What's new

Toshiba HD-XA2 audio issues (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Tried to watch my HD-DVD of Swordfish today and this was the first time I have had audio issues with this player. It is intermittent and will start and stop but I get static like sound in my surrounds and have changed out the player to my 1st generation player which I could not get a picture via HDMI. I changed the HDMI input the player was connected to and still the issue persisted. I changed the HDMI cable and still the issue persisted. Powered up the blu-ray player and no audio issues on the blu-ray HDMI or the DVD HDMI that I was using. But the HD-DVD player still has issues and no static sound comes from the front channels. I was not having this issue the last movie I played through this player.

20181205_141325a.jpg

Other issues that may or may not be related or may or may not be contributing?

Volume on 4K TV will not raise or lower, it is stuck! I can not even mute the sound on the tv!
A few times the tv will drop HDMI and switch to another HDMI input. Problem is HDMI 3 is the only cable hooked up!

I wonder if HDMI issues with the TV can be causing this issue? When I had my Pioneer Elite SC-05 hooked up, if I powered the receiver on the audio did not cut out and I had to manually select digital out. After getting the Marantz SR-8012 once I power that receiver on the audio automatically cuts on the tv once the receiver powers on. Once the receiver is off the audio comes back at the usual volume and will not go up or down and will not mute!

This problem is driving me crazy!

Picture looks fine but audio goes nuts on the surround channels!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I suppose there's a slim chance it could be HD-DVD rot. Have you tried a disc other than Swordfish?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Yes and same thing! I am wondering if it is a HDMI handshake compatibility issue. Am going to hook up the player with component video and SPDIF and see how that works. The only problem with that is I do not even think that will pass Dolby Digital Plus and defiantly will not pass Dolby True HD. I want to get to the point where I can phase the HD-DVD player out of the rack and be done with that format. Would love to get to the point where I only have blu-ray movies and 4K blu-rays. But right now I have DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray and 4K blu-ray and even some movies on laser disc. I would think if it was HD-DVD rot that the picture would also be affected but it is just the sound and it seems to be random and doesn't happen in the same spot.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Been busy all week so ether after work or on my day off I will see if I can run video via HDMI and audio via optical and if that will not work. Then I will just use the component video with optical digital and call it a day!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Removed the HDMI cable and replaced it with component video and a tributary optical cable and all is well. My Marantz SR-8012 is receiving 1080 component video and sending it out to the display at 4K UHD resolution. From what I can tell the problem most likely may have been a HDCP handshake issue with the older player via HDMI. Hope to start replacing and upgrading HD-DVD titles to blu-ray starting sometime next year then if possible phase the format out in my home theater.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Luckily, I only had a handful of HD-DVD titles to replace (about 20 or so) with their Blu-ray counterparts when my HD-A1 went kaput. I still have some DVDs where there isn’t a Blu-ray available but 95% of my collection is Blu-ray now. My eyes can’t see the difference between 2k and 4K so I’m staying put, format-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks