELL your art, more often than not, you compromise.
Much like Star Wars (which had a way bigger negative reaction to its exclusions), whatever version of E.T. you put out, it's still going to sell because most people don't care in the least. As I've said, I wish the SE was on there for the sake of completeness but if Spielberg wanted it on there, it'd be there.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
NY2LA said:
I believe jackhole is an amalgam of jackass and asshole, right? Have you been arguing against the SWSEs while posting your own edits, too? You don't sound as rabid as fanboys can get, so he probably didn't mean you...
I would be interested in your posting a more detailed description of the "free hat" SP ep here as it seems related to the topic and you've got me curious...
I have no problem with the SE's existence. (All three incarnations of them to date.) It's the lack of the originals on Blu Ray I lament. I don't do fan edits myself, but I fail to see how making one suddenly invalidates advocating film preservation and access.
E.T. hasn't even been discussed around OT.com that much recently.
As for Free Hat...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Hat
http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2003/10/21/149.aspx
You can also watch it online.
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s06e09-free-hat

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
NY2LA said:
"A New Hope says:
06/05/2012 at 10:26 AM
No one whines about “Beauty and the Beast” and “Lion King” because hateboys don’t care about those movies those aren’t geek movies. They don’t feel ownership or a sense of entitlement about them. And bottom line, it’s all about their wants and demands. Consider “Star Trek: The Motion Picture.” Its ONLY release on DVD was the 2001 “Director’s Cut” and the original cut was ignored. There was no hateboy uproar because they LIKED the new version better (and because the clown posse of “treksperts” that routinely attend conventions had mobilized the hateboy media complex to support it). So, even though the original cut of ST: TMP was “lost” to history — and history MUST BE PRESERVED, DAMN IT — they uttered not a word. There’s far more demand now for the Directors Cut to be on Blu-Ray since only the theatrical cut is available in the format. In other words, they WANT the Star Trek Special Edition and who gives a fuck about the original. So that should answer your question: “Which kinda makes me wonder why the hateboys were still complaining even though they got the ORIGINAL theatrical version of E.T. (the one they have fond memories of).” It’s because their complaints had nothing to do with availability or history or memories. It’s all about getting their way. Period."
The reaction to TMP was more muted. I know I wasn't alone in expressing a desire for the original theatrical, or even the "special longer version" originally prepared for it's initial television broadcast on ABC. (Paramount cleverly marketed that cut on home video later on.) I'd wager most people had only ever seen the longer version before DVD. Someone did reconstruct the theatrical some time back before the Blu Ray release. How many people are both Star Wars and Trek fans I have no idea.
Some Disney fans do complain about changes to the animated classics. ( We certainly had a lively discussion about the narrator's voice in Fantasia being replaced around here.) Makes thinning out my Laserdisc collection that much harder these days.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
NY2LA said:
The trouble with Art vs. Commerce is if you want to SELL your art, more often than not, you compromise. He doesn't really have to, but he has...
It's been said that there was disapproval from parents in 82 about aiming guns at kids, he admits taking it even more to heart after becoming a parent himself. So it's pretty clear the walkie shot was a reaction to that. Back when the 02 version was due on DVD by itself, after all the outcry, he blinked at the last minute and included the original as well... Now instead of making both versions available on Blu, after all the outcry he makes a point of ONLY releasing the first one... it walks like a duck.
He has said outright he has been overly sensitive to vocal opposition in the past... He has publicly second-guessed himself and practically apologized for the very existence of ET02 - making a point of announcing the 82 only BR to an assemblage of what was likely the most rabid opinionated fans, just to get the inevitable reaction... It talks like a duck. I'd say that's pretty ducked up.
No, there was no disapproval about anything in ET on its original release. Any disapproval, whatever that means, came much later when the world turned into an obnoxious, oversensitive PC place.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Re Star Trek TMP - For a long time, the theatrical cut was all that was available. After the longer cut was shown on TV with all the deleted material (including an unfortunately incomplete VFX shot and material that simply didn't make any sense), there was an undercurrent of interest - just as there had been about the longer TV cut of Superman The Movie. By the early 90s, Paramount made a laserdisc available of the TV cut. In the mid-90s, as the widescreen VHS craze happened, Paramount made two VHS tapes of TMP available. One was a widescreen tape of the theatrical cut, and the other was a pan&scan tape of the TV cut. The laserdisc box sets, as I recall, only had the theatrical cut in them.

TMP was the last of the TOS Trek movies to make it to DVD, and it was only presented in the Director's Edition. Following that, all the other 2-disc editions came out.

When the Blu-rays came out, we only got the theatrical cuts - although there's a single shot on the TMP Blu-ray that stems from the DE - it's a specific bit about whether the warp glow is on the deflector dish in an exterior where the ship is trapped inside Vejur.

And now back to your regular E.T. discussion. And on that note, I went to Amoeba Records in Hollywood yesterday and repurchased the E.T. laserdisc set with the documentary and the deleted scenes. I intend to go through all the material and then compare that to what I find on the Blu-ray for the review. Remember, I'm only doing that for the review itself. No personal enjoyment whatsoever will occur. Really. Promise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks