Thundarr the Barbarian

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by roark, Feb 7, 2008.

1. roark

roark Auditioning

Any rumors on when this series will finally come to DVD? It seems the Hanna-Barbera titles are not coming out as often as they used to . . .

2. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

At one of the animation chats WB said they would "look into" Thundarr. I haven't heard anything since then.

3. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Screenwriter

Boomerang is showing it at 1 a.m. You might just want to tape it.

4. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

It was actually made by Ruby-Spears and not Hanna-Barbera and that may have something to do with its release.

5. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

No, I dont think thats the reason.Ruby Spears Richie Rich segments will be on the richie /scooby hour dvds in May.For Thundarr , Warner is probably still undecided if they should release it or not.I would definitely get it, and while we are at it, how about Pac- Man cartoons ???

6. David Levine

David Levine Supporting Actor

I believe Warner owns the show.

I wonder if they're waiting to see how Space Ghost and Birdman do before they decide on Thundarr and The Herculoids.

7. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    Creator Steve Gerber recently died, he also created Howard the Duck. Here is a link to his blog:

stevegerblog

It is a shame that he could not have been involved with such a release. If ever one comes, I hope a tribute is made.

8. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Stunt Coordinator

Anthony DiPaola
  9. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    About bloody time. I need Thundarr and his fabulous sun sword!

10. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    YES!!!

Every young kid needs a saturday morning cartoon based on the global apocolypse, rise of monsters, slavery, and evil wizards. I keep waiting for a great scifi movie on this, but I will deal with the DVDs!

11. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Think they will need to re-do the error on the box. Its not a Hanna-Barberra show its a Ruby -Spears show.

12. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Supporting Actor

True, but HB now has the rights to the show, so it'll be under the HB banner even if it is a Ruby-Spears show. I'm sure that the Spears credits will be intact though.

13. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

14. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    A 21-episode cartoon from 1980 with no ties to any existing franchise (ie. Justice League, Scooby Doo, etc.), with no big name voice talent and little more than nostalgia for the people who do want it...and you really think there are enough fans who would run out and buy the set from the store? Enough to justify the cost of pressing discs, shipping to the store and having them sit there until the price budges off the $20 price point? Thundarr may have a cult following, but that's pretty much it. Personally, I'm happy to finally be getting the episodes.

15. SWFF

SWFF Screenwriter

Shawn Francis
    God, I loved this show when I was a kid. Think I was in Grade School when it was on. Favorite episode: STALKER FROM THE STARS.

I just checked, Warner has it up for pre-order already.

16. AndyMcKinney

Well, there have been plenty of series in the past that would fit that description that have gotten releases (not a cartoon, but Ark II, Jason of Star Command, The Ghost Busters, anyone?). True, Thundarr does have a cult following, but I get the feeling that WB either are underestimating interest, or are just wanting to "cheap out" here and make a fast buck (the cynic in me suggests the profit margin on these is probably quite a bit higher than on pressed media. Really, $30 for four burnt discs?). I have a really, really hard time buying a DVD-R of any sort, even from a studio.

While it was only 21 episodes, it ran for at least two seasons. Most Saturday morning shows didn't have a lot of episodes per season (and most had fewer 'new' episodes each additional season they were on the air).

As much play as Thundarr has gotten on Boomerang over the years, and with character design by the legendary Jack Kirby and writing by the likes of Marty Pasko and Mark Evanier, I'm sure there's plenty of cross-over buying potential from comics fans here. I think if they were to promote a release at ComiCon, they'd do quite well. This series might be better remembered than you may think.

17. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

You gotta be fuckin' kidding me.

Damn, and I really wanted this series on DVD too. There's no way I'm laying out thirty bones for some some half-assed, one step above pirated DVD-R. No thanks, Warner.

18. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Ark II and Jason of Star Command both came from Navarre/BCI. I'd assume they have a smaller amount of discs they needed to sell to turn a profit. Plus, remember, Navarre/BCI is out of business. They put out some very good releases, but they overestimated the fanbase for these shows, leading to their closure. I'd love to think Thundarr is going to fly off the (online) shelf. Maybe get a new series or a movie of some kind.

Yeah, I'm disappointed in the $30 price point too. I was expecting something closer to $20. I will probably bite on these discs just because I've been waiting so long for the show. Good think WBShop sent me a $5 coupon over the weekend...

19. AndyMcKinney

Yes, I'm aware the Filmation shows came from BCI--I helped provide footage, stills, etc. for several of the live-action ones, and I do realise they were a small company and are out of business (though Mill Creek has been re-releasing some of their former product).

Maybe if he's still hanging around here, David Levine can chime in about the overhead/costs and what was needed to turn a profit, but I wonder if WB might have actaully been in a better position to turn a profit. Look at it this way: BCI had to pay licence fees for all the shows they released. WB is the copyright owner of these shows, so it's not like they'd have to pay for the rights to Thundarr: they already own it! I just think they could've done better. It's not the highest-profile cartoon series, but it's not the lowest, either. Perhaps they could've done a limited production run (say, 5-10,000 copies), number them and, I dunno, make them an online or Amazon exclusive for that same $30 price point. I don't see they'd have much of a problem, to be frank.

Anyway, the decision's been made. I have VHS tapes of the episodes from Boomerang, and these DVD-Rs aren't likely to be all that much better in quality, so I'm going to sit this one out. If it is a bigger hit than they think and they release pressed discs later, I'll join the party.

20. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes

Seconded!