Trying to find a movie (?) which aired on The Disney Channel in the early 80s...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MarcoBiscotti, Apr 26, 2006.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I think I posted a thread like this before and the conclusion was that I was looking for the Elfego Baco series, which is NOT it!

Unfortunately my memories of this show were very vague so I'll try my best to offer a description...

The setting (of at least a significant portion of the film) took place in a small colonial town which I assume wouldve been set in the late 1800s.

I'm pretty certain it was a swashbuckler movie, and one of the main leads was made to closely resemble a Douglas Fairbanks character in appearance.

What I recall most was what seemed to be a siege on this town, in which there were large ships in the background firing cannons and buccaneers fending off one another by sword, musket and flintlock pistols.

I also remember another scene, where the two leading male characters were in a prison cell somewhere and got into a brawl, throwing punches and rolling around the floor.

That's really all I remember of the movie..

It looked like it must've been a 1950's production, and it was quite elaborate for a TV production. But than Disney was known for that.

If anybody could help me figure out what this could've been, I'd be really appreciative!

2. Antonio S

Antonio S Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm... Hope someone comes to your aid. The scenario seeme a bit like a Horatio Hornblower series that was well done (imo). However I don't recall a Fairbanks type charactor.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Antonio.

I should point out, that from what I've seen and remember, the movie/series seemed to have been more land-based with the surrounding waters serving only as a backdrop for the action to come. I don't recall any adventures on the seas. It seemed to be more focused on the town and it's inhabitants. Particularly this one character whom I mentioned above in very little detail, and a woman who I think was in love with. Than there was this other male character who I mentioned got into a fight in the prison cell. I should also note that it was a color production, and all the characters were dressed in brown buccaneer costumes with the open chested puffy shirts, etc. I also seem to recall there might've been some sort of infantry fighting as well. I could be completely off, but I seem to remember men dressed in what could've either been red or blue uniforms with Napoleanesque hats shooting pistols, all the while cannonballs firing in the background, men fighting each other with swords, large explosions, etc.

4. Brett*H

Brett*H Stunt Coordinator

5. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I thought of that after reading some reviews online, but it doesn't seem to be that either Brett...

6. Brett*H

Darn it! lol Now you've got ME wondering! I remember a lot of shows along this vein and have seen plenty of them on the old "Wonderful World of Disney" which aired on Sunday nights but I gotta confess that I'm stumped. Guess I'll have to undertake a massive internet search!

7. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

It's not the mini-series "Return to Treasure Island" is it? Or the original 1950s Disney film?

Have you tried looking at UltimateDisney.com?

8. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

9. Brett*H

10. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

"Sword and the Rose" was a movie about knights, so no, that ain't it. It sounds to me like Johnny Tremain.

11. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

You guys are awesome -- but this is a huge mystery to me!!

It's definitely not Johnny Tremaine from the reviews and descriptions Ive seen, I'm sure of that!

From titles alone, I can also verify that it was not The Prince And The Pauper nor The Fighting Prince. It was also certainly not Dr. Syn!

I'm completely lost... but I will try to locate my old video tape recording from the Disney Channel in which this program accidentally cuts in between shows for aaprox. 10-12 minutes and see what else I can bring up.

Perhaps it is Treasure Island..?

I doubt it though.. Ive never heard of the series before!

12. Elena S

Elena S Supporting Actor

Marco, have you been to www.imdb.com? Type in "Wonderful World of Color." All the seasons come up onscreen, and you can click on each year to see episode titles. If you see one that looks like it could be the one you're searching for, click on it to read the synopsis.

Hope this helps you find that elusive show!

13. Antonio S

Antonio S Stunt Coordinator

Sharpe's Rifles, Sharpe's Revenge, etc.?
    Not Disney, but PBS. Very well acted and outfitted Napoleanic era series.
    May be available in DVD.