What's new

SVS PB12 vs ADIRE RIVA vs MKIII - Please help (1 Viewer)

Mike_Cif

Stunt Coordinator
12" TITANIC MKIII SUBWOOFER KIT
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-762

12" SVS PB12
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb12_isd.htm

12" Adire Riva
http://www.adireaudio.com/Merchant2/...gory_Code=1000

Trying to decide this bunch for my main theater. My goal is to keep things under $600, and obviously if I can find a great sub for less with close to the same quailty as a $600 sub I'd certainly look at it. Wondering which you think will provide, the deepest, and hopefully cleanest bass. I realize those two might not go together. I should also mention I do not want a 10" subwoofer, because I want the special sound I get with 12" Drivers. Also, if you feel there is another subwoofer I should throw into the list that would be great, it appears this $600 or lower market is a very LONG list, but hopefully I can find the gem.

Thanks so much!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Kyle here in recommending the Dharman over the Rava. Also, what special sound do you get from a 12" driver? Kyle's MRS-10 sub is roughly equivalent to the Rava in both extension and output but is much smaller than the Rava.

Eric C D

Second Unit

They're all gems. You need to find out what kind of gem you want, and realize they are all pretty.

good luck,

Max F

Second Unit
What's more important music or HT?

The SVS seems to get down lower for HT.

I would probably pass on the Titanic since many have complained about it's sound for music on the partexpress message board.

Mike_Cif

Stunt Coordinator

I'd say the gem i'm after is the deepest, cleanest, and hopefully tight bass for under $600

I do agree, I'm going to pass on the Titanic. One more sub I could throw into the mix is the paradigm 2200, which seems to be $600 since its been discontinued.

I'd have to say my choice right now is between the SVS PB12 and Paradigm 2200.

Any suggestions, maybe i'm missing a sub in this level :)

:D

Mike_Cif

Stunt Coordinator

While I do agree 10inch subwoofers can produce some great results, this really isn't fair but if you compare a 10inch and 12inch of the same model the result is more deeper and fuller sound, atleast to my ears with the bigger driver. Without a question for music and for example in my car I prefer 10inch woofers, but for home theater I believe a 12 would be better, atleast for me.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member

That's because most 10" and 12" drivers from the same line use the same motor structure. So you pretty much get the same Xmax but with a larger cone on the 12". This gives you more total Vd (volume displacement). But when you are comparing subs from different manufacturers you can't just say that the sub with the 12" driver is better than one with the 10" driver as you don't know the specifics of each one. What if the 10" has a 20mm Xmax and the 12" only has a 10mm Xmax? Also, there's no reason why a 12" driver cannot be just as good for music as a 10" driver. My 15 sounds better than any 12" or 10" driver that I've heard.

All I'm saying is don't fall into the trap of making generalizations about subwoofers based on driver size.

That being said, if asked to chose between the PB12 and the Paradigm I'd take the PB12.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks