What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Universal at CES (1 Viewer)

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
It's definately in a retailers interest to sell the more expensive items if they can explain why it's better.

The more expensive you go, the more items to accompany them. Got a big TV? Well by golly you do need surround sound.

So many people have home theater in a box set ups though. Blegh.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Actually I never said that quality audio didn't matter to me. I was saying that a high bit rate DD+ track is so close to lossless quality that for most people its a toss up. I can hear a difference between DD+ and lossless, but the difference is so minor that if I didn't have two tracks side by side to A/B them, I'm not sure I would know the difference.

Doug

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Yes, just today one co-worker stopped me and said that he bought PS3 (like I instructed.. ;) ) and said roughly like: "Damn, that HD-quality looks good! I didn´t watched the film, I just watched how good it looked" (he bought one of the Harry Potters, not sure which one). And this person is not a "A/V buff" in nature, nor probably even a film buff for that matter. He has the LCD with the resolution of 768 (so the TV is not 1080p).

So when people do give a fair chance to HD-media, they´ll notice that the quality is great and they benefit from it (since many people now buy these LCD/Plasma-sets, that at least have the lower HD-resolution).

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor

I have never been impressed with Dolby Digital Plus myself, it sounds the same to me as max bitrate Dolby Digital like on BD and D-Theater previously, meaning compressed, don't get me wrong, it isn't DVD quality but it isn't even close to DTS Master, Dolby TrueHD or best yet 24-bit PCM like "Gone in 60 Seconds" from Disney :eek:

Doug, how are you listening to HD-DVD? decoded in player? via analog or PCM HDMI?

-Gary

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

This is pretty much your own opinion. Sure, it´s shared by many, but there are as many people hoping that we would finally have "one HD-format" and more and more people can then take that "step" and buy that HD-player (and films after that). So what is "ideal" for you, is not "ideal" to all people.

Quite frankly, you sound more like a bitter HD DVD-fan to me than the one giving strong arguments about the format. I have had PS3 for a quite some time now and never had any real problems with the software or hardware (and it´s now 1.1). Not sure what happen with 2.0 (and PS3), but I don´t see all these "problems" that you seem to see with Blu-ray. Blu-ray is now 1.1, so the interactivity is not lacking anymore. It has 50gb, so the capacity won´t be the problem. Quality is great and it has all the same codecs and audio formats (well, not DD+, I agree) as HD DVD. So where´s the problem?

Let´s say that Warner would´ve chosen HD DVD. Would you now be a happy camper, NOT wanting this "format war" to continue? Would you then want that we would have one HD-format and that would be HD DVD?

Both camps are essentially wanting and hoping the same thing: Eventually that "their format" would win. We all took the gamble and we certainly knew the risks. Now the "war should continue", since the HD DVD-fans are not happy? "War should only end" if HD DVD wins?

All these "consumer perspectives" are mainly BS (generally speaking). People are just unhappy, if their format is not on the winning side..

Edit: Sure, "format war" has brought some of the prices down, I can´t deny that. But if we truly want the "masses" behind HD, it takes a bit more than one Toshiba "on 100$" sale. What we need is ONE FORMAT. So that people can take that first step and get the player that won´t go away. Fortunately it seems that the companies are starting to realize that.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Decoded in the player, sent to the amp via analog connections, and using JBL HT Series speakers. My blu-ray player is hooked up via analog connections as well.

Doug

Dave>h

Second Unit
Jari,

"Quite frankly, you sound more like a bitter HD DVD-fan to me than the one giving strong arguments about the format"

What I am is a fan of HD media and not some Blu Ray fanboy blindly following the 50 gigs is better than 30 gigs logic and concluding that Blu Ray is the superior format.

"but I don´t see all these "problems" that you seem to see with Blu-ray. Blu-ray is now 1.1, so the interactivity is not lacking anymore"

But that isn't a problem? It was (and still is from what I have been reading).

Blu ray has been playing catch up since day 1 and screwing their consumer base by selling them machines that were overpriced and are now incompatible with their latest products (unless you bought a PS3, which seems like a great machine but not everyone wants a gaming machine as there BD player).

Honestly, I think Blu ray will ultimately end up winning the war but hopefully not before the consumer gets decently priced hardware and software. IMHO, without the format war, I don't see that happening.

Dave

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye

Carlo has hit the nail firmly on the head here. I remember the week that HD DVD launched, and people here saying that Blu-ray had to launch soon or the war would be over before it started, and all because HD DVD launched and worked (albeit not perfectly).

Blu-ray had no choice but to launch within a quarter of HD DVD, regardless of how finished it was.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I thought Jari's post was beautifully done. I agree with every point he stated. My bad Douglas on your audio thoughts. I know i get lost on all the audio talk in these threads, and i consider myself to be somwhat in the know in whats what. Can you imagine Joe 6 pack? He has to be lost about the whole thing.

Colton

Supporting Actor
denial
anger
bargaining
depression
acceptance

Universal Studios announced they are no longer HD-DVD exclusive. What else could that mean except that they will try to sell to both formats?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Not a problem Rick. Lots of opinions are flying around here. My only problem is that many opinions are being bandied about as fact. I totally sympathize with the opinion that lossless audio should be on every disc. All I'm saying is that lossless audio MAY not always be the practical solution and in those cases DD+ is a very high quality compromise.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Actually all it said was that the exclusive contract MAY have ended. But for all we know it ended a year ago. It doesn't mean that just because they don't HAVE to be exclusive that they will suddenly start publishing on blu-ray.

Doug

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Well, I didn´t say that. For me that "extra 20gb" is a plus and something that HD DVD doesn´t have. But it´s just one issue on this whole mess..

Anyway, if the tone will be "Blu-ray fanboys" and such, you probably find a better feedback from the AVSforum.. As you see from my signature, I have both formats..

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

In fairness to Doug, DD+ on HD DVD typically ranges between 640 kbps "Dolby Digital" quality (Warner) to 1500 kbps (Paramount). In other words, the DD+ on Transformers is more than twice the bit-rate of "standard Dolby" at 640, basically about the same as the bit-rate used for the lossy DTS core stream, so it should sound better than 640 kbps DD (though I still want full 24-bit lossless!).

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Actually the standard bit rate for Dolby Digital in the theater is 320 kbps, on DVD it's 448 kbps. Only when you get to HD DVD and blu-ray is the standard rate 640 kbps. DVD can technically run 640, but not all players will play it back.

I too would prefer to have 24-bit lossless when ever possible, which should be most of the time, though my audio system isn't capable of accurately reproducing much more than about 20 bit.

Doug

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
yes, by "standard" I didn't mean "standard bit-rate", I meant that 640 is the max-bit-rate for "standard Dolby" before you move up to Dolby Plus etc.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yep. And notice how they specifically don't say that they won't also support Blu... there might be a purple move coming soon (maybe in Feb as Bill Hunt suggested).

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well until Universal starts putting out Blu-ray titles I am sure that studios like WB, Fox, Sony, Disney and New Line would love to receive my business. I do not make a ton of cash so I have to weigh each purchase I make and when a studio does not support the format I prefer. Well since I am on a budget it just means that Universal will not get much $$ from me.

I will be waiting for Universal's anouncement that they will be offering Blu-ray titles, until then sorry Universal you made your bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks