What's new

Toshiba 40H80 reduced price at Best Buy - new model out soon? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I looked at the Toshiba 40H80 at Best Buy last Monday, it was $2199. I went back yesterday, it was down $200, to $1999. Is there a new model coming out soon, if so when? Do you think the 40H80 or an equivalent will still be around in September/October for about $2K?
/Mike

Craig

Second Unit
The new Panasonic 47" widescreen, due out sometime in June, is supposed to have a list price of $1999, street price will no doubt be less. I think the prices will continue to fall on widescreen TVs. You should have no trouble getting one for under $2000 in a few months.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Then there's the rumor that Toshiba will be coming out with a set to fill the gap between their 40" and 56" sets, sized somewhere between 47"-50". Toshiba, Panasonic, Mitsubishi (Pioneer doesn't have one this size, right?) all in the same size range can only mean better quality and lower prices.
------------------

Peter Finlay

Auditioning
I think the $1999 price for the 47" panasonic is the street price. This forces all the other RPTV prices to come down.

PhilipW

Second Unit
Actually, Pioneer has a non-Elite 53" SD-532HD that I've seen advertised for $2999.
Of course I got mine for $2499 a couple of months ago when Samsclub.com had them on sale
wink.gif

------------------

Brian Glaeske

Stunt Coordinator
BestBuy (and everyone else) probably had a 250% markup over cost when they first got them.
BB is rumored to have purchased a large quantity of these sets from Toshiba. Even assuming that they are selling real well, BB probably still has a large inventory of them to reduce before reporting earnings for the quarter.
------------------

JasonZ

Agent
i bought mine 2 weeks ago and it was delivered this morning. it seems that i am one of the fortunate ones to get a good unit, nothing appears to be wrong (and hopefully will stay that way). it does appear that the geometry is a bit off (looks like the screen just needs to be scrolled down) but i think i can fix that later with the 64 pt. convergence procedure.
anyway, my point, i paid $1900 for mine and the only reason i picked it up is because tweeter gives 60 day price protection. this way when the price goes down (and i believe it will) i won't be kicking myself. if you are in the market for this set, i recommend you try and get a similar deal.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Well, I can tell you for certain that there will be no 40" widescreen in the 2001/2002 model lineup.
eek.gif

------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
JasonZ, always read the fine print! At least at Canada's Future Shop, a manufacturer price drop does not qualify for price protection.
------------------
John Golitsis

I almost bought one of these babies yesterday at the local Best Buy, but they were out of stock. The display model was playing the HD demo loop in black and white only, not the color display showing on all the other sets. Any ideas what would have caused this because, of course, the sales guy was clueless.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Chris, must be loose cables. Sounds like only the 'Y' connection was making contact.
------------------
John Golitsis

Nathan_H

Second Unit
That said, you really don't want to get a floor model RPTV that has been running in "torch mode" for months, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks