What's new

Update: Year of the Dragon Region 1 in May! (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to find out if anyone knows if the Cimino film "Year Of The Dragon" is planned for release on DVD as well as the long missing Roeg flick "Bad Timing"...thanks in advance for any info!

Reg

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
Bad Timing is available in Region 2 at least, in a pretty decent widescreen presentation.

Sergio

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Thank you Sergio, Bob, and Daniel...I was very interested to see that these films are available on DVD in several countries. It makes me wonder if MGM will release a region 1 disc of "Year Of The Dragon"...I'm in the US and I don't believe my DVD player is all region...I'm not even sure about that whole all region player deal because I don't know what else is required aside from the player to watch a region 2 disc in PAL...

Anyway, I hoped to see these two films were coming to region 1..."Year Of The Dragon" is a film with quite a bit of historic talent involved...Cimino directing of course...Oliver Stone wrote the script, Rourke in peak 80's form (before his boxing excursion destroyed him)...it's a big epic film...ok so the girl who plays the reporter gives one of the worst performances ever committed to film...but it's a good film over all. Roeg's "Bad Timing" is just one of those films that has never been seen except by a very few people...it's amazing that a film from a great director like Roeg could remain hidden and mysterious for so long...it's like if Kubrick had a completed film from the 70's that nobody had ever seen...

Maybe I should invest in an all region player but I guess I should find out what that entails...thanks again...and if anyone has any info on these films coming to region 1 please let me know.

Thanks again,

Reg

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Don't ask MGM for a region 1 release...

Ask Warner. They retain American video rights through the Turner buy-out.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

One of the few pre-86 MGM titles still owned by MGM, albeit in foreign countries.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
In a recent interview in ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, Quentin Tarrantino cited the shoot out in YEAR OF THE DRAGON as the greatest action scene of all time (this is not an exact quote, I'm doing this from memory) and said "It's so good you forget to breathe." I wonder if his enthusiasm will spur Warners on to an R1 release (and Warner, if you're listening, could we please have THE YAKUZA too?)

Daniel Windsor

Stunt Coordinator
The Region 3 is 5.1.

My mistake! :D

Looks like the French/Belgian disc dropped the 5.1 for extra 2.0 options.

I can't imagine too much difference TBH.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
the UK disc is bare bones compared to the Deerhunter 2 disc edition. not even a commentary from Cimino

Real Name
Anthony
Just got an e-mail from amazon UK saying that YEAR OF THE DRAGON has been cancelled ! However, some other retailers are listing it as In Stock and I've seen it reviewed on various sites.

Strange . . . Anyone in the UK actually seen this disc on the shelves ?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'm in the USA...so this is sort of a technical question...is it better to buy this film on a Region 3 disc that is NTSC that to get say a Region 2 disc that is PAL...or does it not matter if you have an all region player?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks