What's new

UFC Ongoing Thread (2 Viewers)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Mirko Cro Cop to face kissing bandit at Dream 1.

If you don't know why I've nicknamed his opponent the kissing bandit, watch the Youtube video I linked.

This news makes me want to see Dream I more than I already did.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I don't ordinary link to press releases but I think this one is kind of cool.

NAMMAE announces creation of MMA hall-of-fame, intends to make Bruce Lee first inductee

If you don't know what the NAMMAE is, it is the North American MMA Expo and it is a pretty big event that a lot of the industry people attend. When I interviewed James Hergott of "Owned Entertainment" last December he talked about NAMMAE at length and what it did for his company and his new movie 'Owned'.

You can get more info on NAMMAE if you're remotely interested at NAMMAE.com
A full fledged MMA Hall of Fame is a long time in coming and will acknowledge the accomplishments of those who would for one reason or another never see the inside of the UFC Hall of Fame.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
The Sonnen-Filho match that was postponed earlier has been unpostponed and I should point out the fight was called off according to the story and then they reversed coarse. As opposed to being incorrectly reported as called off in the first place.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
All 32 cast members on TUF 7 are now known. That link will take you to my site which links Dave Meltzer's original Yahoo article, lists the names of the fighters with some of my own comments on certain quotes from the article.

But, if you don't care about what I've got to say on the subject you can click here for Dave's article directly.

I'll say this much, I'm definitely intrigued by this season because of the qualifying fights.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Is Fedor that good that everyone's making such a big deal? I can't say I've had the pleasure of seeing him fight so that's why I'm asking but this whole situation with the lawsuits make this guy look like a big deal.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Andres, Fedor is really, really good. A criticism is that he hasn't faced top competition since 2005 but everyone he has faced he has beaten. His only loss came due to blood loss in a fight he was winning at the time.

He's got wins over Mark Coleman, Cro Cop, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Heath Herring, though he never fought Josh Barnett in Pride.

Plenty of Fedor stuff can be found on Youtube.

Fedor really is a machine, that's about the best way I can think to describe him.

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
im sure they have some sort of physical tryout to go through if they cant prove they have fought before. or they have one hell of a personality and are just gonna be there for ratings

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I'm experiencing deja vu. I think I may have asked that question once before in this thread and Casey said it sometimes it has to do with recommendations from the camps they participate in. Like if Team Couture (well maybe not now, but in the past) recommends a guy, Dana might look at him even if he doesn't have the pro mma fights under his belt.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
A Heavyweight Bout for UFC 83

TUF is a lot like most other TV shows. They call for open auditions throughout the country and you can show up and try out. I believe that a workout of a few minutes per man is held at each audition. UFC has representatives on hand including Dana White, and maybe even some fighters. Then after the auditions are held they pair it down to a select number of finalists and they bring those people to Las Vegas for lengthy interviews. After that they pair the group down again to what is in this case the final 32.

Also, as was noted, guys are recommended by camps from time to time so some guys do gain an advantage that way.

ESPN wrote an article talking to guys at a UFC audition not all that long ago, and If I Remember, one of those guys made the TUF 7 cut. I'll hunt down the link and you can read for yourselves to get a better idea of what an audition is like.

Edit:
Happy reading and yes Amir Sadollah made the TUF 7 cut.

Also, when you read that article it might shed new light on the people that make it. Look at some of those who don't.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Chuck has said that in the past but at least in Chuck's case he isn't going to fake retire to do it.

I think Liddell will eventually end up a Heavyweight because as he's getting older, I'm sure weight cutting is even less fun.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Liddell a heavyweigth? That would really shake up that weight division.

Did you guys see the Tito Ortiz article in that same website? Once again he takes shots at Dana White in a not so subtle way.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
So I caught some of the MMA action on Showtime over the weekend. Is Cage Rage a different promotion than EliteXC?

I set my dvr to tape the show but for some strange reason it must have already started. I only saw the last round or so of the super heavyweight fight (meh), the featherweight championship fight (the champ - Inamari? - looks pretty tough), and the Ken Shamrock fight. I guess that ends the talk of Ken vs. Kimbo. He really didn't look too good out there, and at 44 I wonder if he should just go ahead and call it a day. I remember seeing speculation that they could be building to a Ken vs. Frank fight, but I think Frank would demolish him.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
2 new UFC bouts

James, Cage Rage and EliteXC are 2 different promotions, both of which are owned by ProElite Inc. Cage Rage is based in and exclusive to England. The 2 companies do exchange talent. The Cage Rage promotion was purchased by ProElite in 2007 along with: King of the Cage, Icon Sport and a few others.

Imanari is very good.

They are building to Ken Vs. Frank which will do huge business regardless of how many fights Ken loses between now and then because both guys know how to hype a fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks