What's new

USHE Press Release: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1 Viewer)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ethan Riley said:
Well then don't buy it. Who cares? It's the tiredest argument on this forum and is borderline trolling. Just pack up and move on if you don't want it. I don't want it either, only because they need a bare-bones edition because I'm not shelling out for ultraviolet and digital copies. I only need the blu-ray folks, not all that other trash!
Urban Dictionary: troll
One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.
Sorry, no. Missing something that was available in a previous edition of a product, or stating you don't want to support (buy) something you disagree with, is not deliberately provocative.
On the other hand, those who post blaming a feature for all sorts of evil, or saying that the feature should be violently destroyed, definitely fit that description.
If nobody cared, they wouldn't keep debating. Interesting you didn't notice how many times I've tried to introduce a new subject and other people brought it back.
I don't like paying extra for a DVD copy in the same package as a Blu Ray, either. I sometimes sell off that DVD on Amazon and recover a good part of the BR package price. Ultraviolet won't be a disc, just a code, and digital copy is just one disc. This particular release is already priced at about what a single disc would be for a movie of this stature. If you want it even cheaper than that, you could just wait until after it's out and pick it up used on Amazon. It's also likely to be substantially discounted on release date at retail outlets.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I will be thrilled to finally get E.T. on Blu-ray. I'm also perfectly content not to get the special edition in that format. I've already got the SE on DVD which I watched just once to see how it compared. I'll hang on to the SE DVD though from now on I will only be watching the Blu-ray.

On the previous dvd, the 2002 version had the 1982 MPAA ratings logo at the end, and the 1982 version had a 2002 ratings logo...just something I noticed.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Craig S said:
I agree; I hate all those extra DVDs that I will NEVER use. I'm curious, however, how you manage to sell those things on Amazon without a case of their own?? Don't take this as accusatory; I sell stuff on Amazon as well and if you have found a good method for getting rid of these things I may very well "borrow" it from you! :) And in most recent releases digital copy is more often than not just a code as well. 
Answered in a PM so as not to stray off topic.
yeah i know that digital copy is often a code, but I figured if I said that it would be just another opportunity for people to jump in and point out how often it wasn't.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
NY2LA said:
Answered in a PM so as not to stray off topic.
yeah i know that digital copy is often a code, but I figured if I said that it would be just another opportunity for people to jump in and point out how often it wasn't.
I love how often it's just a code now, as I can sell them on eBay without needing to leave an empty space in the Blu-ray case it came in :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ethan Riley said:
Well then don't buy it. Who cares? It's the tiredest argument on this forum and is borderline trolling. Just pack up and move on if you don't want it. I don't want it either, only because they need a bare-bones edition because I'm not shelling out for ultraviolet and digital copies. I only need the blu-ray folks, not all that other trash!
Because he needs to tell everyone on the planet that he won't buy it with out the 2002 version and until the entire earth gets to this topic he will keep going.
Seriously he has said it over and over in this topic and it isn't an E.T. Topic anymore it's an ny2la thread now.
"If nobody cared, they wouldn't keep debating. Interesting you didn't notice how many times I've tried to introduce a new subject and other people brought it back."
There is nonew subject, the topic is about the release of E.T. On blu ray. You have turned it into your own personal I'm not buying it without the '02 version thread. We know already that you don't want to buy it. What else do you need to say about it? Are there other ways to say "I won't buy it" that you haven't written yet?

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by TonyD /t/321107/ushe-press-release-e-t-the-extra-terrestrial/90#post_3934399
Because he needs to tell everyone on the planet that he won't buy it with out the 2002 version and until the entire earth gets to this topic he will keep going.
Seriously he has said it over and over in this topic and it isn't an E.T. Topic anymore it's an ny2la thread now.
"If nobody cared, they wouldn't keep debating. Interesting you didn't notice how many times I've tried to introduce a new subject and other people brought it back."
There is nonew subject, the topic is about the release of E.T. On blu ray. You have turned it into your own personal I'm not buying it without the '02 version thread. We know already that you don't want to buy it. What else do you need to say about it? Are there other ways to say "I won't buy it" that you haven't written yet?
This guy clearly has an obsessive fixation on the old practice of beating the proverbial dead horse...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In all fairness, how are NY2LA's posts any different than the unending complaints in any Star Wars thread? If people are allowed to vent about Star Wars over and over then I don't see why he can't do the same about E.T.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
TonyD said:
Funny you conveniently fail to mention all the different ways you and some others have found to argue and debate what I've posted, and by asking the same questions, including all the crazy stuff you've posted yourself, you're going to get the same answers. You're just as responsible for dragging that on as anyone, but you prefer to blame me. By introducing a new subject, I meant how many times I have tried to change the conversation here to things other than the 02 version. Notice how the last five posts before this one, including a couple from me, have nothing to do with the 02 version, but now you're so obsessed with knocking me, you just can't let it go, so there you are picking it back up again.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
lukejosephchung said:
This guy clearly has an obsessive fixation on the old practice of beating the proverbial dead horse...:P
Actually it's more like I'm the horse and Tony and Eric can't resist beating me even when I talk about something else.
Now again, on another subject, someone posted earlier that he missed the "making of" doc and the cut scenes that were on the laserdisc, and it's been said that those features have not been on any edition since. Someone said they had or were having them archived onto a DVD to store with the current edition. I mentioned this to a friend who has the LD, and... let's just say there are a few people around with the same idea.
The supplement I remember most is Drew Barrymore standing in front of the Cinerama Dome talking about how long the lines are. Has anyone else noticed that the house in E.T. seems to be in the same neighborhood as the house in Poltergeist?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/321107/ushe-press-release-e-t-the-extra-terrestrial/90#post_3934424
In all fairness, how are NY2LA's posts any different than the unending complaints in any Star Wars thread? If people are allowed to vent about Star Wars over and over then I don't see why he can't do the same about E.T.

I agree with you Travis. There are a lot of threads that people have vented about not purchasing a title for some reason or another. I can remember that the WAC thread used to be nothing but people saying they would never buy a MOD title. Sometimes a little venting can make you a better person.

NY2LA, is not the Academy's 70mm Festival at the Samuel Goldwyn theatre and not Grauman's Chinese? At least that is what the email I received said and also posted on their website.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
NY2LA said:
Actually it's more like I'm the horse and Tony and Eric can't resist beating me even when I talk about something else.
Now again, on another subject, someone posted earlier that he missed the "making of" doc and the cut scenes that was on the laserdisc, and it's been said that those features have not been on any edition since. Someone said they had or were having them archived onto a DVD to store with the current edition. I mentioned this to a friend who has the LD, and... let's just say there are a few people around with the same idea.
The supplement I remember most is Drew Barrymore standing in front of the Cinerama Dome talking about how long the lines are. Has anyone else noticed that the house in E.T. seems to be in the same neighborhood as the house in Poltergeist?
According to this website, they aren't.
http://www.bigwaste.com/photos/ca/et/
http://www.bigwaste.com/photos/ca/poltergeist/
If they were, I can't imagine what ghosts sucking a house into another dimension, graves being underfoot, and the feds sealing a house in plastic to contain possible alien viruses does to property values! ;)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
ahollis said:
I agree with you Travis.  There are a lot of threads that people have vented about not purchasing a title for some reason or another.  I can remember that the WAC thread used to be nothing but people saying they would never buy a MOD title.  Sometimes a little venting can make you a better person. 
If you want to call it venting, you should have noticed that I am not the only one, and I haven't used as much venom as others have. If I just kept posting the same exact statement regardless of what else was being said, that would be one thing, but when others post things that misinterpret me, make wild inaccurate claims, or just plan bad arguments, I'm going to comment on that. In life if someone repeatedly ignores things you've said, or a point you've made, occasionally you might find other ways to state it, or other reasons to support your case. Since my position is that everyone should have what they want, I think it's funny that others would debate so severely that i shouldn't have what I want. And that I've been accused of trolling while others post crazy things like the new version should be burned and buried. There just seems to be a certain faction here who treat the forums as a dog does a fire hydrant. I could post something like "wouldn't it be nice if..." and within seconds someone will piss on it... and then again... and again. I don't back down from naysayers, as I just don't see that kind of thing as productive. In this thread I have initiated or continued talk on several things not related to ET02:
The LD doc that other people miss,
The studio the movie was shot in,
The ride at USH,
The original press release,
Wondering what possible production footage there could be that we haven't already seen?
Asking others what their favorite supps were and if they were missing.
Wondering if any material from the original Making of was included in subsequent features
The alternate ending.
The house in the Valley
But the people accusing me of monopolizing the thread ignored all those things, and kept after me about my not buying the new BR.
ahollis said:
NY2LA, is not the Academy's 70mm Festival at the Samuel Goldwyn theatre and not Grauman's Chinese?  At least that is what the email I received said and also posted on their website. 
Yes it is. Grauman's had a Marilyn festival last weekend. This time the Scarlet drapery dress and the Ten Commandments were gone from the lobby, but the first thing you see as you walk in is still that slinky Donald Brooks dress from "STAR!"

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
SilverWook said:
According to this website, they aren't.
http://www.bigwaste.com/photos/ca/et/
http://www.bigwaste.com/photos/ca/poltergeist/
If they were, I can't imagine what ghosts sucking a house into another dimension, graves being underfoot, and the feds sealing a house in plastic to contain possible alien viruses does to property values! ;)
Aha! Thanks for the links. I knew they weren't the same house, but I noticed even when the movies came out they looked like the same neighborhood. Just as Samantha and Darrin live right down the street from the Partridge Family, around the corner from the Griswolds, across from the Friends fountain in Monkees park. Now that neighborhood is fun to walk around... I still picture Tommy Steele dancing around it.
As for property values, well it IS the valley... :P Did you know that if you stand atop the hill behind the Hollywood sign, right between Hollywood and the Valley, you can actually feel the temperature change by walking a couple steps in either direction?
Oh yeah, back to topic. Um... E.T. would have loved that view! Did you notice the similarity in the flyover scene in the E.T. ride and the one in the Peter Pan ride? One was very detailed and you had no time to notice, the other was fairly simple and you had plenty of time to notice.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
NY2LA said:
If you want to call it venting, you should have noticed that I am not the only one, and I haven't used as much venom as others have. If I just kept posting the same exact statement regardless of what else was being said, that would be one thing, but when others post things that misinterpret me, make wild inaccurate claims, or just plan bad arguments, I'm going to comment on that. In life if someone repeatedly ignores things you've said, or a point you've made, occasionally you might find other ways to state it, or other reasons to support your case. Since my position is that everyone should have what they want, I think it's funny that others would debate so severely that i shouldn't have what I want. And that I've been accused of trolling while others post crazy things like the new version should be burned and buried. There just seems to be a certain faction here who treat the forums as a dog does a fire hydrant. I could post something like "wouldn't it be nice if..." and within seconds someone will piss on it... and then again... and again. I don't back down from naysayers, as I just don't see that kind of thing as productive. In this thread I have initiated or continued talk on several things not related to ET02:
The ride at USH,
Wondering what possible production footage there could be that we haven't already seen?
Wondering if any material from the original Making of was included in subsequent features
The alternate ending.
The house in the Valley
But the people accusing me of monopolizing the thread ignored all those things, and kept after me about my not buying the new BR.
Yes it is. Grauman's had a Marilyn festival last weekend. This time the Scarlet drapery dress and the Ten Commandments were gone from the lobby, but the first thing you see as you walk in is still that slinky Donald Brooks dress from "STAR!"
And why is the festival at the Academy? Because the Grauman's Chinese no longer has - film projectors, 70mm or otherwise.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/321107/ushe-press-release-e-t-the-extra-terrestrial/30#post_3932239
Those who love the film that Mr. Spielberg made and released in 1982 will be all over this release...

Didn't you mean to say, "...over the moon..."? ;)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/321107/ushe-press-release-e-t-the-extra-terrestrial/90#post_3934491
The ride at USH,
The alternate ending.
The house in the Valley
I am just agreeing that you have a right to say what you wish and how you wish to say it, to certain limits. I am not criticizing or dispelling your right to post. Have at it, but realize some people are trying to support you and not tear you down. My apologies if the word venting is not to your liking and yes there are other words I could have used, but I was responding to TravisR and his use of the word.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks