What's new
World Wide Stereo

Top bar of widescreen movies is curved.... (1 Viewer)

Matt*B

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

I have a question. I was watching LOTR on an 8 year old Hitachi 36" tv last night via a DVD player with and S-video connection. The picture was beautiful -- however, i noticed that the bottom of the top bar was kinda curved. At first i thought it may be the shape of the TV (curved glass as opposed to flat) -- but i watch movies on non-flat tv's all the time but have never really noticed this problem at all. Is this something that can be fixed via adjustments or calibration of the tv (i would assume it has nothing to do with the dvd player). Movies with smaller widescreen bars still have a slight curve. It's weird though, i don't really see distortion in the movie picture, just the top bar. I have the THX optimizer if this will help.... Maybe i am just not used to a tv this big with out being flat -- please let me know....

Thanks,

M

728x90

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Not sure if you're going to be able to get rid of that slight curve on a non-flat 36" direct-view.

Think that's why the industry switched to flat tubes.

Another issue is figuring out how to get into the Service Menu on an 8 year-old TV.

Since this is an older TV and limited to S-Video, I wouldn't bother.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Matt, play that disc again and this time rise slightly from your seat to put your eyes on the same level as the top of the letterbox: It might appear flat from that perspective.

Bowing is inherent to a traditional curved tube, meaning that straight-line images have to contour against the picture tube.

On the other hand, you may very well have geometry issues that need correcting from the service menu. An authorized Hitachi service technician could pay you a visit to fix the problem.

Johnny_M

Second Unit
save your money, i would find out how to enter the service menu on your model and make the adjustments yourself. if you screw it up, then pay someone to fix it, but it only took me a couple hours to figure out what i was doing and fix mine. i had a bow on the left side of the screen which drove me crazy. you only notice the problems with the black bars because they are straight, the rest of the screen is constantly moving so you will never see the problem. if you have direct tv like i do, you also notice the problem in the guide menu.

Johnny

Steven_Jobe

Stunt Coordinator
That happens to me on my 36" Toshiba Flatscreen HDTV as well, no matter what input I'm using.

Steven_Jobe

Stunt Coordinator
That happens to me on my 36" Toshiba Flatscreen HDTV as well, no matter what input I'm using.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Geometry problems are common on CRT displays, and difficult or impossible to get as "perfect" as a fixed-pixel device. If it's bothersome, adjust your geometry settings to make it better, if those adjustments are available.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Geometry problems are common on CRT displays, and difficult or impossible to get as "perfect" as a fixed-pixel device. If it's bothersome, adjust your geometry settings to make it better, if those adjustments are available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eliedisdisusa
Recent bookmarks