What's new

TPM - lightning fast Jedi (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Apologies if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it. Early in TPM, having survived the gas and 'basic' droid attack, the two Jedi are faced with droids with protective shields. One of them says 'this is a stand-off' and they run off. However, the speed at which they run off looks totally unnatural (this is difficult to describe, but it looks as if someone put picures of the Jedi on a transparent sheet and then simply pulled them out of shot). Very soon afterwards, there is a long shot of the docking bay and we see the Jedi slide down a chute - again, it appears unnaturally fast. Has anyone else noticed this, and is there an explanation?
[Oh yes - before anyone says 'ah yes, the perils of R2 speed-up', it should be said that I have a R1 copy].

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
This is the way it was in the theater!
NOT a DVD clitch.
------------------

mark_d

Second Unit
It's a "force run" type thing. Quick burst of emergency speed. No reason they shouldn't be able to do this given that they could, apparently, leap tall buildings in a single bound :)
I like it.
Mark

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Hey, has anyone noticed that some parts of The Matrix look kind of green?
And what's with the port shots in Titanic being so bright?
biggrin.gif

------------------
-J.Fo
"Why do I always get a warped one?"

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah... it's the Force Run, and it's a cool concept. Of course I never understood why Obi-Wan didn't use it on the Generator room to catch up with Qui-Gon and Darth Maul, instead of getting stuck behind...
Silly Obi-Wan :)
------------------
Frank
frank.jpg

DVD Collection | Website

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
As Yoda put it - "a Jedi's strength flows from the force". So needless to say they should be stronger and faster than the average guy, thus things like force run and jump etc follows naturally.
------------------
/Kimmo

mark_d

Second Unit
I guess this may end up being pushed to Movies, but I figured he didn't force run for two possible reasons - he'd just survived a rather hefty fall and subsequently had to do a massive force jump to get back into the fight. Maybe he needed a little time to recuperate?
Also, maybe his force-brake skills weren't so hot and if he massively accellerated and those laser-walls came back on... one toasty Obi Wan.
Mark

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
As Yoda put it - "a Jedi's strength flows from the force". So needless to say they should be stronger and faster than the average guy, thus things like force run and jump etc follows naturally.
That confirms my suspicions -- Michael Jordan is a Jedi Knight. Damn stupid midichlorians!
wink.gif

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Something like Borg nanites but non-robotic.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
It's not a glitch. I am changing the title of the thread and moving it to the Movies discussion area.
- Steve

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info guys, though I've got to say that it doesn't look very convincing to me, and there's no reason why the following scene where they drop into the docking bay should look so odd (what's that? - the Force fall?).

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
and there's no reason why the following scene where they drop into the docking bay should look so odd (what's that? - the Force fall?).
I noticed the Jedi falling looked odd to me too, ever since I first saw it theatrically. My guess is that the Jedi falling are actually CGI instead of actors.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I recall the "force run" being an element one could adopt in the old Super Nintendo Star Wars Trilogy games. It was funny watching TPM for the first time thinking "oh, they actually did it"....
Dan (UK)

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
See, it absolutely amazes me what the Jedi did and didn't do in TPM.
Did do:
Run real fast
jump real high
grab lightsabre
cheat at gambling
make friends and influence people
Didn't do:
get out of genuinely bad situations.
"Master! Destroyer droids!"
"Pick them up, point them in the opposite direction, walk up to them, and cut them in half, my young padawan."
"Shut the blast doors!"
"I can't! Somebody's controlling my mind!"
and so on.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I rewatched the appropriate section and I think what is unconvincing for me is the run and drop scenes being together. The 'Force run' would be slightly more convincing if it weren't for the not very convincing drop scene which follows straight afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks