What's new

Twilight Zone - The COMPLETE Definitive Collection (28-Disc Set)? (1 Viewer)

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
And as someone on the HTF told me and I later confirmed, the Blu rays restore TZ's final-season sponsor tags in the end credits in the episodes that originally had them. I think the DVDs had only one or two episodes with sponsor logos.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
What do people think of Rod Serling’s other anthology series, Night Gallery? I’d only read about it in Marc Scott Zicree’s fabulous Twilight Zone Companion book and despite the author’s mixed feelings on the series, it sounded intriguing!

My only exposure to it was A&E’s repeated broadcasts of the pilot telefilm in the ‘90s. It wasn’t until Universal released S1 on DVD in the mid ‘00s that I finally got to watch the series (although it took nearly a decade for all three seasons to be released on DVD), which I enjoyed, as I have a fondness for ‘70s TV horror, thanks to Carl Kolchak and Dan Curtis’ memorable telefilms.

It’s not as consistent as TZ’s first three seasons and doesn’t benefit from Serling’s control, but despite the goofy comedy vignettes between stories, I still enjoy it. I really need to upgrade to Kino’s acclaimed Blu-ray releases!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
NIGHT GALLERY had its moments, but overall, it just has that '70s NBC look about it. I can't describe what that is very well, but it starts with the shaggy hair styles of that decade. I faithfully bought the DVD sets as they appeared, but I don't think I personally need to own the Blu-rays. I don't look at those very much, but am happy to at least have them.

I've even tried turning off the color to make it more Twilight Zone-ish, but the color film and lighting doesn't resolve as well in black & white.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Night Gallery is no Twilight Zone, but it's worth it for the scattered gems. The first story in the first episode (not the pilot movie), "The Dead Man", just completely freaked the shit out of me back when I first saw it in 1970.

You need to avoid watching the syndicated versions of the episodes (which hopefully have gone the way of the dinosaurs by now) though. Universal cut down some stories and lengthened others, as was also done (by CBS, not Universal) with the 80s Twilight Zone in syndication. To increase the amount of episodes, they included some severely-edited -- from hour-long episodes to half-hours -- some episodes of a different series, The Sixth Sense -- including eliminating all scenes with the main character, played by Gary Collins.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks