Tower Speaker on a $1000-$1200 budget

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by systemdesignz, Jun 23, 2009.

1. systemdesignz

systemdesignz Auditioning

I'm looking for a set of tower speakers with built in 8" or 10" powered subwoofers and with solid midrange/midbass. I have a $1000-$1200 budget and I will be powering them with this receiver a Denon AVR 790. http://m.nextag.com/Denon-AVR790-7-1.../m/prices-html

2. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    Josh,

Just curious... Why must they have powered sub in the tower?

3. systemdesignz

systemdesignz Auditioning

Actually they wouldn't necesarily have to have a powered sub in each tower. If I could do a set of towers and external powered sub for around $1500 I'd be happy. I have been looking at the Polk LSi15 and LSi25 on ebay. Also I have been speaking with someone from another forum about building me a set with seas magnesium midranges, Dayton subwoofers and Dayton amplifiers.

4. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    It is easier to place a subwoofer for good bass. Towers with powered subs are not flexible - the best place for good imaging is not always the best place for good bass. A separate sub is usually a good idea.

Have a look at SVS subwoofers. Perhaps the PC12-NSD or above plus some really nice bookshelves would work for you. You could add the Polks you like or get something like these: Bookshelf Speakers - M22 v2 - Axiom Audio.

Or, better yet... Go listen to speakers at a local shop and see what you like. For $1500 you can get towers that go low enough for music (40-50 hz) without the powered woofers. The Axiom M60's & M80's and the SVS MTS-01's are good examples.

5. Livestrong

Livestrong Agent

I have an SVS sub (PB12 Plus) as well as SCS-01's for my fronts, center, and surrounds; this setup sounds great. If you have any questions regarding their products, I would email them or call and ask for Mason.