What's new

Upgrading to 7.1 system, what paradigms to add to the mix? (1 Viewer)

Fred DeGrandis

Stunt Coordinator
Upgrading to 7.1 system, what paradigms to add to the mix?
I have a B&K ref 50, and I just took the plunge and upgraded my Sherbourn 5/1500A to the Sherbourn 7/2100. I am using Paradigm Studio 100's as the fronts, a Studio CC, and 20's for the rears.

What speakers should I add to the mix for my 7.1 setup?

The two that I have been considering are the 20's, and the ADPs.

As you can see in the picture attached, the room might allow a Studio 20 sitting on a stand in the middle of the room.

Please let me know what you guys think, and soory for the bad sketch

Sorry for the link, but I am

Fred

http://www.hometheaterdiscussion.com...s=&postid=5892

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dave Ma

Stunt Coordinator
How far is that couch from the back wall? I would put the ADP's on the side wall and put some 20's on the rear wall behind the couch. Also why did you put 2 subs on one side instead of 1 on each side?

Fred DeGrandis

Stunt Coordinator
How far is that couch from the back wall?

About 2 feet or so.

I would put the ADP's on the side wall and put some 20's on the rear wall behind the couch.

I will consider that:)

Also why did you put 2 subs on one side instead of 1 on each side?

Because if they are corner loaded, they hit hard as $hit. These are SVS Ultras by the way:)

Fred

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Fred:

Have you been happy with the sound of your system with the direct radiating speakers as surrounds? If you have, then I would not recommend going to the ADP's as surrounds (even though that is what I have). The sound signature from the diffuse surrounds is completely different from the use of direct radiating surrounds and would be quite a change.

Here is a link to my HT - I use ADP's for the surrounds and in-ceiling mounted SA-10R's for the rears.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28828.html

Have you considered using the SA-25's for rears that you could mount into the wall behind you? In lieu of that I would consider the 20's in the rear.

If you are purchasing the speakers locally I would hope that the store would let you take a demo pair of ADP's and 20's home to try out in different configurations. The problem with trying out the ADP's is that you can't mount them as demos! A couple of step ladders to set them on or some strong friends to hold them works well..... (they are not light).

Good luck,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks