What's new

UFC Ongoing Thread (1 Viewer)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Lots of coverage lately about Anderson Silva saying he might want to fight Roy Jones, Jr. I'd certainly watch if it happened, but Roy's a bit old at this point. I also have a hard time thinking this would ever happen. Dana White doesn't seem to be open to these types of things unless they occur under a UFC banner, and does Roy Jones, Jr. really want to step into the octagon?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
So, when the UFC made the announcement of their new sponsor a few weeks ago, it seemed minor compared to the ProElite/CBS deal.

However, it could end up being much bigger especially if EliteXC doesn't pull a good rating on the network.

Anheuser-Busch is the leading company when it comes to sports marketing and was for every year from 1994 to 2006 when Chevrolet beat it out. The rankings weren't instituted until 94 so landing that sponsorship really is big.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
If you're looking for some MMA to watch on Saturday, you could do a lot worse than Icon Sport: To Hell and Backstreaming live and free at ProElite.com Saturday Night at 8:00 PM ET.

If you saw the last ShoXC, at least one fighter will be familiar to you that being Kala Kolohe Hose.

He'll face Phil Baroni of UFC and Strikeforce Shamrock Vs. Baroni fame.

Icon Sport is one of the oldest promotions in the country and has produced some of MMA's biggest stars.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

Based on what you've said in the past, Dana wouldn't go for it as any short term financial windfall would come at great risk that the MMA/UFC fighter loses and boxing can harp forevermore (until it occurs again) that, "See, we told you they weren't real fighters, and don't compare to Boxers."

In theory, I'd love to see the fight, but I don't see Anderson Silva beating Roy Jones, Jr. if it is a boxing match, and I don't see Roy Jones, Jr. beating Anderson Silva if it is a MMA match. The only way Dana would allow it to occur would be if it were a MMA fight under the UFC banner. In that way, UFC would get the money, and Dana'd be pretty sure of a Silva win.

That's my take, anyway. Just watch. Both fighters want it, but it won't happen because of restrictive UFC contracts.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
If anyone here is interested, our site has
live play-by-play of the Marquez-Pacquiao fight

But, also tonight I'll be recapping the XFL show on HDNet. That show features 3 members of Team takedown including a guy who I've been eager to see for awhile now Jake Rosholt. People say Rosholt will be a top 10 middleweight in the world.

If you're not familiar with Team Takedown, the concept is kind of different from a typical training camp.

Team Takedown recruits fighters, puts them on salary and allows them to train full time. That's quite a bit different from the sponsorship model and I think it could work. Team Takedown looks for standout college wrestlers which the 3 men competing on tonight's show are.

So if you want my reactions to this show as it happens or after the fact click here

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
So after I did my XFL report (and still when I type it I think of a horrible football league and Vince McMahon) but I digress. After that was over, I went to ProElite and as luck would have it, I picked up the stream right as the main event between Phil Baroni and Kala Kolohe Hose was starting.

What an awesome fight that turned out to be. I'll be watching the full show tomorrow and filing a report but watching the stream would be worth it just for that fight. Plus it is free, and you're not gonna get a better price than that.

A ProElite.com account is required to watch but seriously:
http://www.proelite.com/event/47 Baroni-Hose was really fun.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
The Baroni-Hose fight was not quite what I was expecting. I'm not familiar with Hose, but I've seen some Baroni fights, particularly the one against Frank Shamrock. The Baroni in this fight was nothing like the fighter in that one. He truly got his butt kicked for most of that fight.

So, is that another promotion that is related to the Showtime stuff? The format is obviously different, what with the ring and the 3 minute rounds in the other fights.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Fight Night 13 bout canceled due to injury

James, I saw Hose on the most recent ShoXC broadcast back in January so what he did wasn't really a surprise to me and in a way I expected it. Hose had said earlier in the week that if he could outlast Baroni's early attacks, his conditioning would take over and he'd eventually pound him out. I'm surprised it took until Round 5 but that is what happened.

I loved the Hawaiian crowd chant "guillotine" any time someone went for one.

Yes, Icon Sport is owned by ProElite.
As far as I know these are the promotions owned by that group: Icon Sport, Rumble on the Rock, Spirit FC (in Korea) Cage Rage, King of the Cage and EliteXC. They've also made partnership deals with other organizations to stream live events including Gladiator Challenge and Fury Fighting Championships (FFC is out of Brazil).

3X3 minute rounds are used in a lot of cases for fighters who don't have a lot of pro experience. EliteXC even has 3X3 minute round fights in some of their preliminary bout. Also every women's bout I've seen thus far has been 3X3 minute rounds.

3X5 and 5X5 are standard rules set forth by New Jersey and later Nevada but a lot of promotions make ajustments. The XFL show I watched from Tulsa on Saturday had 3X5 minute fights and 3X4 minute fights. Championship fights were 3X5 minutes and so were a select few non-championship fights including the main event.

What was interesting was that in all of the fights that were 3X4 minutes, elbows weren't allowed but they were in all of the 3X5 minute fights.

In Japan, (and these are the rules that Dream used over the weekend), you have a round of 10 minutes followed by a round of 5 minutes. If the fight goes both rounds judges render a verdict based on who won the fight as a whole not who won each round.

A longer post than I meant for this subject but there's just some of the quirks that exist between different promotions and different areas of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks