What's new

Universal Studios & Warner Brothers Reissued DVD Sets (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
kingfish said:
does netflix also sell dvds?
It depends on how you look at it. If you rent a disc and it gets "lost" you must pay for it. If it later turns up they'll *not* buy it back so you've bought it. In that respect they "sell" DVDs but they do *not* just sell discs like a regular vendor would.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I dropped by a local discount store before supper earlier today, mostly to get some cleaning supplies and food, but also checked out the dvd dump bins.

It turned out the dump bins were filled with tons of those 2006-20010 repackaged/re-released Fox tv season sets. (I noticed many of these rereleased season sets had a 2009 date on the back cover, along with the tv show's original production date).

I picked up The Addams Family (three volumes) and St. Elsewhere for $5 a pop. I figured it was relatively low-risk at such low prices.

I checked these discs on the computer, and found that The Addams Family ones were all dvd-10 flippers, while the St. Elsewhere ones were dvd-14 flippers (except the 4th disc which was a dvd-10 flipper).

In the case of the St. Elsewhere dvd-14 flippers, they were not packed to full data capacity. The data occupied around 75% of the full capacity on the dvd-9 side of the dvd-14 flipper.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
With Fox not re-releasing any flipper sets yet as single-sided discs versions, these are my speculations as to which ones might see a possible repackage/re-release as single-sided discs.

In general for any season set, it would only be viable to do a repackage/re-release when the previous stock of discs has run out, and there is still enough demand for it. Otherwise there is no point in doing a re-release.

- These flipper sets I strongly suspect will not see a re-release by Fox, largely for the reason that somebody else licensed the shows and has already re-released them (such as Shout! Factory or Millenium/VEI).

Hill Street Blues - seasons 1 and 2
Cagney and Lacey - season 1
Mister Ed - volumes 1 and 2
The Bob Newhart Show - seasons 1 to 4
The Big Valley - season 2 vol 1

- These flipper sets might see a possible re-release by Fox, since somebody else has licensed and/or continued releasing subsequent seasons.

Dynasty - season 1
The Big Valley - season 1
NYPD Blue - seasons 3 and 4

In the case of Dynasty season 1, I can only see it being re-released as single-sided discs if and when a "complete series set" is released. Either Paramount/CBS gets back the license to season 1, or Fox just manufactures a number of copies for such a "complete series" set.

With Shout! Factory recently releasing The Big Valley season 2 and NYPD Blue season 5 (with season 6 being scheduled for June), Fox might see it as an opportunity to cash in on a single-sided discs repackage/re-release if there is still pent-up demand for these season sets. Another possiblity is if a "complete series" set is released by Shout! Factory.

- For these flipper sets, I wouldn't be surprised if Fox is just letting them go out-of-print until somebody else picks up the license (such as a Shout! Factory or Millenium/VEI).

Green Acres - seasons 1 and 2
Anything But Love - volume 1
Dharma & Greg - season 1
St. Elsewhere - season 1
The White Shadow - seasons 1 and 2
Flipper - season 1

- For these two shows, I can only see Fox re-releasing them as single-side discs if there is a sudden new interest in these shows. Otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if Fox just lets them go out-of-print.

The Simple Life - seasons 1 to 5
In Living Color - seasons 3 to 5

- For the rest of these Fox flipper season sets, I can only see them being re-released as single-sided discs when they run out of discs inventory and they still see some demand for these season sets.

The Addams Family - volumes 1 to 3
The Outer Limits - volumes 1 to 3
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (all)
Land of the Giants - complete series
Time Tunnel - volumes 1 and 2

The Lone Gunmen - complete series
Alien Nation - season 1 and tv movies
Space Above and Beyond - complete series
Christy - complete series

(These season sets already had a repackaged re-release back in 2009, but are still flipper discs).
Bones - season 1
Reba - seasons 1 to 6
King of the Hill - seasons 3 to 6
Remington Steele - seasons 1 to 4/5
The Pretender - seasons 1 to 4 (and tv movies)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
These Knight Rider single-sided disc re-releases look like they may be the same discs from the 2008 complete series set.

My copy of the single-sided season 1 has a 2008 date on the physical discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
- These flipper sets might see a possible re-release by Fox, since somebody else has licensed and/or continued releasing subsequent seasons.

Dynasty - season 1
The Big Valley - season 1
NYPD Blue - seasons 3 and 4

In the case of Dynasty season 1, I can only see it being re-released as single-sided discs if and when a "complete series set" is released. Either Paramount/CBS gets back the license to season 1, or Fox just manufactures a number of copies for such a "complete series" set.

With Shout! Factory recently releasing The Big Valley season 2 and NYPD Blue season 5 (with season 6 being scheduled for June), Fox might see it as an opportunity to cash in on a single-sided discs repackage/re-release if there is still pent-up demand for these season sets. Another possiblity is if a "complete series" set is released by Shout! Factory.
One can examine what Shout! Factory did with previous Fox flippers sets, in the form of complete series sets. Two cases of interest would be the complete series sets of The Bob Newhart Show and Hill Street Blues.

http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Newhart-Show-Complete/dp/B00HRUQB5O
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/articles.html/_/dvd-blu-ray-reviews/hill-street-blues-the-complete-series-dvd-review-recommended-r575

From the above ^ linked Hill Street Blues complete series set review (on this site), the season 1 and 2 sets were re-authored and are not just a simple plain duplication of the original Fox flipper disc sides into single-sided discs.

From the amazon link for The Bob Newhart Show, the complete series set disc count is 19. With six seasons of the show of twenty-four 25-minute episodes per season, this would probably mean 3 discs per season with eight episodes per single-sided dvd-9 disc. (The original Fox releases had 3 flipper dvd-10 discs per season set). This is also not just a simple plain duplication of the original Fox flipper disc sides into single-side discs.

This might possibly mean that Fox has largely washed their hands of their previous flipper season sets, and handed off responsibility for the licensed single-sided disc re-releases of Hill Street Blues, The Bob Newhart Show, NYPD Blue, The Big Valley, etc ... to Shout! Factory (most likely as a part of a complete series set).

It appears that Fox has not (yet) "re-released" any Shout! Factory single-sided disc versions of their previous flipper season sets (for example, such as Mister Ed).

Universal recently re-released season 1 and 2 of "Leave it to Beaver", but I don't know whether these new single-sided disc versions are the Shout! Factory versions or just a simple duplication of the original 2005-2006 Universal version's flipper disc sides. There are some reports that the Shout! Factory versions of season 1 and 2 (from the complete series set) may be re-authored and slightly different than the original 2005-2006 Universal versions.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1QFBG2FVKFVTD/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0038SUBDC&nodeID=2625373011&store=movies-tv

If the above speculations in this post are remotely true, then in principle the flipper seasons sets that Fox might possibly re-release as single-sided discs, would be mostly tv shows where Fox had previously released all of the seasons. This would mean the following flipper sets (in the event they run out of discs inventory and there is still enough demand for them):

Reba - seasons 1 to 6

(Bones season 1 and "King of the Hill" seasons 3 to 6 might also be viable as a single-sided disc re-releases, if they run out of flipper copies and there is still enough demand for them).

The question that none of us can answer (at least not as outsider pundits), is which of these Fox flipper season sets still have "enough" demand for them and/or have run out of discs inventory.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
kingfish said:
i was hoping for space above and beyond.
kingfish said:
v the tv series actually contained the gold flipper discs which were aweful.
For either of these two cases, most likely the time they will be re-released as single-sided discs, will be when they run out of flipper copies and there is still demand for them.

I see the V season set in the local dvd bargain bins quite frequently.

Occasionally I see "Space Above and Beyond" in the bargain bins. Though not as often as V.

More generally, the Fox flipper sets I see frequently in the local bargain bins, is stuff like "King of the Hill", Reba, Hill Street Blues, The Pretender, etc ... The others I don't see as often.

Of Warner's flipper sets, I frequently see stuff like Dallas, Dukes of Hazzard, Gilligan's Island, V, etc ... in the local bargain bins. The others I don't see as often.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
These Knight Rider single-sided disc re-releases look like they may be the same discs from the 2008 complete series set.

My copy of the single-sided season 1 has a 2008 date on the physical discs.
UniversalPhan said:

The single-sided discs re-releases of seasons 2 to 4, also appears to be the same discs from the 2008 complete series Knight Rider set. My copies all have a 2008 date on the physical discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Some more random thoughts on possible single-sided discs re-releases of Fox flipper seasons sets).

For "The Simple Life", I suspect single-sided disc re-releases would be highly dependent on whether Paris Hilton has a resurgence in popularity. Otherwise Fox may very well just let it go out-of-print.

(I don't know enough about these two shows, to make any intelligible guesses regarding single-sided disc season set re-releases).

For these shows, the main audience seems to be either hardcore sci-fi and/or nostalgia types. The question is whether either type are willing to double-dip on single-sided discs re-releases of these shows.

For example in the case of some nostalgia types, the individuals who purchased these older tv show season sets to watch again and were subsequently disappointed and/or only watched it once, are probably not likely to double-dip on single-sided disc re-releases.

In the case of hardcore sci-fi types, the question is whether there is still a large enough audience for these shows that are either new customers or "dvd double-dippers", to warrant such single-sided disc season set re-releases. In the sci-fi world, these particular Fox shows were not exactly the most popular sci-fi shows.

Bones - season 1

For Bones season 1, I wouldn't be surprised if this is re-released as an 8 single-sided discs season set, once the old flipper season set inventory is sold out. (Perhaps similar to how seasons 1 and 2 of ER were re-released as single-sided discs season sets in 2011).

Reba - seasons 1 to 6

Two possibilities of seeing single-sided discs re-releases of Reba, could be either an official "complete series" set and/or the old flipper season set inventory is sold out. (Assuming there is still a significant audience after the show ended).

King of the Hill - seasons 3 to 6

For "King of the Hill" being re-released as single-sided discs, either the flipper season set inventory is sold out and/or somebody else licenses the show and releases a "complete series" set (such as a company like Shout! Factory).

For these two shows, the question is whether there is still a large enough audience for these season sets. Considering these two shows may have been dvd bargain bin fodder for several years, I don't know whether there would be much interest in "complete series" sets.

Possible audiences for these two shows' season sets, may very well be the nostalgia types and the "dvd double-dipping" crowd. For the case of some nostalgia types, the individuals who purchased the original flipper season sets to watch the shows again and were subsequently disappointed and/or only watched it once, are probably not likely to double-dip on single-sided disc season set re-releases.

With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if it's mainly the "dvd double-dippers" which end up being the main customers for these two shows' single-sided discs season set re-releases. (ie. The type of individuals who would buy the single-sided discs season set re-releases of shows like Magnum PI, Murder She Wrote, Knight Rider, etc ... after previously buying the flipper sets years earlier).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
(Some more random thoughts on possible single-sided discs re-releases of Fox flipper seasons sets).

For these two shows, the question is whether there is still a large enough audience for these season sets. Considering these two shows may have been dvd bargain bin fodder for several years, I don't know whether there would be much interest in "complete series" sets.

Possible audiences for these two shows' season sets, may very well be the nostalgia types and the "dvd double-dipping" crowd. For the case of some nostalgia types, the individuals who purchased the original flipper season sets to watch the shows again and were subsequently disappointed and/or only watched it once, are probably not likely to double-dip on single-sided disc season set re-releases.

With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if it's mainly the "dvd double-dippers" which end up being the main customers for these two shows' single-sided discs season set re-releases. (ie. The type of individuals who would buy the single-sided discs season set re-releases of shows like Magnum PI, Murder She Wrote, Knight Rider, etc ... after previously buying the flipper sets years earlier).

Other flipper season set shows which I suspect also might fit into a similar characterization as above ^, where "dvd double-dippers" might be the main customers for single-sided discs re-releases, could be stuff like (in addition to Remington Steele and The Pretender):

Dukes of Hazzard - seasons 1 to 3, and 6
Wonder Woman - seasons 1 to 3
Kung Fu - seasons 1 to 3

The Rockford Files - season 1Emergency! - seasons 1 and 2
Airwolf - season 1
Quantum Leap - seasons 2 to 5

Dragnet 1967 - season 1
Alfred Hitchcock Presents - season 1Quincy, M.E. - seasons 1/2Adam-12 - season 1Kojak - season 1McCloud - seasons 1/2Kolchak - The Night Stalker

(Stuff already re-released as single-sided discs).
Gilligan's Island - seasons 1 to 3
ChiPs - season 2
Knight Rider - seasons 1 to 4
Magnum PI - seasons 1 to 4
The A-Team - seasons 2 to 4
Murder She Wrote - seasons 1 to 3
Miami Vice - seasons 1 and 2
Northern Exposure - seasons 1 to 4
The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries - season 1
The Munsters - seasons 1 and 2
Leave it to Beaver - season 1 and 2
Columbo - season 3
the original Battlestar Galactica - The Complete Epic Series
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century: The Complete Epic Series

Over the last year or so, Universal seems to have been hastening their timetable on these single-sided discs re-releases, by previously doing mass inventory liquidatons of the older flipper sets at places like Costco, Walmart, etc ... Perhaps Universal might be seeing some pent-up market demand for such single-sided discs re-releases, from the "dvd double-dipper" crowd ?

Warner seems to be doing their single-sided disc re-releases at a slower pace, while Fox is just sitting on the sidelines. Since mid-2012, Warner has not done any single-sided discs season set re-releases of previous flipper sets.

But if Universal is relatively successful with their single-sided discs re-releases, perhaps it may encourage Warner to speed up its timetable and Fox to start doing their own single-sided discs season set re-releases.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Found an old blog post from mid-2005 which goes into the Netflix flipper -> single-sided discs issue.

http://netflixunderground.blogspot.com/2005/03/netflix-inflates-multi-dvd-sets.html

Here are the quoted Netflix disc counts of tv shows season sets circa early-mid 2005, from the above ^ linked blog post:

Oz: The Complete Fourth SeasonNormal = 3 DVDs : Netflix = 6 DVDsWithout a Trace: The Complete First SeasonNormal = 4 DVDs : Netflix = 7 DVDsThe West Wing - The Complete Third SeasonNormal = 4 DVDs : Netflix = 7 DVDsDallas - The Complete First and Second SeasonsNormal = 5 DVDs : Netflix = 10 DVDsMiami Vice - Season OneNormal = 3 DVDs : Netflix = 6 DVDsQuantum Leap: The Complete Second SeasonNormal = 3 DVDs : Netflix = 6 DVDsQuantum Leap: The Complete Third SeasonNormal = 3 DVDs : Netflix = 6 DVDsKojak - Season OneNormal = 3 DVDs : Netflix = 6 DVDsThe Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries - Season OneNormal = 2 DVDs : Netflix = 4 DVDsThe Dukes of Hazzard - The Complete Second SeasonNormal = 4 DVDs : Netflix = 8 DVDsThe Dukes of Hazzard - The Complete Third SeasonNormal = 4 DVDs : Netflix = 8 DVDs

The Netflix disc counts of these particular season sets, would be consistent with duplicating the flipper disc sides into single-sided discs.

So even back in 2005, these Netflix single-sided discs versions of various flipper disc season sets had existed all this time.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Hmmm ....

This may be the start of a worrying trend, where tv season sets are re-released as dvd-r manufacture-on-demand (MOD) titles.

Recently on February 27 2014, the "Dead Like Me" season sets were re-released as MOD titles.

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Like-Me-Digitally-Remastered/dp/B00IP01REA
http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Like-Me-Digitally-Remastered/dp/B00IP01P0G
http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Like-Me-Complete-Lightning/dp/B00IP01S6C

"Dead Like Me" seasons 1 and 2 were originally released by MGM, back in 2004 and 2005.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shows/Dead-Like/6855

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This completely changes things if MOD is a viable way to re-release older season sets.

One flipper set which probably wouldn't be too surprising to see being re-released as MOD after the flipper stock is sold out, would be season 1 of "Without a Trace".

Seasons 3 to 6 of "Without A Trace" were released as Warner MOD titles in region 1, back in 2012 and 2013.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shows/Trace/6101

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
More subsequent MOD tv season sets, where an earlier season was a flipper disc season set.

Alfred Hitchcock Presents - season 6 (November 8, 2013)

http://www.amazon.com/Alfred-Hitchcock-Presents-Season-6/dp/B00FEOYY8G

the original Flipper - season 2 (June 3, 2010)

http://www.amazon.com/Flipper-Original-Season-Brian-Kelly/dp/B003BLPEH4

Short of "complete series" sets being released for these two shows, I wouldn't be surprised if season 1 of Flipper and/or season 1 of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" end up being re-released as dvd-r MOD titles after the original double-sided flipper disc inventories are sold out.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This is interesting. Over the last year or so, Fox has been doing many dvd-r MOD season set releases of some more recent or current tv shows.

The Cleveland Show - season 3 (March 1, 2013)
The Cleveland Show - season 4 (December 17, 2013)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cleveland-Show-Season-3/dp/B00BI5YEWG
http://www.amazon.com/The-Cleveland-Show-Season-4/dp/B00HDU9UOW

Bob's Burgers - season 2 (May 7, 2013)
Bob's Burgers - season 3 (May 13, 2014)

http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Burgers-H-Jon-Benjamin/dp/B00CO8WWS4
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/330972-tcfhe-press-release-bobs-burgers-the-complete-third-season/
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bobs-Burgers-Season-3/19677

Brickleberry - season 1 (October 1, 2013)

http://www.amazon.com/Brickleberry-Kaitlin-Olson-Herman-Daniel/dp/B00FK7CSHQ

American Dad - volume 9 (May 13, 2014)

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/American-Dad-Volume-9/19682

The Glades - season 3 (June 4, 2013)
The Glades - season 4 (June 3, 2014)

http://www.amazon.com/Sanchez-Carlos-Michelle-Shelton-Passmore/dp/B00D6I7GHS
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/330980-tcfhe-press-release-the-glades-season-4/
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Glades-Season-4/19680

Raising Hope - season 2 (November 1, 2012)
Raising Hope - season 3 (October 8, 2013)

http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Hope-Season-Lucas-Neff/dp/B009Z3QPL6
http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Plimpton-Dillahunt-Leachman-Woodward/dp/B00FPUN61U

The Killing - season 2 (April 2, 2013)
The Killing - season 3

http://www.amazon.com/The-Killing-Season-Mireille-Enos/dp/B00BWX4MDU
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Killing-Season-3/19678
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/330979-tcfhe-press-release-the-killing-season-3/

Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23 - complete series (October 8, 2013)

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Trust-Apartment-23-Complete/dp/B00FPUN57K

Louie - season 3 (May 13, 2014)

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Louie-Season-3/19681
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/330977-tcfhe-press-release-louie-the-complete-season-3/
Wilfred - season 3 (June 17, 2014)

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Wilfred-Season-3/19675
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/330981-tcfhe-press-release-wilfred-the-complete-third-season/

Last Man Standing - seasons 1 and 2 (May 13, 2014)

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/330970-tcfhe-press-release-last-man-standing-the-complete-first-season/
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Man-Standing-Seasons-1-and-2/19679

If this is a sign of things to come (or already happening), then I wouldn't be surprised if "King of the Hill" seasons 3 to 6 end up being re-released as dvd-r MOD titles, once the old flipper set inventory is sold out (and nobody else licenses the show to do a "complete series" set).

For that matter, some other older Fox flipper disc season sets which probably wouldn't surprise me at all if they were re-released as dvd-r MOD titles, once all the old flipper set inventory is sold out (and if nobody else licenses these shows):

Green Acres - seasons 1 and 2
Anything But Love - volume 1
Dharma & Greg - season 1
St. Elsewhere - season 1
The White Shadow - seasons 1 and 2

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
For starters, a list ot Universal flipper season sets which have not yet been re-released as single-sided disc sets, which I'm aware of:

Quincy, M.E. - seasons 1/2Adam-12 - season 1Kojak - season 1McCloud - seasons 1/2Kolchak - The Night Stalker
Dragnet 1967 - season 1

At this point, I'm starting to suspect the only way single-sided pressed disc re-releases of these Universal flipper sets will ever happen, is if Shout! Factory (or somebody else) decides to do them.

Shout! Factory continued on with subsequent seasons for:

- Quincy, M.E.
- Adam-12
- Kojak
- Dragnet 1967

(McCloud was released in Denmark).

Otherwise if nobody else licenses these shows, then most likely Universal may very well end up re-releasing them as dvd-r MOD titles once all the old flipper set inventory is sold out.

I don't know which one is worse: dvd-r MOD or flipper dvd-18 discs.

buddybluray

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Buddy
jcroy said:
At this point, I'm starting to suspect the only way single-sided pressed disc re-releases of these Universal flipper sets will ever happen, is if Shout! Factory (or somebody else) decides to do them.

Shout! Factory continued on with subsequent seasons for:

- Quincy, M.E.
- Adam-12
- Kojak
- Dragnet 1967

(McCloud was released in Denmark).

Otherwise if nobody else licenses these shows, then most likely Universal may very well end up re-releasing them as dvd-r MOD titles once all the old flipper set inventory is sold out.

I don't know which one is worse: dvd-r MOD or flipper dvd-18 discs.
All of this talk of flipper sets has me thinking lately. Did (do) flipper discs really save the studio money? I mean, yes, no labels saves on printing, but most have branded their disc art the same across the board, but I would still think flipper discs would cost more than single-sided discs to produce, in some fashion, due to the fact that they can store more than single-sided discs. Just a thought.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Flipper disc cost more than single sided disc to produce. But not twice as much so there's a savings there plus it allows for cheaper packaging due to a smaller disc count.

That's why they do it for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks