What's new

Tracking Direct -to-Video Releases (1 Viewer)

Ron Gilbert

Stunt Coordinator
While I was in the video store this weekend, I realized that as far as mainstream releases go, there was absolutely nothing that I really wanted to see. But for a while now, I've been wanting to check out some of the direct-to-video releases, being fully aware that the quality can be iffy. Partly because so few of these titles are on DVD, and partly because of the sheer number of them, I've never really taken a chance on them like I should have. But it got me wondering if there were any sites that actually kept track of, or reviewed these videos on a regular basis. And, of course, if the HTF'ers had any recommendations on movies to seek out.

And as an aside, while I see these movies in video chains, I rarely see them on sale in places like Suncoast or Best Buy (And I may not be looking hard enough). Only a handful make it to cable, and since even B and C list actors need to get paid, how do companies make their money on these films?

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I don't know any websites that keep track of all of the DTV movies that come out, but I can recommend some to you, if you'd like. Of course, everyone's tastes may vary, and you probably won't like any of the movies I recommend to you, but here are my recommendations:

Dead Hate The Living

Crocodile

Shrieker

Castle Freak

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Only a handful make it to cable, and since even B and C list actors need to get paid, how do companies make their money on these films?
Usually video rentals and sales. Most direct-to-video releases are done on low budgets (like Roger Corman films :)). Then others were films that didn't qualify to get a theatrical release (for either no interest in the title or the movie sucked... and it's a shame, cause there are some good films out there that go direct-to-video... like 100 Girls).
Some direct-to-video releases will make it to Suncoast, Best Buy, etc. (mostly releases from New Line and Lions Gate Home Entertainment [they're the worst offender of releasing good movies the direct-to-video route now of days]), but others you'll just have to catch at Blockbuster.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I used to be a fan of the "Full Moon Entertainment" horror/sci-fi direct-to-video releases, a couple of which Mitch mentioned above ("Shrieker" and "Castle Freak"). They also did the "Puppet Master" series about killer puppets, "Subspecies" series about vampires in Romania, "Demonic Toys," "Vampire Journals," "Trancers," and a slate of others. Very cheap and cheesy, but fun if you're in the right mood.
I sort of fell out of the habit of renting them once I got DVD since they're all VHS in the rental shops, so I'm not sure what they've done lately, though I'd heard a new "Subspecies" movie was due (the fifth) and think they've started a couple other new series.
You can find some direct-to-video horror/sci-fi reviews at the Cold Fusion Video site

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks