HTF HD-DVD Review: Beowulf Director's Cut.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by PatWahlquist, Feb 22, 2008.

1. PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

Web enabled features: when you put the disc in it will do a quick check of your online connectivity, then you can go into the menu for this content. It’s pretty basic stuff such as bio’s of the actors and Zemeckis. A second choice tells you small snippets about the production, motion capture technology, story writing, etc. I had no problem accessing this content, so the HD-DVD group finally smoothes out this technology only to go away.

The rest of the bonus material is on Disc Two under the heading Heroes Journey: The Making of Beowulf.

The Journey Continues (21:14): broken up into ten parts you can watch together or separately. We see the 25’x25’ cube that captures the shooting stage and details the sensors put on the actors. It goes into further detail about how they realized props, how they scanned the actor’s faces, the texturing process, stunt captures, etc. There are parts on the storyboards and how they translate into pre-visualization and just how cold the cube could be.

Beasts of Burden: Designing the Creatures of Beowulf (6:55): the crew and cast explain how CG was the best way to realize Grendel, a creature of deformations and pain. This part shows off how much Crispin Glover brought to the character of Grendel. They also go on to explain how Angelina Jolie was the only living actor who could bring out the sultriness of Grendel’s mother.

The Origins of Beowulf (5:13): Avary, Gaiman, Zemeckis and others discuss the story of Beowulf, the translation to the screen and it’s legacy into such stories as King Arthur and Star Wars. They explain and justify their changes to the story to maintain dramatic unity and hypothesize to the identity of Grendel’s father.

Creating the Ultimate Beowulf (1:58): Zemeckis, Production Designer Doug Chiang Ray Winstone discuss how motion capture allows the character to drive the actor without being constrained to the exact physical aspects of each.

The Art of Beowulf (5:24): Zemeckis, Gaiman and Chiang talk about the production design and the lighting of the scenes.

A Conversation with Robert Zemeckis (10:19): Zemeckis sat down with USC students to answer questions after the first showing of the 3D Beowulf. He discusses why he wanted to do this story, his thoughts on motion capture, length of production, how this process frees him as a director, how this technology may change storytelling, and more.

Deleted Scenes (13:13): eleven pre-viz representations of cut scenes with voices and other temporary soundtrack items.

Theatrical Trailer

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Thanks for the review! Would you say those of us who love Pixar cartoony CG but are freaked out by the "Uncanny Valley" as seen in creepy CG like the Polar Express will find the animation favorable or not so much?

Uncanny valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Sam

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I was very impressed by it in theaters, and i had really not liked the look of The Polar Express. It's still not quite "real", but I don't know if that should necessarily be the goal of an animated movie.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    This was more real looking than Polar Express maybe more along the lines of Final Fantasy. Looked and sounded great (Transfer wise).

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    K, sounds like maybe a rental at least for me then! If I can find it BOGOd or better will pick it up. Thanks!

6. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter
    Supporter

FYI for those near a Fry's Electronics... Fry's has Beowulf HD DVD advertised for $24.99 available Tuesday. It might be for just one day so go get 'em! [​IMG]

Mark