What's new

International To Each His Own - Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I know Spain is a hotbed for bootleg releases, but earlier this year Universal in Spain released a Blu-ray of To Each His Own starring the late Olivia de Havilland in an Oscar winning performance.

My copy just arrived and I've spot checked a few scenes... it's gorgeous! I believe it's streaming in HD on Peacock and I'm assuming it's the same master (Peacock isn't available here in Canada so I can't check).

We've been fortunate to get several of Olivia's finest performances on Blu-ray in the last year or so, and I'm very happy to add To Each His Own to my collection.

1599255695887.png

1599255708996.png

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
I know Spain is a hotbed for bootleg releases, but earlier this year Universal in Spain released a Blu-ray of To Each His Own starring the late Olivia de Havilland in an Oscar winning performance.

My copy just arrived and I've spot checked a few scenes... it's gorgeous! I believe it's streaming in HD on Peacock and I'm assuming it's the same master (Peacock isn't available here in Canada so I can't check).

We've been fortunate to get several of Olivia's finest performances on Blu-ray in the last year or so, and I'm very happy to add To Each His Own to my collection.

The master used in Peacockis an old one, full of specks and marks. Good to know the bluray might be sourced from a different master.

I will definitely buy it!

Thank you for the feedback!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I assume (unlike so many French blu rays) that the Spanish subtitles are optional?

philip*eric

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
philip jaeger
I love this film and Olivia does give a wonderful, heartfelt performance. Just ordered from Amazon.es at $23.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Andrew:

Many thanks for this. I did see this a week or so ago and assumed it was just another Spanish bootleg. Now you've set us straight, I'll buy the disc.

GNR092789

Auditioning
Real Name
Dylan
Sorry if this disappointed anyone, but I have this release, and I would not say it is gorgeous. It is indeed the same master as Peacock. It's decent/solid. I'm happy with the release because the film is amazing, but as far as video quality is concerned, it's middle of the road. A dated master with plenty of specks and middling sharpness. It seems like it's a little DNRed, or even a 720p upscale (it probably isn't the latter, but I'm just trying to give a frame of reference). Definitely better than any DVD is capable of though. Just don't get your hopes too high :)

Oh and the cover art is horribly amateur. It seems like they took a low resolution poster from Google and slapped it on the cover. The photo presented above is exactly how it looks.

I do recommend the release because it's certainly adequate and the best we currently have available for such a gem.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
They must luv this movie in Europe as there was previously a legit DVD. There is an NTSC MOD DVD advertised on Ebay (with 72 sold) and the seller claims to have the rights to sell the DVD! In that case we may never see a legit Region A Blu-ray release, pity, there's obviously demand for it.

GNR092789

Auditioning
Real Name
Dylan
Yeah, but I don't believe it. He has a few other movies on there (oddly, mostly Alan Ladd titles) that have official releases by studios/labels like Universal, Arrow & Shout, for example, that he also claims he has permission to sell. Calling BS.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Sorry if this disappointed anyone, but I have this release, and I would not say it is gorgeous. It is indeed the same master as Peacock. It's decent/solid. I'm happy with the release because the film is amazing, but as far as video quality is concerned, it's middle of the road. A dated master with plenty of specks and middling sharpness. It seems like it's a little DNRed, or even a 720p upscale (it probably isn't the latter, but I'm just trying to give a frame of reference). Definitely better than any DVD is capable of though. Just don't get your hopes too high :)

Oh and the cover art is horribly amateur. It seems like they took a low resolution poster from Google and slapped it on the cover. The photo presented above is exactly how it looks.

I do recommend the release because it's certainly adequate and the best we currently have available for such a gem.

I'm sorry you don't love this release as much as I do, and I hope no one that was potentially swayed to purchase it by my positive comments will be disappointed. Apologies in advance if that's the case. As you say, it's the best we release of this film we currently have, and I'm pleased to finally have it in my collection. :)

I assume (unlike so many French blu rays) that the Spanish subtitles are optional?

They are indeed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, but I don't believe it. He has a few other movies on there (oddly, mostly Alan Ladd titles) that have official releases by studios/labels like Universal, Arrow & Shout, for example, that he also claims he has permission to sell. Calling BS.
If it's the same guy that is selling the Alan Ladd version of "The Great Gatsby" then they're probably bootlegs.

GNR092789

Auditioning
Real Name
Dylan
I'm sorry you don't love this release as much as I do, and I hope no one that was potentially swayed to purchase it by my positive comments will be disappointed. Apologies in advance if that's the case. As you say, it's the best we release of this film we currently have, and I'm pleased to finally have it in my collection. :)

Didn't mean to cause any stir or anything :) Just was giving another point of view. Before I had bought it, someone told me it looked very good, just unrestored, so when I got it, I was slightly disappointed. Again, it looks fine— just pretty middle of the road. The film, however, is a masterpiece and like you, I am very glad to own it in such solid quality, as well. I do recommend everyone buy it, as well— just with tempered expectations :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I recorded the TCM rendition of the film on the DVR during Olivia de Havilland day, and I watched it tonight for the first time all the way through. I thought the print TCM showed looked very nice: sharp and clear with only a few specks and little digs here and there. Enjoyed the movie very much, and I appreciated Olivia aging realistically through the movie. Yes, there was some soap, but it was handled masterfully without being overdone which I appreciated. I'd eagerly buy a Blu-ray of the film if it were available at a reasonable cost.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I wonder what the 2009 copyright from Universal on the blu ray packaging means. Could that be the year the transfer is from? Its not the old copyright renewal notice from old copyright law which was changed in 1976 and only in the US. It could just be for the packaging . I liked the transfer that is used on Peacock. To my eyes the film has never looked as good on TV. I have never seen it in a movie house.

Here is a link to the Amazon site in Spain.

The negative review on Amazon was a complaint that the film was not dubbed into Spanish .

The blu ray cover is the same that Universal used for the DVD in Europe.
1599398701901.png

Last edited:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I picked this up a few weeks ago from Amazon Spain along with a blu-ray of DeMille's Northwest Mounted Police (official Universal release too), which for some reason was not released as a BD but as a DVD in the Elephant Films/Universal France recent DeMille batch. The To Each His Own is Region ABC (as is Northwest) so it should play fine anywhere. The cover art is exactly the same as the Julia Norris DVD Spain put out years ago which I also own. I hunted all over the Amazon Spain site for other treasures that Universal might have offered in blu-ray form there only. These, so far, are the only two. Dear God, I do hope they add some more soon. It's been a crappy year for classics around these parts, at least the ones I'd care to buy.

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
I picked this up a few weeks ago from Amazon Spain along with a blu-ray of DeMille's Northwest Mounted Police (official Universal release too), which for some reason was not released as a BD but as a DVD in the Elephant Films/Universal France recent DeMille batch. The To Each His Own is Region ABC (as is Northwest) so it should play fine anywhere. The cover art is exactly the same as the Julia Norris DVD Spain put out years ago which I also own. I hunted all over the Amazon Spain site for other treasures that Universal might have offered in blu-ray form there only. These, so far, are the only two. Dear God, I do hope they add some more soon. It's been a crappy year for classics around these parts, at least the ones I'd care to buy.
May you tell us how is the transfer for Northwest Mounted Police?

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
May you tell us how is the transfer for Northwest Mounted Police?

It certainly looks better than the DVD, nice sharp image to my eyes. Of course, I'm the guy who thought the HD broadcasts of Raintree Country looked wonderful. Now THAT would be a blu-ray I'd really care to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks