What's new

Need help finding speakers for around $1000 (1 Viewer)

DaveD'

Stunt Coordinator
Just want to start off by saying that I did read that other thread about the guy wanting a $1k setup, but his included a received and dvd player. Anyway, I'm starting to get back into home theater. I just purchased a Panasonic PTL200(200u) projector to replace my Zenith 25" as the center of my home theater. Now I'd like to replace my current speaker setup that I "ebayed" together as a teenager years ago. It consists of:
Receiver - Pioneer VSX-D509S(keeping)
DVD - Toshiba SD-3109(keeping)
Center - Jensen(did't feel like pulling it out to check model # :))
Fronts - Sanyo SS-340 towers(got for free, gotta be around 15+ years old)
Surrounds - Sony SS-MB105

I never bought a sub. I didn't have much money at the time, and the fronts do a pretty good job.

Ok, so that's what I currently have. They fill the room with sound and sound pretty decent to me, but not when I listen to some stores speakers and hear the crisper highs and deeper undistorted lows. For my new setup I'd like to spend around $1200 for the 5 speakers and sub. Oh, and the theater area of the room is about 12'x12', 15'x12' if you count the open staircase and another side has a small space(wouldn't call it a hallway) leading to other rooms. Yeah, not the best place for a theater, but it works.

I checked out the Polk R50 towers at Circuit City the other day and thought they were really nice. I checked Polk's site for their recommended speakers to match these and came up with this(prices I estimated off ebay minus shipping).
Polk R50's - $330 buy it now's
Polk R20's - didn't find any, Polk's site says $114 each, so that's probably around $160 for the pair on ebay)
Polk CSi30 - $140~
Polk PSW505 - $399 buy it now(only one found)
or
Polk PSW404 - $275~

Shipping was about $160 total. So that's $1189~ with the 505 or $1065~ with 404. So what do you think? Are those pretty nice speakers for my budget, or am I way off? btw...thanks for reading my ramblings, it started as a 5 line post. :D

Tim - W

Grip
Keep in mind that if you buy the polks right now from a dealer and spend more than $499, you can get a free subwoofer PSW202 or get $200 towards a free subwoofer.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
You might check out the Rocket ELT package for $900. Ask the guys at AV123 how much more it would cost to substitute their UFW-10 for the ELT subwoofer. Or keep the ELT sub and save some money.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I will second Lew's comments about the ELT package that www.av123.com is selling. IMO it is hands down the winner in the under 1K category for both performance and finish! Good luck with your decision! :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks