What's new

UHD Blu-ray Players (1 Viewer)

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
With the new Samsung UHD player already out, though in short supply. Our local Best Buy brought in 8 units on release day which sold out that day, and they are still waiting for a new shipment.
Today I read a review of the Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD player, but have not been able to get any release info on it (or pricing information).
Have any of you received any info on this player or know how it compares against the Samsung model? It also appears that the Oppo UHD offering will probably be available next year from what I've read. (I hope I'm wrong)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's overpriced, that's all I need to know... No DV nothing to make it more valuable than the 8500 and I stopped paying attention. I recommend all but the most crazed of enthusiasts wait for E3 and see if PS 4.5 truly has UHD support

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I have been very happy with the Samsung player. I bought it to hold me over until the Oppo arrives (in Dec, fingers crossed). They have released several firmware updates that fixed most of the bugs. The Panasonic seems to have issues with Atmos getting drop outs. They are working on a fix hopefully to be out before it hits the US market.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The Samsung is great with 3 caveats:
$400 is overpriced, the others are just overpriced more
No Dolby vision support
Ads

It is tricking ridiculous that I can't turn ads off on a device I paid $400 for

One more minor quibble: there is no mechanism for a user to move the apps they use first to replace Samsung's default top apps

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
The Samsung is great with 3 caveats:
$400 is overpriced, the others are just overpriced more
No Dolby vision support
Ads

It is tricking ridiculous that I can't turn ads off on a device I paid $400 for

One more minor quibble: there is no mechanism for a user to move the apps they use first to replace Samsung's default top apps

What Ads... Where are the ads at I never have seen any.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
They may have removed em from the initial run. Haven't used mine in a month, been mostly watching streams and video games on my office 4K tv and Blus in the basement. Mine is hooked up in the living room awaiting a 4K replacement down the road. I don't have room in my office for another deck...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The Samsung deck now supports Amazon HDR, assuming your TV supports HDR10. It's the first non Amazon box to do so. Vizio P owners like myself will finally be able to get HDR10 and Dolby Video from both Streams and Disks as soon as Vizio releases their next patch. Huzzah!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't have this player so I can't comment directly - but Robert Harris has had a lot of difficulty with his unit. You might want to check any of his "A Few Words About..." posts that cover UHD titles.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I personally haven't had any issues and several other people I know haven't had any issues either... The Panasonic has had issues with Atmos playback and dropouts. They where dropping a new firmware to fix it in theory. So none of these players are perfect out of the gate.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
There is a a fine review of the Sammy player in the latest issue of Sound & Vision. I was reading parts of the review last night.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sort of Doc. It ignores the Backlight setting, it HAS to use a very specific backlight amount to ensure HDR quality.

Details in there, will see if I can find a text description.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Connected by new Samsung 4K UHD player to my Samsung 4K set today.

All I can say is....

WOW !!!

Without any calibrations, the DETAILS and the COLORS are SPECTACULAR!

Don't regret this impulse buy at all.

When you consider the entry price points for previous players (DVD, LD, HDDVD and Blu-rays), $399 for this player is not bad.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm of the opposite mindset. It's not just the remote but the lack of functionality (step backwards, getting to FF/REW is super frustrating). I've even updated my universal Harmony remote in hopes that the missing functions were there...no such luck. I've got about 5 days left on my return policy, and I'm seriously thinking of returning the Samsung UBD-K8500. These are very basic functions that Samsung left off of the player that $49 Wal-Mart BD players can do (and yes those functions are missing when you try to play back BD as well, not just UHD)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks