What's new

Toshiba HD-DVD player audio issues (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have been planning on purchasing a Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player next month. Last week I picked up Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow and it includes an DTS-HD track. I was concerned weather the player would pass the DTS-HD data to an external processor. I am planning on upgrading my old Yamaha RX-V995 next year so I wanted to make sure the player would pass that data stream to an external source.

So I called Toshiba's customer service line and was transfered twice, and finally talked to someone in the HD department. All three people where very plesent and polite. But I never really got a straight answer about if the player could deal with the DTS-HD data. I was told that there was some audio issues with the player that are being addressed and that future updates should take care of it. It would be nice to call a company and get a straight answer and not guess work. The guy in the HD department could not tell me for sure if there HD-DVD player would output the DTS-HD data.

I am still going to buy this player so I hope that there will be no problems regarding HD-DVD discs encoded with DTS-HD. :frowning:

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Dave - to my knowledge, there are no receivers out yet that are capable of decoding DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD at this time. According to Toshiba's website, the HD-A1 player is capable of decoding both formats, though it doesn't appear to offer full Dolby TrueHD support.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/product.asp?model=hd-a1

Built-in Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS and DTS-HD Decoders
Dolby True HD Compatible (2 Channel)

http://www.hdmi.org/resourcecenter/hdmi_1_3_faq.asp

"According to announcements by manufacturers, new high-definition DVD formats (HD-DVD and Blu-ray) and game machines (including the Sony PLAYSTATION® 3) will make use of capabilities added in HDMI 1.3. Digital televisions will be able to present images that are closer to real life than previously has been possible. These will include LCD TVs, plasma displays and rear projection microdisplays. The PS3 which is scheduled to ship in November 2006, will be the first source product to provide such high quality imagery to these displays. It is expected that hi-def DVD players will follow early in 2007 with HDMI 1.3 support. A/V Receivers that can decode DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD will start to show up early in 2007 as well. Please check with the manufacturers for details."

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
You are correct Alon there are no recievers or preamp processors that can decode DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby True HD. I actually have emailed a few companies about when we could exspect processors in there products that could process the new surround formats.

Denon - Basically said they are still looking into it, maybe sometime down the road?

Adcom - Informed me that Cirrus had just released engineering samples of the next generation DSP's for use in surround processors and AV receivers that will auto detect and decode the new formats. They said that larger companies would most likely have product available before Adcom. I sounded like Adcom might have product available between 14-months to
24-months out.

Marantz - Said that they are currently in the process of launching an entirely new line of products in Sept. None of those will include DTS HD or DD HD as the chipsets are not available. And that the Sony Blu-ray player would decode these formats and that they could then be sent to there reciever via 7.1 analog inputs.

I am suprised that Denon is not jumping on board and offering product right away. They are not even acting like they will be offering the decoding of new formats in any of there upcoming products.

It is nice to see that there are other companies that will be offering decoding products for the new surround formats. I was not aware that the Toshiba HD-DVD player could decode the DTS-HD format. The individual at Toshiba gave me the impression that that player would not decode DTS-HD. I can not wait to have the ability to play back all the new formats and have 7 channel capability in my own HT.

25 days till Toshiba HD-DVD player is purchased :D

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
It is has been strongly hinted that in the near future a firmware upgrade will allow the Toshiba to decode full Dolby TrueHD. I'm not sure how DTS HD factors in either way.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Sean, I have heard the same. Firmware version 2.0 to be exact. No date at this point however.

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator

Rock on!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I can't wait for that update to come out as I will most likely allready have my HD-DVD player by then. Will be paying it off on September 1st and will have a HD viewing fest that Monday and Tuesday. I should have at least 9 titles to enjoy the day I bring the player home. I am really looking foward to enjoying HD-DVD in my home and will wait and see what happens with Blu-ray.

I am also really looking foward to having the player decode Dolby True HD so I can hear it for myself.

Yamaha RX-V995 Reciever
Sony DVP-S9000 ES DVD/SACD Player
Denon DVD-2200 DVD/DVD-A/SACD Player
Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player: Coming Son
Altec Lancing Voice Of The Theater A-7's
Sony 50" LCD HDTV - planning to upgrade to 1080p projector w/120" screen

MMMM HD goodness
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Pete T C

Second Unit
AFAIK "Sky Captain" has a misprint on the back - while the audio is listed as DTS-HD, I believe the disc only has Standard DTS encoded on it; meaning you will get a better experience with the Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 soundtrack on the same HD DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks