What's new

Titanic MKIII Kit (1 Viewer)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I have this sub in my room and have been switching between it and my Adire Alignment Tempest (with 250W plate amp).

It was the 15" 1000 Watt Titanic MKIII for $688 shipped from Parts Express, and the only assembly required is a few screws to mount the driver and amp. (It didn't even need directions)

The box is CNCed so it looks like your commercial subwoofer in a speckled texture matte/satin black finish. I believe it was spray painted by some type of spray gun because under a certain lighting in my garage I think I was barely able to see the strokes. Edges have a 1/4" rounded radius on the edges which fits nicely as does the dark black speaker grill that covers the entire front face. The driver looks similar to the tempest except the surround is rubber and a tad bit larger. (It also has a stylized Dayton "D" Logo on the dust cap) The amp face is pretty clean and doesn't come with speaker in/outs so you'll need an LFE output or Stereo RCA output from your receiver. The plate amp gets a nice flush mount and everything went into place nicely since the T-nuts were pre-installed and the holes were all pre drilled. The only tool I used was a phillips head screw driver and a hex key to mount the driver and amp.

The parametric EQ is pretty nice and works like a charm. You have 3 knobs which one adjusting the frequency between 18-80hz, the other adjusting the bandwidth from .1-1, and the other adjusting the level from (-14.5) to (6).

Low pass frequency is adjustable from 30 to 200hz.

Overall, I'd take this amplifier over my 250W plate amp anyday mostly because of the 1000 watt rating and PE EQ. The drawbacks is it doesn't have fully adjustable phase like my other one and is only compatable with 120V AC. At least the auto sensing works and the power up doesn't make a "pop" sound from the subwoofer.

Now I know that comparing a small sealed sub to a huge 214L vented isn't that fair but i'll comment on the differences I heard anyway.

Listening to your typical 200hz or less frequencies from the subs its really hard to tell. I actually ran frequencies into the subs starting at 500hz. This allowed the subs to play higher than normal where you could hear parts of vocals. The Dayton had much clearer mid bass and upper bass. Sounded tighter, not as loose and perhaps a bit more accurate than my Tempest especially at louder volumes. The Tempest at louder volumes with higher bass notes seems to sound blended or a tad muddy. This is where the Dayton won.

I believe the amplifier could have helped the dayton play louder bass in the 80hz and up region more cleanly. It could also be because the Dayton is sealed that it had a more tight sound. Perhaps because of the smaller sealed design, this Dayton sub was incable of playing the deep bass my tempest could play.

The Tempest was able to hit some nice room presurrizing notes during LOTR Twin tower scenes while I felt the Dayton lacked the super low notes, it had better quality bass in general.

The tempest has a looser sound that is airy yet not boomy. It hits each note well when you listen carefully and goes real deep so you can feel the air move your clothes. The Dayton had more impact, like I'd be able to feel it in my chest more with a little less deep extension. I'd describe the tempest as being more musical for string type bass and "Audiophile" bass while the Dayton is clearly better in cases of Home theater impact and rock music bass. The Tempest integrated better with the speakers I was testing it with which are the JBL S38s with upgraded crossovers.

Both subs have a similar sound and extension, it wasn't until I could switch between them that I could begin to hear the differences. They both have their different "styles" of vented low Q vs sealed higher Q.

If I had to choose, I'd want the deep extension/sound quality of the tempest, with the output capabilities of the Dayton. I guess that means I'd rather take the 1000 watt amp and use it on the Adire Alignment tempest and see if it makes the tempest better in every way.

I guess I'm not as much of a sealed sub fan as I thought. I like how the sound of a vented sub can fill the room with deep bass. Sealed didn't have the same presence or realism. This could be because the sealed sub isn't tuned low like the tempest and doesn't have any equalization to sound flat. I wonder if a Linkwitz transform would work well with the Dayton.

Anyways, Seeing how the Dayton gets louder than a tempest and sounds cleaner only doesn't have a smooth deep sound. I'd say it's worth the $688 price tag. I am sure it has more output than an SVS PB-1 because it has more clean output than my tempest. I just wish they offered a different alignment box with the sub for those that want a sound closer to the Adire Alignment Tempest. But not everyone can build a large MDF cabinet which is what makes the Dayton Kit worth every penny.

If any of you try this sub out, let me know your thoughts.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

Thanks for your review of the Dayton sub in comparison to your Tempest in the indicated alignment.

You've made a very good point. This is why lots of us have opted to skip plate amps and go with pro audio amps which, in most cases, can provide that extra amount of power that we're looking for.

It would still be interesting to see how the Dayton Titanic compares to the SVS PB1-ISD and PB2-ISD boxed subs. The Titanic falls between them when it comes to price.

Again, thanks for taking the time to provide this review. I learn a lot of good information from these reviews. :)

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Chris,

Nice review. I always liked the Titanic series drivers and appreciated a review on the new 15incher. I realize that PE redesigned the III series to be used in smaller enclosures, but it would have been nice if they would have redesign an enclosure specifically for the new 15incher. I have a Titanic II in a 102L sealed box that goes sub20hz.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

Very nice review! I just wanted to point out one thing. The 1000W rating for the sub amp is a peak rating, not RMS. I really wish PE would run some tests and post the RMS values as they are much more meaningful.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Oops, thanks Brian I wish it posted the RMS, I guess 1000 watts peak makes more sense. I thought that since their 250W plate amp was RMS that their 1000w plate amp was. Never even read the manual or details, just plugged and played. :)

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
This is confusing. PE advertises this amp as:

Power output: 512 watts RMS @ 8 ohms, 1024 watts RMS @ 4 ohms

Its part #300-808 if you care to see for yourself. Where did you find the peak rating? The owner's manual?

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
These had better be RMS values, because I just got done spending $300 on a 500w sub amp for my AV12, and I didn't spend the extra $150 for the Tracking Downconverter Class G topology.

Darren_T

Second Unit
Any verdict on whether the 1024 watts was RMS or Peak? I'm looking at either this or the 500 watt plate amp but will buy the 1000 watt if the numbers are actually peak.

Darren

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Nice write-up, Chris. :emoji_thumbsup:

Your observations in the 200-500 Hz region were interesting. I wonder of the Titanic would be a better choice if one were building a full range speaker and xo'ing the woofer at say 500 Hz to a midrange driver?

Otherwise, I would think most users would impose a low pass of around 80-100 Hz on either subwoofer, making the upper (200-500Hz) bass performance less critical.

There are certainly measureable differences in group delay and impulse response between a sealed and vented subwoofer, but I would imagine some of the perceived difference in "tightness" results from the deeper extension of the Adire Alignment Tempest. The deeper stuff has a longer decay and can sound looser in comparison. It would be interesting to impose a high pass on the Adire to mimic the natural sealed roll-off of the Titanic and then recompare the two.

And if the Titanic is indeed a high Q alignment, it probably has more emphasis than the Adire Aligned Tempest in the 35-40 Hz region, possibly contributing to more "punch".

Did you measure the FR of both subs under the same conditions?

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
One of the PE guys just recently responded to a similar amp power question in the DIY forum. His answer was that the 500W and 1000W amps are rated as RMS values in that the RMS value, rather than the peak sine wave values were measured and the amps can produce these levels without distortion.

He did comment that continuous tones at these levels would cause thermal shutdown but that this would not be an issue during normal use.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
How deep does the sub go? I have been looking at it with great interest, but have no idea about the specs!!!

I agree with your point about building a cabinet - I don't have the tools or skills to build a good box!

Desmond

Grip
Has anyone tried the smaller downversion of teh dayon kit? I mean the one with a 10" woofer?

I was wondering if it is a good deal for 350 USD.

-Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks