What's new

Interview Universal Studios Monsters Collection Making the Invisible Man, Visible Again (1 Viewer)

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Ken Volok said:
That's not UCLA off the I-5 near Valencia, that's Cal Arts.... not affiliated with the UC system at all......
Actually Ken that IS the new UCLA facility right off of the 5 freeway in Valencia. Those large cranes you see from the freeway between McBean Parkway and Valencia Blvd are being used to construct the new UCLA safety film vaults and archive building. The nitrate vaults are on the same property and have been open for the past couple of years.

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Volok
Eastmancolor said:
Actually Ken that IS the new UCLA facility right off of the 5 freeway in Valencia. Those large cranes you see from the freeway between McBean Parkway and Valencia Blvd are being used to construct the new UCLA safety film vaults and archive building. The nitrate vaults are on the same property and have been open for the past couple of years.
Thank you for the clarification Jim. I thankfully haven't driven that stretch for some time so was unawares. I'm glad I didn't get snarky!

Real Name
Jeffrey Sultanof
As someone mentioned in another message, this is a far cry from the lack of any kind of interest in film restoration forty-odd years ago, when I was going to the revival houses and seeing awful prints of some important films. Home video and cable changed everything. Even Netflix now streams very good to excellent copies of movies made at Monogram and Republic.
The Monsters Box from Universal was one of the best purchases I made this year. As terrific as the presentation O'Neil and company made (and I would have loved to have been there), it's a pity that they weren't asked about the Hitchcock box, which has its share of disappointing transfers as we know.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Hard to add much to what Adam and others provided above.
The film vault tour was very cool ( literally and figuratively ) and I think I got a bit of a sore neck trying to see all the different titles that were there.
The backlot tour was fun and the King Kong 3D attraction was very well done.
I too especially enjoyed the discussion of the restoration process' that were ongoing. I also wished that we had more time discussing the aspects of Universal's restorations.
Thanks to the Universal Home Video team for a great tour.

cathyo

Auditioning
Real Name
Cathy Osadciw
I especially found it interesting hearing Peter Schade talk about the restoration of the Universal Monsters Collection. I was fascinated in how much detail is involved in the restoration of a film. Knowing this, I will have a greater appreciation of movies I watch on Blu-ray, as I love the old classic movies. I was also very interested hearing from Jeff Pirtle about the history of Universal. Too often we don't realize the amount of passion and time the people at these studios devote to their craft. It truly is an art.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks